Author Topic: Hard Starting  (Read 2173 times)

Offline trouble

Hard Starting
« on: July 18, 2007 - 06:11:39 PM »
I need a few opinions on what to look at.
I keep my 440 6pack on a trickle charger.There are times I don't start it for two months.I go into the garage and it will start right up and run great.I can turn the car off,and then start it right back up and it will be fine.
The problem is when I take the car for a ride, and then let it sit for about one or two hours. It will at times not start.
I take the air cleaner off ,close off the center carb and then it will start.What should I check out

Offline farmboy70

Re: Hard Starting
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007 - 06:58:44 PM »
Most of the time that I have had this problem it is from the poor quality fuel that will boil or evaporate out of the carbs.Todays fuel even the best you can buy are not formulated for the older style engines.
Dave

Offline buzzard

• Why is their AIR
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007 - 07:33:05 PM »
 Look down the ctr. carb and see if the pump is working. If fuel dumps it is not boiled dry. Check your choke {manual or electric}  If pump is working don't be afraid to give a couple of squirts   

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007 - 11:58:00 PM »
if closing the choke helps it is lean or boiled dry of fuel

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline trouble

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007 - 09:55:55 AM »
What does that exactly mean?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007 - 03:36:07 PM »
What does that exactly mean?

I think he means the center carb doesn't have fuel in it. You might have a vapor lock problem here, meaning your carbs are getting too hot and the gas is boiling.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline trouble

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007 - 01:03:24 PM »
If that is the case,how do I correct the problem?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007 - 01:09:53 PM »
I am dealing with another 6 pack right now that will not start , it seems to somehow siphon the carb dry when it sits , the wierd parts is the 4 bbl had no issues withhtis at all

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007 - 01:36:16 PM »
I don't want to hijack this thread but I've had an idea that I always wanted to try to solve vapor lock that I wanted to bounce off of you guys and see what you think.  Would it work to attach one or two of the little heat sinks that mount to computer CPUs to the fuel bowl? Admittedly it's not for people who have strictly original cars, but just by way of solving the problem, do you think it would fly?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007 - 07:14:23 PM »
I don't want to hijack this thread but I've had an idea that I always wanted to try to solve vapor lock that I wanted to bounce off of you guys and see what you think.  Would it work to attach one or two of the little heat sinks that mount to computer CPUs to the fuel bowl? Admittedly it's not for people who have strictly original cars, but just by way of solving the problem, do you think it would fly?

I love a guy that thinks.   :2thumbs:

The problem is, the heat is inside boiling the gas, while you hope to suck the heat away with a heat sink. The real problem solver is a spacer under the carb to get it of the hot intake manifold. At least that worked for me.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007 - 09:48:30 AM »
Let me get in on this one. Is it possible that the bowl vent tube is OPEN and and with the engine being hot is letting the fuel evaporate. I don't know if your hose is connected or not.
Just a thought....

Offline trouble

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007 - 09:28:41 PM »
When you say the bowl vent tube,where is that?When I get a chance I'm going to see if I can find someone near me to work on my 6 pack.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007 - 09:55:38 PM »
If indeed the carb is becoming dry via boiling or evaporation, then there are several remedies for this.  First, if boiling dry, then use a carb spacer to raise the carb above the intake and it acts like a little heat shield for the bowl.  This might not be a great option for the engine purist that is concerned about how it will look. If the fuel is evaporating, might not be an easy fix there since the bowl is vented to the atmosphere.  The easiest/simplest fix to cover either case would be to mount an electric fuel pump on a rear frame rail out of sight.  Simply turn on power to the pump and fill the dry bowl before you ever try and crank it.  Should fill up in 5-10 seconds -- max.  Then crank as normal.  No long drawn out cranking process that draws down your battery and can be embarrassing when wanting the car to crank when folks are present. No-one sees the extra pump, and you save your battery and sanity.........   :2cents:    :cooldancing:     
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007 - 09:02:26 PM »
The hose for the bowl vent tube should go to the air breather on the valve cover. If you don't have it connected and is just hanging there it will get additional hot air from the engine compartment. Also make sure that the bowl vent is adjusted correctly. On fast idle cam you should have about .015 clearance at the bowl vent lever, if not bend the rod to adjust. Next time I'm up by my mothers maybe we can hook up and I'll look at it...

Offline trouble

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007 - 09:35:01 PM »
The vent tube is connected.I don't drive the car that often,so I'm going to try and find someone in my area to work on my car.