Author Topic: Why show a new car???  (Read 3349 times)

Offline GreenFish

Re: Why show a new car???
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2007 - 02:16:08 AM »
The kids in the neons are probably wondering why all these old dudes drive cars without systems. :bigsmile:

To me, a car show isn't about classes and trophies.  Leave that to the kids to fight over.   :popcorn:

I go to car shows to see all kinds of different cars.  I really don't discriminate.  I just like looking for cars that interest me.    :ylsuper:

If someone is proud of their car, let them be.  That's what great about cars, we can all love something different.   :thumbsup:

I personally don't have any interest in dodge neons or plymouth valiants, but I do like both e bodies and vipers.    :dunno:

Be open minded.   :ylsuper:

Ive seen alot more old guys at shows crying about trophies then young guys. Some of these older guys ive seen at shows is all they do, and their cars arent even that nice. They just always know the show coordinator.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2007 - 09:37:11 AM »
O boy, I'm a little late hopin' on the bandwagon on this post so I'll try and be brief.  :smilielol:

I don't like new mixed with old. New's ok... parkem' over there...  but new dealer shet should not be in judgeing ..come on..

Some of the nicest guys (and gals) I've met have had the cars needing the most work. But could do what they could do with what they could afford! At a recent show for example, talked to a guy w/a 73 Chally. needed alot but him and is dad work on it and he was pround of it !   :2thumbs: I wish my dad would  have done that w me..  :walkaway: but's thats a whole other story. I got a nieghbor always playing w rusty ricers.. decent guy not real big on his rides but...   
it's what he can afford. The first time he saw NIKKI.. "I could never afford a car like that" I says when I was your age I couldn't either, don't worry about it.

Then there's the (what I call the) reverse snobs. NIKKI does draw some attention.. being a HEMI and GREEN! She is NO trailer queen by any means, no one is gonna tell me anythig she needs that I dont already know. The reverse snob is one that pics yours apart, but either has a hoopty or nothing at all. Or the ones that put the "clone" tag on her as soon as they see the HEMI. I prefer "one off" she is a true matching R/T except for the motor. Ya sherlock I know the HEMI is not original.   :eek7:

Next... judgeing .. I could give a flying ratsass! I know what I've got. To be honest I usually don't stay that long anyway. I get to a show , pay my doh. Look around, talk to a few people..... and leave. I bought it to drive it!  Not stand around on hot asphalt all day. There are exceptions of course, like goin' to the grove and watchin' the race action for awhile.

HEMI is MY system, well that and the 2 watt AM thats still in there. Young guys generally don't understand that. I got the bazillion watt Alpine/Infinity in the BIG GIRL (my Pontiac). Different car for a different knd of cruzin'

Enjoy what ya got, be proud of whatcha' did, and get on with it!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007 - 05:54:22 PM by BIGSHCLUNK »
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007 - 08:05:52 PM »
O boy, I'm a little late hopin' on the bandwagon on this post so I'll try and be brief.  :smilielol:

I don't like new mixed with old. New's ok... parkem' over there...  but new dealer shet should not be in judgeing ..come on..

Some of the nicest guys (and gals) I've met have had the cars needing the most work. But could do what they could do with what they could afford! At a recent show for example, talked to a guy w/a 73 Chally. needed alot but him and is dad work on it and he was pround of it !   :2thumbs: I wish my dad would  have done that w me..  :walkaway: but's thats a whole other story. I got a nieghbor always playing w rusty ricers.. decent guy not real big on his rides but...   
it's what he can afford. The first time he saw NIKKI.. "I could never afford a car like that" I says when I was your age I couldn't either, don't worry about it.

Then there's the (what I call the) reverse snobs. NIKKI does draw some attention.. being a HEMI and GREEN! She is NO trailer queen by any means, no one is gonna tell me anythig she needs that I dont already know. The reverse snob is one that pics yours apart, but either has a hoopty or nothing at all. Or the ones that put the "clone" tag on her as soon as they see the HEMI. I prefer "one off" she is a true matching R/T except for the motor. Ya sherlock I know the HEMI is not original.   :eek7:

Next... judgeing .. I could give a flying ratsass! I know what I've got. To be honest I usually don't stay that long anyway. I get to a show , pay my doh. Look around, talk to a few people..... and leave. I bought it to drive it!  Not stand around on hot asphalt all day. There are exceptions of course, like goin' to the grove and watchin' the race action for awhile.

