Nothing to do with cars but a warning about buying from China

Author Topic: Nothing to do with cars but a warning about buying from China  (Read 831 times)

Offline burnt orange

This story is downright scary, particularly in light of all the other revelations about stuff from China.  C'mon people, wake up and support domestic manufacturing and stay safe!  Doesn't matter if it is food, tires or flip-flops, you take your chances on the health and safety of your family if you just look at saving a few bucks.

http://www.lamanaphotography.com/walmart.htm
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Nothing to do with cars but a warning about buying from China
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007 - 02:14:46 PM »
That looks scary.   :22yikes: 

Glad they didn't buy underwear....................    :scared:   :scared:   :bigsmile:   :cooldancing: 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007 - 04:13:42 PM by Old's Cool »
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007 - 08:00:43 PM »
Related stories about crap China products
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=35071.0
There is a reason American products cost more-Unions(don`t get me started!   :nono: ),health and safety regulations=good for manufacturing employess and consumers.  :2thumbs:  I`d rather pay more for quality product than buy junk that is not safe or inferior quality,unfortunatly a lot of people just see the cheaper price and buy that product.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007 - 08:08:51 PM »
Related stories about crap China products
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=35071.0
There is a reason American products cost more-Unions(don`t get me started!   :nono: ),health and safety regulations=good for manufacturing employess and consumers.  :2thumbs:  I`d rather pay more for quality product than buy junk that is not safe or inferior quality,unfortunatly a lot of people just see the cheaper price and buy that product.

I'm with you, but for the most part. I believe that most people dont make a union size paycheck and are forced to bargain shop. The back bone of america I think only makes an average of 15 bucks an hr.   Sure lots of us make more, but for the most part, americans struggle from check to check just to stay in debt.

This post is scarey----might feet hurt, and I smell something burning.

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007 - 11:52:58 AM »
I agree with buy American--BUTTTTTT-almost all the knew reproduction parts for our prized Mopar are coming out of CHINA....All them new do-dad's-trim-sheet metal-interior parts-all made in China.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007 - 12:11:27 PM »
 :22yikes: That's really  :scared: i think the guy should have went to the ER way earlier than he did.can you say one BIG lawsuit coming here.you think walmart would have pulled them off the shelf by now.  :dunno:  :scared: truly a sad situation there man.  :villagers: what do you supose was in those sandles anyway.something toxic or what.  :pullinghair:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007 - 01:23:06 PM »
Definately a story to make you think! 

That's really freaky!  Yep, stuff from China makes you think twice now.  Remember the tainted pet food from China?  That was weird too.  :grinyes: 

Actually, I don't think the pet food was from China but something (wheat gluten maybe?) was from China.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007 - 01:46:04 PM »
Parts maybe made in China, but I bet a good chunk of the actual money made is going to who sells it here.  If all the parts for these cars were made here, most of us couldnt afford them.  Be careful what you wish for.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007 - 01:58:08 PM »
Another consideration is this:
The person that wore the flip-flops could be allergic to latex or something and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the flip-flops. Keep in mind that folks will try anything to get a free ride.......  Might not be the case, but it's worth thinking about............    :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007 - 02:10:29 PM »
That is definitely quite a story.  I know there's been problems in the past with qc overseas and I'm sure it hasn't completely diminished.  On a side note, be careful what you eat at authentic restaurants here in the states as a place I've gone frequently has just been taken off my list of places to eat.  I'm pretty sure I had food poisoning this past weekend from Chinese food.  They get their stuff shipped from wherever and must have gotten a bad batch of chicken and didn't notice it. :dunno:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin