Author Topic: Vanishing Point II Challengers  (Read 1673 times)

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
Vanishing Point II Challengers
« on: July 21, 2007 - 06:55:43 PM »
I made a trip to Floyd Garretts Muscle Car Museum today. The last time I was there they only had one Challenger.
Enjoy!!  :2thumbs:
 I have more mopar pics but this is just the Challengers
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
Re: Vanishing Point II Challengers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007 - 07:13:52 PM »
Nice shots but I'm confused, I read recently that none of the cars were Hemi's, they were all 440/4spds cars except for one that was a 383/auto.  I can't remember which mag it was in but it featured an interview with Barry Newman and the director. I do recall Newman saying the 440 had what seemed "too much power for the car and he thought the front wheels would come off the ground during hard acceleration."

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007 - 07:15:17 PM »
OK maybe I'm blowing it! Are these the ones with Vigo Mortensen? My bad!!!

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007 - 07:19:22 PM »
These cars are from VP 2.  Fox movie from 1998
The dirty one has a 440. Although it has 426 hood emblems
The clean one has a Hemi. It was the closeup car.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007 - 07:20:53 PM by R/T »
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007 - 07:55:07 PM »
Despite their signage, I don't think there was a movie called "Vanishing Point II."  As far as I recall, it was just called "Vanishing Point" like the original, and is commonly referred to as "the remake."

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007 - 10:51:32 PM »
Is that authentic dirt?  I liked the remake, you don't have to be high to watch it like the original one.  Don't get me wrong, I love the original, but there are parts that just don't make sense.  Maybe if I had been alive when the movie was made, maybe.......
{oo/===\oo}

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007 - 11:07:43 PM »
Is that authentic dirt?  I liked the remake, you don't have to be high to watch it like the original one.  Don't get me wrong, I love the original, but there are parts that just don't make sense.  Maybe if I had been alive when the movie was made, maybe.......

No it's not real dirt. They put light brown paint on the car so it would look the same from scene to scene.

I don't believe the original makes total sense to anybody no matter what year they were born  :lol2:

Offline Dave-R

• Challenger Message Board
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007 - 06:11:04 AM »
I don't think any of the film cars (either the original British production or the cheap Fox TV remake) had a Hemi at all.

In the remake, when they show you the hemi under the hood, you are actually looking at a Charger engine bay. A '68 I think?

The Charger they filmed belonged to a guy on the old RAMM mailing list.

Offline uthustler

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007 - 06:13:32 PM »
I don't think any of the film cars (either the original British production or the cheap Fox TV remake) had a Hemi at all.

In the remake, when they show you the hemi under the hood, you are actually looking at a Charger engine bay. A '68 I think?

The Charger they filmed belonged to a guy on the old RAMM mailing list.

in the original US and UK versions the car had 440 emblems on the hood.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007 - 03:25:49 AM »
Nice shots but I'm confused, I read recently that none of the cars were Hemi's, they were all 440/4spds cars except for one that was a 383/auto.  I can't remember which mag it was in but it featured an interview with Barry Newman and the director. I do recall Newman saying the 440 had what seemed "too much power for the car and he thought the front wheels would come off the ground during hard acceleration."

That was the original cult classic (71 version). No such thing as VP2, it was a remake. If it were VP2 it wouldn't have been a direct copy of the original with corniness added in for good measure lol Instead it would be of something like Vigo after escaping the crash and living out his life with his child etc, etc. I like both but prefer the original as it's no fuss, no nonsense Americana in the prime of the Muscle Car wars. The movie car was a 440 Magnum and if you pause it on the side on view highway shots, zoom in and you can clearly read the "440 Magnum" emblems.

I also agree with Dave. The shot when Vigo picks up the Challenger and is doing the wing-nut on the air cleaner was actually a staged shot in a Hemi Charger with simple editing. But, if you've seen it with your own eyes I guess it is a Hemi. Either way, cool cars and good colour. :biggrin:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007 - 03:54:04 AM »
iv seen that car at the floyd garretts muesum the dirty car was one of the real cars in the movie the remake with viggo its a 440 car and the other one a a white 426 hemi car!! just like r/t said!!
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline Robert1050

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007 - 03:46:27 AM »
Hey, I was a teenager when the original came out in theaters & it made total sense to me!  You just had to of been around back then......

Hey, got some bennies?

1970 Challenger R/T 440-4
1970 'Cuda 440-6 (Gone, but not forgotten)
1999 Sea-Doo XPL 69.0 MPH
1998 Sea-Doo XPL 66.3 MPH
1981 Eliminator Daytona 80.3 MPH

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007 - 12:21:52 PM »
Hey, I was a teenager when the original came out in theaters & it made total sense to me!  You just had to of been around back then......

Hey, got some bennies?

:iagree: Same here,made total sense to me.point A  :burnout: TO point B  :burnout: In so many hours,the hippy thing and such he was looking for more up's like the remake to keep him going.follow along and you'll get it.  :2thumbs:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline wiging19

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007 - 10:22:42 AM »
 :burnout: Kind of says something sad about the time we grew up.  You have a guy getting toasted and driving like a bat out of hell to some destination.  I miss those days.  Now a days you spend two hours driving thirty miles at 5mph.  Well I don't miss the being toasted but driving a car up to speed I miss alot.  :horse:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007 - 11:07:18 AM »
Thanks for the cool pics R/T!  :thumbsup:

I hate to say this, but in the remake (1998) I figured that Challenger had a 318 in it the way they were driving it.   :roflsmiley: Seriously!!!

Sorry, it's hard to keep up with the original.  I Also remember the shot of it driving out of the garage, one of the tailpipes being crooked.  I was nit picky with that movie but I was expecting a lot.  IMO, they turned it into "Little House on the Prairie" when they took out the raw edge of the drugs and the much more daring get away chase scenes.

Plot and the weird scenes here and there in the original made sense to me.  It was sort of theatrically poetic, I guess.

If I remember correctly, some of the tire spinning shots were on dirt, when there was tire spinning.  I don't remember much tire smoke in that movie...  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger