Author Topic: Vinyl Top Installation  (Read 5214 times)

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
Vinyl Top Installation
« on: July 23, 2007 - 11:00:12 PM »
I'm thinking of replacing my original Vinyl Top.   Two questions:  1. Best place to buy one that is as "original" as possible and 2.  How hard is it to install and do right?

All feedback welcome! 

Thanks
Vermont MOPAR
VT MOPAR

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
Re: Vinyl Top Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007 - 12:29:40 PM »
They showed one going on the Challenger project last week on Muscle Car.  They usually replay them on Saturday morning on Spike TV.
Looked like a lot of tugging and pulling after it was centered.  :dunno:

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007 - 07:39:16 PM »
The two I have seen either have a foam backing or no foam backing. The vinyl top material I pulled from my car was the type with no foam backing. I when It come time I think that is the type I will put on.

Lunch

Offline basement

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007 - 12:47:01 AM »
Another alternative is bed liner. Before you laugh let me tell you that I just purchased a 70 Dart vinyl top car. Rather then put a new vinyl covering down, the previous owner bought a gallon of that black paint on bed liner and it turned out very nice, don't know if I would have gone that route. But I plan on keeping the car and it doesn't bother me how it looks in the least bit. Now, if I ever want to try and remove this stuff and go with a painted top...

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007 - 12:51:58 AM »
Another alternative is bed liner. Before you laugh let me tell you that I just purchased a 70 Dart vinyl top car. Rather then put a new vinyl covering down, the previous owner bought a gallon of that black paint on bed liner and it turned out very nice, don't know if I would have gone that route. But I plan on keeping the car and it doesn't bother me how it looks in the least bit. Now, if I ever want to try and remove this stuff and go with a painted top...

pics?

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007 - 01:37:07 AM »
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007 - 04:53:11 PM »
The vynal tops are not hard to install at all.  I have put on several.  One thing I would recomend is to dry fit it and look how it looks.  Find center of the roof and find center of the top.  Any questions just send me a message.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007 - 12:03:08 PM »

:roflsmiley:  Sorry, I'm already laughing!  I'm lacking sleep  :sleeping: so in my little demented mind I'm thinking how a rigid bed liner from an F-150 will fit over the top of a Challenger.  Sorry, just laughing to myself  :screwy:

I presume you mean some sort of spray/paint on bed liner?  Would love to see pics.  Those painted tops don't look bad either.  I saw a factory Challenger T/A with a painted top.  Didn't even notice at first.  I think Barry said it was 1 of 3 in existence.

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007 - 04:59:43 PM »
  Those painted tops don't look bad either.  I saw a factory Challenger T/A with a painted top.  Didn't even notice at first.  I think Barry said it was 1 of 3 in existence.

I know of one painter top car here in Maryland,, I see it at the Ocean City cruise,,, and it was also in Carlisle... looks pretty cool to me :2thumbs:
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007 - 11:58:44 AM »

I know of one painter top car here in Maryland,, I see it at the Ocean City cruise,,, and it was also in Carlisle... looks pretty cool to me :2thumbs:

Weird they're on the east coast.... where's the last one?  :clueless:  :roflsmiley:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline basement

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007 - 09:59:51 AM »
I know, weird as hell but here you go. Sorry I don't have better pics of the top but it was all I had on my PC now.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007 - 10:01:50 AM »
 :thumbsup:  That actually looks pretty good!

Offline basement

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007 - 10:09:53 AM »
See who has the last laugh now. :roflsmiley:

Offline basement

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007 - 10:11:20 AM »
Maybe this is better.

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007 - 12:46:00 PM »
It better look good, cause its pretty permanent! 
70 challenger project
68 satellite