Author Topic: Why show a new car???  (Read 3353 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Why show a new car???
« on: July 15, 2007 - 06:04:36 PM »
I was at a local cruise-in last night with the Challenger. It was a good time with a lot of classics and antiques. I actually saw more Mopars than I ever have. There were actually 3 (yes, that's 3) Challengers!! I noticed a 2007 Mustang Shelby GT parked across from my car. He had the hood up and was proudly displaying a large blue ribbon from the "Horsepower Show" that was at the Colonial Downs horse track in VA the same day (earlier). It's a pretty big show, maybe 400 cars. I just don't get it?? :dunno: Nothing against the Shelby, it's a great car, nice lines and a TON of power, but why show a new car? :clueless: Where is the sense of accomplishment in winning a ribbon for buying a new car?? I see it a lot at shows now. I was thinking about showing my wife's mini van!! :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: I mean really. When I show my car and if maybe I am lucky enough to place, I get a real sense of accomplishment in knowing that it was acknowledged for all the hours of work I put into restoring the car. What pride and accomplisment would I get in showing my wife's mini van?? I guess the pride in knowing I can get a trophy for buying a new car!! :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Why show a new car???
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007 - 06:07:08 PM »
Because whoever puts the show on doesnt put any stipulations against that in there. I've been to a few shows where they have had 'minimum three modifications to 1975 and up' or something like that.  :clueless: i never understood it either.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007 - 06:20:51 PM »
Well I guess they are in a class all their own, but I shouldn't suggest a name.  :villagers:  Yes, they deserve I guess a right to enter a show, but as Goody said there also should be a "class" just for them. I actually went to a show a couple years ago where a new Ferd lightning truck had dealer plates. It was a judged show, so what were the judges supposed to find overly incorrect or wrong with a vechicle with about 50 mile on it? Terd brains !  :roflsmiley:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007 - 06:27:24 PM »
Because whoever puts the show on doesnt put any stipulations against that in there. I've been to a few shows where they have had 'minimum three modifications to 1975 and up' or something like that.  :clueless: i never understood it either.

Maybe the show promoter wants more money so he will open up the entrys to any idiot who can get a loan for a car

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007 - 08:44:44 PM »
You are preaching to the choir on this subject with me. :worshippy
I live in the Chicago area and have been a member of the Chicagoland Mopar Connection car club for many years.  We had some shows in the area that were really getting to be national level back in the late 90's with 400+ beautiful vintage mopars showing up for some of the shows.
Around 3 or 4 years ago the club started opening up the shows by adding late model car classes.  One show in particular, the spring Naperville show, really got out of control.  They not only put in classes for cars like Neons, new Chargers and 300's, Rams, PT cruisers, etc.  they added insult to injury by putting these classes up front and center on the show grounds.  I kid you not, the low number classes are all Neons, FWD, etc.  During trophy presentation, the process goes sort of like, "For class 1, Neons modified, best fart can exhaust goes to Bobby Teenybopper!! Congrats Bobby, and congrats on getting your license last month!!  On and on it goes, "Class 10, best Magnum, Joe Schmoe, congrats on your trophy, glad the dealership was able to get your car delivered yesterday in time for the show today!!!
So us old timers stand around for 30 or 40 minutes, finally they announce in a bored voice, "Class 30, stock Challengers, Al Smith, for his stock hemi Challenger (yawn) here's your trophy (yawn). 
And they wonder why attendence at the show is down 50% in recent years?? Duhhh!!
I was at one of their shows today, and I got my participant ballot which had approximately 10 classes on it.  I get through the first 7, which were nice classics, but the last 3 were Neons and new Chargers.  I filled in my Choices for the first 7 classes.  For the last 3 I wrote "Too New!!!!!!!' And "Come back in 20 years!!!!"  :roflsmiley:
I thank them for the opportunity to express my opinion on new cars at shows!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007 - 08:53:55 PM by JH27N0B »

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007 - 09:12:40 PM »
That seems to be what's going on everywhere . . .  :dunno:

nivvy

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007 - 09:41:38 PM »
My number one rule for a car show would be no cars allowed that you can go to a car lot and see!!!!

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007 - 10:23:49 PM »
My number one rule for a car show would be no cars allowed that you can go to a car lot and see!!!!
Exactly!  I have a big Chrysler Dodge dealership less than a mile down the road.  Rather than drive my valuable irreplacable Challenger burning 10 mpg 30-60 miles one way to a car show to sit among rows of new cars, I can head down the street to the dealer to see them. I can sit in them too, and a nice salesman will probably ask me if I want to take one for a test drive.  Maybe even give me a cup of coffee??
If I walked up to one of these new cars at the show and sat in it, the owner would probably physically drag me out.  If I tried to take it for a drive, they'd arrest me!
I hope to get a 2009 Challenger when they come out.  But I have told several people if I try displaying it in a show anytime before 2025 they have my permission (and request) to beat me over the head with a bat!

