Author Topic: GOODMARK FENDER BLACK COATING ON / OFF ?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline mickey

GOODMARK FENDER BLACK COATING ON / OFF ?
« on: July 22, 2007 - 10:34:43 AM »
Hi Folks,

Should i strip away the black coating  from the new goodmark fender or lightly sand it, and then apply EPOXY PRIMER TO Fender ? The rest of car was taken down to bare metal then epoxy primer applied. 
 I tryed paint thinner on a small test area on the goodmark fender, this black coating is hard to remove. Want to do this right the first time.
                                                     ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRICIATED THXS

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
Re: GOODMARK FENDER BLACK COATING ON / OFF ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007 - 06:10:40 PM »
you do not have to, just like new OE metal panels of today you just scuff,clean and prime, but there is some that do no beleive in . this is a corrosive resistant primer. just depends on what or who you want to listen to.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline bandit67

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007 - 08:22:43 PM »
  Mickey, I posted this same question on another site awhile back and this is what I learned, DO NOT REMOVE THE E COATINGS. It is great stuff and companies have spent much in getting that process done. SOME advised me NOT to sand it at all , just shoot primer over it . Some said they believe in scuffing the surface abit for better adhedsion.  Since I was replacing a fender on a truck for my lady friends son, who I beleive would wreck the truch again,  I shot base coat staight over it.  Looked as good as the rest of the truck and I am keeping a check on it to watch for degradations.  I think for one of my restos, I would primer , block and  final coat right over the e coat....IMO ....J

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007 - 04:17:23 PM »
I run an abrasive scrubby over it. I dont want any issues down the road, and I've seen issues on other cars/products after leaving it intact. I think it depends on the coating tho too. I havent used the Goodmark stuff yet. But for my peace of mind, I strip it off the outside of the skin.

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007 - 05:26:21 PM »
I would not remove the E- coating on the fender. I am going to have my whole car e-coated once it is totally stripped down. It is what they use on cars of today.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline mickey

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007 - 08:06:54 AM »
Thanks for the repleys so far, they make our decisions so much easier, like i said, like to do it right the first time.
I did call goodmark, they also recommened that I just scuff the fender.
If i have any issues down the road well it will only be just one fender to deal with.

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007 - 12:29:30 PM »
I have left it on with several that I have worked with ,,, no problems to mention.  :2thumbs:
Hurry,, Duane the tub,,I'm Dwouning....

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007 - 04:00:02 PM »
I scuffed and epoxied them, inside and out.  I stripped the goodmark quarters though because I was doing a good bit of work to them.... it was visible to the eye that there were imperfections.  Fenders looked alot better except some edges.
70 challenger project
68 satellite