HEMI is MY system, well that and the 2 watt AM thats still in there. Young guys generally don't understand that. I got the bazillion watt Alpine/Infinity in the BIG GIRL (my Pontiac). Different car for a different knd of cruzin'

Enjoy what ya got, be pround of whatcha' did, and get on with it!

OMG.. I know what you mean. I hate guys who come up to YOUR car and tell you what it is or what it isnt.

Mine is an AAR clone more or less, it has a 440 not a 340 and its not a 6 pack. I had a guy tell me he knew it wasnt a real AAR, he says "wanna know how I can tell" I said "how?"  he said, cus it has old exhaust hangers from the previous exhaust out the back.

I just looked at him and said. "yeah, sherlock, most people just notice the 440 under the hood"

70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2007 - 12:22:38 AM »
Usually at our local cruise in we don't get any new mustangs, just lots of new Corvettes :puke:  Dunno how people get off buying a brand new car and then bringing it to a classic car cruise in and showing it. :walkaway:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2007 - 11:32:49 AM »
For me, personally, I'd rather own a couple of daily drivers than a trailer queen. A friend of mine has an old Chrysler 300 that he has spent well over $120k on. Sure, it is probably the most awesome C-Body on the planet and has won the Mopar Nats a couple of times, but otherwise, it just sits in the garage under a cover. He's afriad to take it out, and never gets to drive or enjoy it other than to drive it in and out of the enclosed trailer. Evern though it only travels a few feet each time, he spends days going over it after each trip.

Now that's his thing, and he enjoys it, but it's not for me. I want to enjoy a car, drive it, take the kids on a picnic, take it to Walmart, etc., not spend all my time fussing over it to make everything just perfect. Maybe it's because I'm not a competitive type of guy, but I'll never own anything nice enough to enter into a show, and thats okay with me.

I also agree that dealers should not be allowed to bring a new car to a show and have it judged. If they want to be sponsors, and want to bring some cars to a seperate area for viewing, that's okay, but keep them off of the show field.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2007 - 08:59:16 PM »
I agree part of it is a lot of these cars have become "collector" cars and too expensive for some people to drive for being scared something might happen to it(like get dirty!).If I had the money I wouldn`t care what it`s worth I`d still drive a #`s Hemicuda the way it was biult to be driven.Some new cars are at least "personalized" like the chrome plastic wire covering and a couple extra gages I saw on the new Mustwang last week at a cruise!  :smilielol:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline back n black

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2007 - 11:19:48 PM »
Ive seen alot more old guys at shows crying about trophies then young guys. Some of these older guys ive seen at shows is all they do, and their cars arent even that nice. They just always know the show coordinator.

It doesn't matter if your 16 or 60, if you are fighting over a da@n trophy, then you are acting childish in my eyes.

Winning a trophy has never been part of my agenda and I don't see it ever being so.  I just plain love cars and car shows.   

I would also agree that the older crowd tends to be a little more wound up about awards.  I would assume it has to do with the amount of time and money they have invested in the hobby.  I can appreciate their stance.

I still think that even the kids with Ricers should get support.  It's their willingness to begin new trends that carry our hobby on.   

sleepychallenger

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2007 - 12:13:58 AM »
Well I guess they are in a class all their own, but I shouldn't suggest a name.  :villagers:  Yes, they deserve I guess a right to enter a show, but as Goody said there also should be a "class" just for them. I actually went to a show a couple years ago where a new Ferd lightning truck had dealer plates. It was a judged show, so what were the judges supposed to find overly incorrect or wrong with a vechicle with about 50 mile on it? Terd brains !  :roflsmiley:

same thing happened to me couple years ago, lost to a brand new mistsubisi lancer OZ that had dealer tags. i talked to the guy and he had gotten it the week before. grrr. dont mind new cars at shows, just dont let them enter in the same class as us older muscle cars