Offline bandit67

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007 - 01:34:09 AM »
In 1982 I ordered the only new car I have ever bought, a Z 28. I took the car with my local car club to an out of state car show. They began to protest when I told them I had no intention of entering my new car and thought it was stupid to enter a new car.   I was winning all the aruguments until a member said  So, you want to park it out in the field where some careless kid can slam a car door into it. You know how black cars really show door dings.  Well , that one got me and I brought it in.  Ended up winning a set of turbo mufflers and a ice chest, so , I am a bit more tolerable about that in my old age.........J

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007 - 07:28:20 AM »
 :pullinghair: YUPE,leave them at the dealerships..............................
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007 - 08:16:15 AM »
Maybe they want to see who exhibited the most creativity when applying new tape stripes and custom wheels.

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007 - 10:00:59 AM »
first show i ever tryed to attend with my 70 r/t , i was rudely turned away at the gate, this was 1993 and the cut was 1968, had to be 25 years old.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007 - 10:55:49 AM »
This is a big deal at the Woodward Dream Cruise too.  My car is not now nor ever will be a show car, so I don't have too strong an opinion one way or another; I like seeing cool cars, whenever they were made.  Another issue at Woodward though is that many of the locals who live close to Woodward HATE the cruise (it interferes with getting the kids to soccer practice or something like that) so some of them will purposefully get out the newer cars to make it more congested so the musclecars and antiques will go away.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007 - 11:20:36 AM »
That seems to be what's going on everywhere . . .  :dunno:

I think it's because of a number of things.

* Older cars are getting harder to find and many car enthusiasts are getting priced out of the picture.

* Promoters are trying to appeal to a wider range of enthusiasts to help raise more money.

* Many of these people are using their cars as daily drivers as well, something that most of us don't do. 

* They're trying to attract new vehicles because, many times, it winds up being the same people with the same cars, especially at the local or smaller shows.

* The current generation doesn't have the same feelings about the older cars that we do. Their Challengers and Cudas are the Neons and Eclipses of today, because that's what is readily available.

Let me tell you a little story. Occasionally, I write stores for a local car mag. Not much, but mostly just coverage of local shows. A couple of years ago, I went to a local show, and saw a guy there, with a mid-80's something car. The guy reminded me of the Joe Dirt movie. The car had hand painted flames, fun fur, a crappy paint job, the whole works. Everyone was making fun of him, including me, I am ashamed to admit. But he took all of the ribbing that he got very graciously, so I decided to go over and talk with him a bit. He was a young guy, with a wife, a couple of small kids, and a minimum-wage job, so he had trouble even just making ends meet, yet he managed to save a few pennies here and there, and used them to do a few special things to their only car. He was as proud of that car, as any owner of any of the rarest cars in the show. He had the spark that makes a life-long enthusiast, he just didn't have the resources. But, because this guy didn't have a rare ground pounder, he and his car weren't worth anything as far as people were concerned. Because his car didn't have a flawless, mirror-finish, twenty-foot deep trailer queen paint job, they were not suited for anything more than ridicule and contempt. It was at that moment, as I talked with him and realized his level of enthusiasm, that I realized that the people at that show, myself included, were car snobs, and I began to feel really, really ashamed of myself. We were forgetting that it's not only the car that is worthy of attention, but it's also the dedication, enthusiasm, and hard work that are a huge part of our hobby. It's about the love of automobiles, and the passion to own one, and make it an expression of who we are. We need to nurture that passion and dedication, not drive it away through ridicule and contempt just because the vehicle doesn't seem to be worthy of our attention. We all have to be careful not to be car snobs. By the way, the guy did win third place in his class (because there were only three cars in his class), but I don't think any Nobel Prize winner anywhere in history, was more proud than that young guy, standing in that supermarket parking lot, on that beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Having said all that, I do feel, however, that if newer models are allowed into a show, they should have their own classes, and when judging results are presented, they should be presented oldest first.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007 - 11:50:08 AM »
It used to always make me mad when new cars beat out the old ones.  Okay, I'm done with work and finally have more time to address this thread. :thumbsup: (I ran out of break time the last time I was writing in this thread.)

I've always hated it when they stick new cars that were modified into the same class as the muscle cars.  I've seen so many local shows that do this and it really 'grinds my gears' seeing this occur year after year.  I mean, c'mon, what's cooler a '74 Dodge Dart 360 that a 17 year old built for two years by himself or a 25 year old with a new Mustang or Camaro that he stuck all sorts of visual mods into & maybe some performance mods?  (This crap actually occurred at one of our local shows about a year ago.)

I know what JH27N0B is talking about as I've been to several CMC shows as well as helped get them going and can't get over the volume of new autos they let onto the show field.  As stated, they seem to push all the older cars to the back of the field, while all the SRT-4's and standard turned modified Neons take up a majority of the front section.  Nothing against SRT-4's, but new cars don't really earn the complete respect I give to the older cars because anyone with a deep enough wallet can go out and purchase one.  However, with older cars ('76 and older) you know someone has poured their hard-earned money and 100's of hours into making it what it is today. :2cents:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007 - 03:20:59 PM by Street_Challenged73 »
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin