Author Topic: Lower quarter patch panel question....  (Read 3883 times)

Offline burrpenick

Lower quarter patch panel question....
« on: July 17, 2007 - 12:40:54 PM »
[b]I'm making progress on this 72 'Cuda project and plan to hold on to this one when its done, therefore, I am considering replacing the sheet metal in the lower quarters instead of patching whats there. I can tell one side is heavy with filler and the other side is bubbling. It appears there is an inner section and that the space between these collects dirt and moisture. Now for the questions:

Where can I buy these patch panels at the most reasonable price?

Can one do away with the inner paner that seems to trap the rust causing elements?

Is there some sort of brace that anchors this lower section to another part of the body....it seems to be rather weak/shaky?[/color
][/b]
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
Re: Lower quarter patch panel question....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007 - 01:10:04 PM »
Depends on your location. I found a local place and just ordered quarter skins for my 71 challenger. By getting them local I saved on shipping charges (truck shipping will cost you). I went to Goodmarks web site and looked for a place close to me.
The inner panel you are talking about sounds like the trunk extensions. They are what hold the rear quarters to the trunk area. They will most likely need replaced or patched also. I would not recomend trying to do away with them, patch them up or replace them all together.

Sounds like you are in about the same boat as me right now. See this thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=35440.0

Also I just did quarter skins and patched the trunk extensions on the trailer I made. you can see it here: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=26541.0

Dave :wave:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007 - 01:11:00 PM »
Thats a common problem with these cars.. as far as patch panels,,, there are a number of sources, and depending on the amount of problem area you have, you may be able to form your own out of 20 gauge sheet. If you want prefabbed panels you may want to look at http://www.shermanparts.com/ or http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/
As far as the underside support, well, you'll see that the lower section of the quarter is connected to the trunk extensions,  and if you dont keep the drain cleaned out it will give you problems over time.  AS far as cutting them free,,,, NO!! if you do that there will be no lower support on your quarters and if you lool down the inside of your trunk,,, I dont think you will like looking at the ground below.  Hopefull you wont have to replace the extensions  before you do remove the drain plug and try blowing all the dirt, crap, lost lugnuts and God only knows what else that has accumulated there over time Then flush it out ood with a hose.  It's rusted now so a little more water isnt going to hurt it.  A quick fix, after cleaning it out you could always flood it with por 15  but,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'm gonna get bashed for that suggestion.  it will only be a temporary fix. Either way   good luck and happy patching
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline burrpenick

thanks guy...... Re: Lower quarter patch panel question....
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007 - 07:04:07 PM »
I'm looking for the short quarter patch panels, just behind the wheels. Any ideas?

I will definitely leave that inner support, I didnt realize that extension was what supported the quarter.

Thanks, George
PS: I still need the passenger side rocker molding. I have immediate cash and/or a complete set of vinyl top molding/trim to trade. I also need the drivers side front windshield CORNER trim.
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007 - 07:23:31 PM »
Goodmark has them. http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/HomePage.html Or I guess Year One or The Paddock.

Dave :wave:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007 - 10:27:13 PM »
You could have that area rebuilt paint it on the inside and then fill it up with some spray foam, maybe halfway.

does a great job of keeping away the rust

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007 - 05:04:08 AM »
You could have that area rebuilt paint it on the inside and then fill it up with some spray foam, maybe halfway.

does a great job of keeping away the rust

Really?   ??? I would think that the foam would tend to told the water in.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007 - 06:04:37 AM »
Foam...BAD!  :( I truly wouldn't.
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007 - 06:53:35 AM »
Foam...BAD!  :( I truly wouldn't.
:iagree:  I've had many a car ruined because of this.  If it ever gets water in the foam it is almost imposible to dry out.  The water will just sit there and cause enormous amounts of rust. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007 - 10:35:07 AM »
I've seen articles in the mags over the years about cars in the rustbelt  that had this done when new and never had any rust but what do I know?

I live in Arizona  :smilielol:

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007 - 11:07:22 AM »
I think one would need to make sure you use closed cell type foam- not sure about that expanding type spray (Great Stuff) but it may be. I have some Rust Seal on hand (same as POR15) so I will try and coat it with that.

Still no offers for my missing rocker molding or windshield molding corner .........
GEORGE
currently Moparless

sleepychallenger

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007 - 11:17:15 AM »
in the past with these things i have just gotten some either thin ply wood or cardboard just to lay across the upper part of the hole (inside the trunk, level with the trunk floor) just to keep anything that i put in there from dropping down in the hole. Just my little bit from keeping crap outta where it shouldnt be.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007 - 11:32:05 AM »
I have a Chassis with that POR15 stuff painted all over it.  In the heat here it just cracks and crumbles and falls off in chunks.

(That's on my three cars in one '73 'CUDA)

At least it was a good deal but whatta POS  :hyper:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007 - 11:34:00 AM by 360cuda »

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007 - 11:44:07 AM »
I've not tested the POR15 over time but it sure SEEMS to be tough going on and for the short run its held on. Rust seal has some UV protection that POR does not, so if it was exposed to sun, then all bets are off.  It may not have been prepped well either.
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007 - 12:14:21 PM »
I've seen articles in the mags over the years about cars in the rustbelt  that had this done when new and never had any rust but what do I know?

I live in Arizona  :smilielol:
Im sure it is different in AZ.  You are dry and don't really have too many rust problems as a whole. Here in FL. where I am with high humdity a car gets damp overnight due to a temerature change. This dampness will stay in the foam and rust it's way out.  We lose car pillars due to this.  They rust from the inside out.  All of the Zebart or undercoat cars rust at the holes drilled for the rustproofing.  We do have your sun in the summer so we lose the interiors and the bodies.  No matter where you live I guess something is hard on your car.  I would still stay away from anything that can trap water against steel. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.