year one FAST

Author Topic: year one FAST  (Read 2198 times)

Offline GreenFish

year one FAST
« on: July 17, 2007 - 06:31:53 PM »
Hey guys, I was at beaver springs this past weekend and got to witness some of year one's FAST (Factory appearing stock tire) category racing.

In case you dont know, the cars have to appear to be bone stock and on polyglass tires. No aftermarket or performance parts, no headers, none of that. These guys are running 11's in a B body!  very impressive.

anyhow, I was really impressed by these guys. The power they are getting out of these cars is just awsome. At first before I saw it first hand I thought it was all suspension mods. But the granny them off the line and then just mash it. They are doing 120mph+

I would love to find out some of their tricks.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: year one FAST
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007 - 06:38:53 PM »
Here is the FAST website link.

http://www.fastraces.org/fastraces/fastgg.nsf/top-menu-items/ghp00

Check it out.  I like the idea, but they aren't as "stock" as they seem.  The key word is "Appearing" as in "Factory Appearing Stock Tire".     :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007 - 08:53:51 PM »
oh I am aware of that, but they still have to run, manifolds, the factory intake manifold, factory heads, full exhaust.. everything we take off and swap out they have to keep on. They basicly build ulitmate sleepers.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007 - 09:15:48 PM »

Yup, awesome stuff for sure. Noel and Dave Dudak(?) are great drivers with great cars.
I love that style of racing. Who needs tubs, roll cages and big blown engines to run 11s? :grinno:

I sell those DVDs down here. You should check out eBay and enter Year One or FAST DVDs.
Awesome to watch. I know they sell the 2003 and 2004 DVDs, maybe some new ones out as well.

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline kissalien

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007 - 11:34:13 AM »
I would love to find out some of their tricks.

Ask them. They'll tell you most of them.

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007 - 12:30:16 PM »
 :bigsmile: YUP,the key word here is factory appearing.  :nono: if they see anything different you'll get flagged for it.i read up on this also, and it is awesome what no's they run with a little "tricks" up their sleeves.can't remember if they port and polish the heads or not.  :dunno: have to dig my old mags out and get refreshed.if i remember right it was a road runner that was kicking butt and had the best times,could be wrong though it was awhile ago.  :burnout:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007 - 02:30:22 PM »
:bigsmile: YUP,the key word here is factory appearing.  :nono: if they see anything different you'll get flagged for it.i read up on this also, and it is awesome what no's they run with a little "tricks" up their sleeves.can't remember if they port and polish the heads or not.  :dunno: have to dig my old mags out and get refreshed.if i remember right it was a road runner that was kicking butt and had the best times,could be wrong though it was awhile ago.  :burnout:
I remember reading about this in Hot Rod Magazine, or maybe it was Popular Hot Rodding?
Anyway, the mag covered a shootout between several cars, cannot remember each of them, but a pretty serious Corvette cab, a Buick GS Stage something (Which was a real torque monster, some more torque to go than the Hemi RoadRunner). In the end it stood between the Buick and the RR. And yup, the RR came in first. :cooldancing:
Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007 - 09:29:31 PM »
The rules clearly state...
14.03 Original equipment reproduction bias-ply tires only

so these guys go this fast with very inferior tires.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007 - 10:01:52 PM »

Yup, good point 72hemi. These guys are doing it on crusty rubber band tires. They'd go a lot quicker with BFGs or similar, what most people run on real world muscle cars. These guys are a credit to muscle car owners, regardless of make. I'd love to see what import guys say about this. All they ever whinge about is muscle cars and old V8s need big blowers, big wheels, tubs, roll cages etc to run 12s. :grinno: Think again ladies.  :smokin:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007 - 05:39:02 AM »
Not trying to upset the apple cart here, but these fast times are NOT run on bias ply street tires for these cars.  In order to run the low ET's that they are running, they are allowed to run DR's. (Drag Radials).  Look at  the video I posted earlier of these FAST cars running.  They ALL have either Hoosier or M/T dr's on the rear.  No way to run low 11's or high 10's on bias ply tires in a 3800 lb car.

http://media.putfile.com/FAST-Hemi-vs-Buick-vs-Vette-Shootout

Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007 - 06:40:59 AM »
Radial tires for first timers only-

14.01 Wheels must be correct*, including correct* diameter, width and material.
Note: Width may be upgraded to a maximum of 6”, if the correct* wheel is narrower than that. Reproduction wheels OK.
14.02 All 4 wheels and tires must be same size.
Exception: Mopar TA Challenger came from factory with G-60’s on rear and F-60’s on front.
14.03 Original equipment reproduction bias-ply tires only. No soft compound tires of any kind are allowed. Retread tires are not allowed. Any car is allowed to upgrade to a maximum size tire of G-70 of the correct* wheel diameter. All cars that were originally available with a 60 series tire can upgrade to a maximum size of G-60 tire of the correct* wheel diameter.
Exception: First time F.A.S.T. participants are allowed to run normal ’non-sticky’ street radials for their first F.A.S.T. race.
14.04 Aftermarket or OEM brake upgrades are allowed for safety concerns. Every effort should be made to achieve a stock appearance.
14.05 Line locks are allowed if hidden.

I think that video was a special shootout and not a FAST legal race?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007 - 06:43:40 AM by torredcuda »
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007 - 08:33:15 AM »
Not trying to upset the apple cart here, but these fast times are NOT run on bias ply street tires for these cars.  In order to run the low ET's that they are running, they are allowed to run DR's. (Drag Radials).  Look at  the video I posted earlier of these FAST cars running.  They ALL have either Hoosier or M/T dr's on the rear.  No way to run low 11's or high 10's on bias ply tires in a 3800 lb car.

http://media.putfile.com/FAST-Hemi-vs-Buick-vs-Vette-Shootout

no, only first timers are allowed to run radials. I saw these guys running these times first had at beaver springs. 11's on bias plys .. No kidding!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007 - 08:49:52 AM »

:iagree: I have 2 meets on DVD and they are definitely stock factory correct bias tires but made new today. That's what F.A.S.T stands for: Factory Appearing Stock Tire.  Joel Nystroms GTX (426 Hemi, 4 Speed) ran a 10.92 @ 130 MPH and someone in a Corvette ran a 10.59. Some cars doing 130mph+. All internal engine work, manifolds, you name it, they could pass as concourse correct. Read up more here: http://fastraces.org/

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007 - 12:16:41 PM »
Like Kissalien said..These guys for the most part are very open with some of thier mods. They woint tell you everything, but most will give you help, on your car, if you ask. They run on bias ply tires. They were never speed rated as far as I know, but they've gone over 130 IIRC on a Corvette. In regard to how strict they can be, my dart Swinger is not legal, because of the color, and the aftermarket sun roof I have. Yet I could restamp a larger carb if it's visually similar, and hied wiring for a variety of electronis, and be totally legal if I wanted to paint a '71 color on it. They allow K&N elements, but in factory air boxes. The fastest ones are not really street cars. They look stock, but they are scienced out to accelerate as fast as possible. Hemis IIRC are well past 480 cubes now, and I think 700-800hp. That Corvette ran a 10.95 when I was there. Very cool cars, and very nice group of guys. But a little rough in the rules department for my taste.