R+R 8-3/4 rear bearing and seal pics

Author Topic: R+R 8-3/4 rear bearing and seal pics  (Read 65425 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
R+R 8-3/4 rear bearing and seal pics
« on: July 15, 2007 - 09:51:36 AM »
Since I had my axles out, I decided to change my 38 yr old wheel bearings and seals.  Some people think that the diff lube greases the bearings. Wrong; they use wheel bearing grease just like the fronts.  I DO NOT USE GREEN BEARINGS. They use ball bearings and don't have the contact area for side loading like the factory tapered-seat, roller bearings. Too many stories of those going bad after a few years.  Those are for drag racing only.

Here are a couple of pics on how it came apart and what you need to buy to get this done. The inner seal keeps the diff lube out of your wheel bearing.  The outer seal keeps you wheel bearing grease out of your brakes or brake dust out of your bearings. The metal gasket seals the brake backing plate to the housing. The foam gasket also helps to keep any wheel bearing grease out of your brakes and goes between the bearing retainer and backing plate . I got my metal gasket and foam gasket from Fel-Pro.

Collar has to be split to release it’s hold on the axle.
I split it with a cutoff wheel on an electric grinder then shoved a chisel right into the cut. I fell right off. 

You could now use a press to pull the bearing off, but I don’t have one so,  I then cut the top of the roller bearing cage and pulled out all of the bearings so I could split the inner race after cutting off the outer race and bearing cage. Try not to nick the axle while cutting any parts off.

I took  the axle to a friend's press and used the old split collar to press on the new collar. Use anything to lube the axle before pressing the bearing and collar. WD-40 works, but I used what was close by, tranny fluid.  One pic shows a grease needle that I picked up at a tool guy’s tent at a swap meet. I then noticed that my All-Pro Auto Parts  had one on their wall. It sure beats the messy hand packing or bearing packing tool that I used to use.  It gets the grease right into the bearing.

When installing the axles, put the LEFT (drvr's side) non adjustable one in first and tighten it down. Back out your bearing adjuster on the right axle and tighten down the 4 of the 5 axle/ bearing retainer bolts. Leave the one off that holds the adjuster lock plate. Your adjuster should be able to turn with the other 4 bolts tight. If not, find out why it doesn't turn.   I then tighten down the adjuster while turning the axles to sqeeze out the grease, then back it out a little till I hear a little end play by using the push-pull method on the axle. Then tighten it down leaving a couple  thousands for expansion, then put the lockdown plate on.  You must leave a little play in there for thermal expansion or you will burn out the bearings.  If you can't tighten down the end play, you might be missing the center block or pins in your posi. Look into the housing to see if anything is missing.  Some of those pins used to fall into your gear lube when you pulled the axle.  If you are changing over from green bearings, you may be missing the pins. The older style sure-grip, common to 742 center sections used these. Open and cone-style didn't use them.  So if you now have the clutch style posi in any center section, look for these  pins. You should not be able to look all the way through to the other side. Pins are now availabe repro. I see them on Ebay.
Total time including driving to use my friends’s press was about 1-1/2 hours.

Rob
Edit: My pics were gone so they are now hosted on photobucket.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010 - 03:34:15 AM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: R+R 8-3/4 rear bearing and seal pics
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007 - 09:57:53 AM »
Great info Rob.  :2thumbs:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007 - 12:25:40 PM »
 :2thumbs:   :iagree:  That is definately one thread to help anyone out. Thanks Rob. I just figured (other thread) that since you had went to the point you already were at, changing the berrings would be a logical step. I really didn't think it would be this detailed but did have a grasp of what may be involved. Thanks again Robb.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007 - 02:30:36 PM »
It's good stuff to know since those bearings have to be greased once in a while. If that outer seal needs to be changed, the collar has to be cut and bearing pulled off.  After you do yours, you'll be able to help others with theirs.

If other readers have never greased their wheel bearings, pull your axles out a few inches and grease them before they fail.  Or better yet, pull it all the way out, wash out all of the old grease with brake-clean or gasoline, and re-grease it with a fresh wheel bearing grease.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline dtedler

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007 - 01:52:17 PM »
Robb, great info.  Thanks.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008 - 08:59:21 AM »
:popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008 - 05:32:02 AM »
  A good explaination, I have only heard about the rear axle bearing adjustments but as I don't have a w/shop manual on my Challenger I have been in the dark. There is nothing wrong at the back so I have left alone until I am ready.
  The buttons or pins in the centre, I have an open diff centre, do they still have them?   :popcorn:
  As I have been a mechanic for too many years, I would have thought that the bearings were on back to front, but with the adjuster it makes sense and it looks like they may be run drier than a normal rear axle bearing.   :working:
Dave

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008 - 08:55:08 AM »
Rob, Thanks for the how too w/pics...Seems simple enough. One question, you have inner seals in your picture, I assume you pulled the third member to install them. What was involved to install & under what, if any, circumstances would you not replace those seals?

Thanks
Wade
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008 - 09:58:39 AM »
  A good explaination, I have only heard about the rear axle bearing adjustments but as I don't have a w/shop manual on my Challenger I have been in the dark. There is nothing wrong at the back so I have left alone until I am ready.
  The buttons or pins in the centre, I have an open diff centre, do they still have them?   :popcorn:
  As I have been a mechanic for too many years, I would have thought that the bearings were on back to front, but with the adjuster it makes sense and it looks like they may be run drier than a normal rear axle bearing.   :working:
You have to pack the rear axle bearings on an 8 3/4 the same way as you would front wheel bearings.  The seal keeps the bearings free of diff oil wich would break down the wheel bearing grease. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008 - 11:01:37 AM »
the inner seals are installed easily from the outside end of the tube , there is no reason th epull the center section to change them

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008 - 12:03:11 PM »
Is this basically the same for a Dana 60?
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008 - 12:06:42 PM »
If the Dana 60 has the same axle set up as the 8 3/4 pictured then yes would be your answer. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008 - 02:47:43 PM »
Rob, you have inner seals in your picture, What was involved to install & under what, if any, circumstances would you not replace those seals?
Wade

Wade, if you pull an axle out and look into the axle tube, your see the seal right there. The smooth part of the axle (next to the bearing retainer collar) is what it seals against.  Very easy to pop out and replace if you have any leakage.

The buttons or pins in the centre, I have an open diff centre, do they still have them?   :popcorn:

No buttons or pins on an open diff.  Look inside and you will see a sliding block that moves side to side to load the driver's side axle bearing. It does not fall out.

You guys should pack your rear bearings with new grease if you have never done it before, and do it soon.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008 - 04:57:50 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008 - 03:53:28 PM »
Rob which car are you working on and how is the Cuda coming along? I have not had to do this in a few years and it is pretty simple once you get going.
Jeff

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008 - 04:18:54 PM »
The Cuda is in Tim Ziegler's garage for block sanding.  I got tired of the big mess of sanding. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008 - 11:08:53 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob