Author Topic: Best way to get a Shaker Hood  (Read 7544 times)

Offline Mopar_Mudder

• I'm a llama!
Best way to get a Shaker Hood
« on: July 24, 2007 - 10:12:31 AM »
Need to get a Hemi Shaker set up for a 71 Cuda. I don't have a flat hood to even start with. I have used the search and searched the net and their seems to be a few places to buy the entire package from. But I worry about which ones are quality and which are cheap junk, it HAS to look like it is original. I don't want to be cheap but what is the most economical way to get a quality shaker set-up.
1971 Hemi Cuda

2005 SRT-10 Regular Cab Flame Red.   12.771 @ 109.67 <-----Time Slip --Video
Mopar: Headers, Exhaust, Ram Air, ECM

2008 3500 Mega Cab Dually, Resistal Edition

Offline moper

• Resident
Re: Best way to get a Shaker Hood
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007 - 12:15:22 PM »
Wait a couple months, and buy the repros beign finished now. You cant be cheap and have a shaker. In one form or another, you have to pay. But, conversions and flat hoods will far exceed the ticketed price with the bodyworking required to have them look really nice on a finished car. It's not just the parts, but the work too, that should be priced.

Offline Mopar_Mudder

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007 - 12:53:34 PM »
Who is coiming out with reproductions? I don't mind a repro as long as it is the same quality as the original. I know some of the repro trunk lids and parts I have seen for other cars are flimzy at best, thats the only thing that scares me.
1971 Hemi Cuda

2005 SRT-10 Regular Cab Flame Red.   12.771 @ 109.67 <-----Time Slip --Video
Mopar: Headers, Exhaust, Ram Air, ECM

2008 3500 Mega Cab Dually, Resistal Edition

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007 - 06:45:11 PM »
Quality seems to be the question right now???  Nobody has them.  So no answers.  We shall see if they produce this hood.

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007 - 08:27:44 PM »
I would be surprised if the repro hoods are as good of quality as an original flat hood converted to Shaker using the Harms or other kit.

My fingers are crossed that I'm wrong, though. :-)
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007 - 08:30:20 PM »
There is a company that sells complete kits on ebay every now and again for around 4300. All you have to do is install the components and paint accordingly, from what I understand.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007 - 08:40:15 PM »
If you can locate a flat hood I can supply you with the best Cuda or Challenger Shaker conversion kit on the market to convert your flat hood into THE most authentic appearing hood you will be able to get (and this includes the promised soon to be released complete hoods, I've seen the prototypes).

Keep in mind that any complete hoods to be offered will look pretty good based on what I've seen, but they will be manufactured in Asia from softer steel than Chrysler used back in the day,  also, if you want a correct 1970 style hood, no cigar, they are only going to be made in the 71 and later "crush zone" style, and based on the prototype, will have several other small differences as compared to an OEM hood. Flat hoods dent easy enough and low carbon steel makes it even worse, a factory flat hood will have much better integritty.

Best part? Our price! $499.00 :bigsmile:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007 - 08:45:02 PM »
Scott, your shaker kit price went down 250 or more?   If so, thanks very much for staying competitive :2thumbs:

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007 - 08:50:50 PM »
Yes, we dropped the price (A TON), so no, we are'nt getting rich selling them for that, but what the heck, it's not always about the money
 :thumbsup:

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007 - 11:08:07 PM »
Yes, we dropped the price (A TON), so no, we are'nt getting rich selling them for that, but what the heck, it's not always about the money
 :thumbsup:

That is good stuff, anyone got a flat hood for sale LOL!!!   :stirpot:

Cuda Guy

PS Im just playing, I have like 0 money right now LOL!!!!
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007 - 11:15:36 PM »
I have 1 flat hood on hand if you can't find one, a customer left it here for me to sell for him, nice hood, no rust, no repairs, couple repaints. He wants $500.00, definately not cheap but if you come up short finding one elsewhere it's available. It's the 1970 style with no crush zones.

:cheers:

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007 - 01:07:18 AM »
I just bought a flat hood for my cuda, Ill be calling your soon. Great to hear the price dropped, I have some of your other products as well. Everything ive ever bought from Harms was top quality. Thanks

:2thumbs:
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007 - 02:03:52 AM »
Thanks and you're welcome Fish! I appeciate your past and future business :cheers:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007 - 05:53:46 AM »

Hey Scott, I'm still keen on you organising my hood for me. Let me know via PM how we go about it. I'll buy a flat hood and ship it to you and you get someone you're happy with using your kit to create the perfect hood.

nz440rt@xtra.co.nz :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007 - 04:44:58 PM »
Scott, I've seen your parts (not installed them, but seen them). They are first rate. But..they aint a full hood. All the ones I've seen converted (5 or 6 by now) needed a lot of work after the fact to make them presentable. As much I lean away from buyijng foreign, the fact is, if you guys had lower priceswhen the stuff was first released, I might have bought then. My own position money wise hasnt always been the best in terms of "car money"..lol. I think it's great you dropped the cost. But that's because you have either cleared the production costs finally, or are worried about the competition. Nobody lowers prices for no reason besides feeling nice today. I had my spies at Carlisle too. What I heard (and saw in some detailed pictures)is they are good to very good even in prototype form. The guys I know are very familiar with whats available in steel replacements from various sources and have used most of it for A,B and E body work they were paid to do. Not hobbyists. In fact, one bought a flat hood from me a few years ago and did the conversion. I cant recall if it was yours or not. It took 10 hours of body work labor to flatten things out to where it's presentable. And filler gets marked much faster than low carbon steel. I dont plan to test how much force it takes to dent my cheap imported hood...lol. But if I can buy it with a ring for $1000, and dont have to find another flat hood, and only have basic flattening to do to fit it, I'll be happy. I applaud you for taking the time to make all your products, and to make them "right". But perhaps the market segment you are/were targetting may be shifting slightly to less volume as more options come on the market.  You might want to partner up and offer an entire conversion kit with a complete hood. That would be cool for us too. :money: