Author Topic: Mice vs. Challenger  (Read 2027 times)

Offline mrob

Mice vs. Challenger
« on: July 19, 2007 - 06:08:52 PM »
Thought I would share an experience that I had last weekend when I took the Challenger out for a spin. Not a story about stomping a Chevy or Ford or blowing up something in my motor. What happened to me took me completely by surprise and I sincerely hope it doesn't happen to any of you (especially while you're driving).
What happened to me was: as I was accelerating away from a stoplight and suddenly the whole interior of the car was filled with debris. The air was filled with unidentifiable small bits of stuff that momentarily blinded me. Mind you, there are other stoplights ahead and I'm trying to brush the debris off of my face and out of my eyes without becoming another traffic statistic. I was able to pull off to the side of the road and try to figure out what had happened and that's when I saw that the debris had entered the interior through the vents (which were open because of the heat).
When I got home, I started looking around the cowl inlets for any debris that may be laying there ... nothing! So I stuck my arm into the cowl as far as I could ... nothing! Finally, I stuck a paint stirring stick further down into the cowl (near to where the cowl and the vent meet) and that's when I felt something. I hooked it with a wire and pulled it out and couldn't believe my eyes.  :o  It was a mouse nest that partially entered the vent when I was accelerating from the stoplight! All of that debris was stuff that the mouse had used to build the nest.
So a word of caution to everyone - mice love our cars. This time I was lucky and the critter didn't chew through anything vital. Hope this doesn't happen to any of you.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007 - 06:11:20 PM by mrob »

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
Re: Mice vs. Challenger
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007 - 06:16:21 PM »
They just picked a great place to live.......................Great looking car there too.
Dave or David

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007 - 06:26:32 PM »
Same thing happened to me the other day. Guess they just like purple Challengers!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007 - 06:33:16 PM »
Good case for jack stands which may keep the critters out but will definitely keep away flat spots.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007 - 06:37:20 PM »
This is very common.  Worst case I ever saw was a guy I was working for helping restore a Delta 88 hearse.  Let's just say that this guy and his wife both loved to eat, and anything left got stuffed into the glove box.  The car quit running, he parked it, and 8 months later hired me to work on it.  There was a field mouse condo in that glove box.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007 - 06:40:17 PM »
Years ago my uncle's Lincoln sat in the garage all fall & winter. He had that under his dash and the mice actually ate a good portion of the rubber coating on the wiring harness. He thought the battery was dead and had the car towed the service station. That little thing ate a number of wires. It's funny that the car didn't short out and start a fire...
Those little SOB's...

Offline inot2old

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007 - 06:42:15 PM »
Look through there closely you might find your build sheet.   :bigsmile:
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007 - 07:41:49 PM »
Geez, that's a lot of junk they stuffed in there!  Little B@stards!!! :villagers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007 - 07:42:19 PM »
A few years ago, a mouse ate a hole in the headliner of my '73 Charger SE. Found out later that when storing a car long-term, keep the sunvisors down, otherwise mice like to use them to eat holes in things you don't want holes eaten into. And of course, the headliner was in perfect condition, and the original piece to boot :crying:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007 - 08:12:45 PM »
That sucks! I always keep charcoal on the garage floor... keeps the mice away and I'm not pickin' dryer sheets outa the car all the time.  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007 - 08:18:26 PM »
I like to use dryer sheets when I store mine for the winter. It keeps the mice away, and the interior smells nice and fresh.
Dave

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007 - 08:34:06 PM »
I like to use dryer sheets when I store mine for the winter. It keeps the mice away, and the interior smells nice and fresh.

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this one guys.  I put bounce in mine, and a week later a mouse was actually building a nest on top of it.  No lie.  Needless to say I had to resort to moth balls.  Smell goes away in about a month, but you have no mice.   :2thumbs:

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007 - 09:49:08 PM »
Oh rats!

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007 - 11:19:45 PM »
I found the same thing in my Challenger after it was stored for about 4 years.   Makes you want to  :puke:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007 - 07:56:48 AM »
makes you want to get a couple of mean cats and lock them in your garage :poopoke:
dirty little meeeces
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy