Author Topic: Best way to get a Shaker Hood  (Read 7543 times)

nivvy

Re: Best way to get a Shaker Hood
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2007 - 09:34:57 PM »
I shouldnt have sold my flat hood for $50.... :pullinghair:

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2007 - 09:56:13 PM »
Anyone know when these new hoods are for sale? I can't see them online or even advertised as: "Being available or Coming soon!!". Also, if anyone gets one please let the rest of us know. I have money in hand & I'm ready to buy as the dollar is strong but slowly dropping back down. Also, if anyone knows of a real shaker hood, please let me know. 

Is AMD the hood that everyone has been waiting on?  Or is it another company?

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline 67Vette427

• My other car is not a Rambler
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2007 - 09:57:36 PM »
I thought it was Ted/Stephens Performance but not sure.
1 of 1 Mr Norm's T/A/ 2015 Hellcat, sublime/ 13 Power Wagon

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2007 - 10:05:22 PM »
Ted is driving over to amd to pick up a load to sell.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2007 - 10:52:52 PM »
Al have you seen these hoods yet?  If so what are they like?  Also did you get the email I sent you?

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2007 - 01:22:49 AM »
Goodmark is the company that advertised (a full color page in MCG I believe) that Shaker Hoods were "comming" several months back.

Then AMD (a new company that Ted Stephens is somehow involved with) came out with them first, I believe an ex Goodmark employee heads that company now. Due to the release of AMD's hoods I don't know if Goodmark will still be offering them or not, if they do they are likely going to me made at the same stamping source in Taiwan and will be of similar quality accordingly.

Last I heard (after the Mopar Nationals)AMD would not have any ready for sale until a container arrived (a month or two away?). There are several prototypes already being shown around (Carlisle, Mopar Nationals, etc.) but I haven't seen any available for sale to the general public yet, nor have I heard of anyone who has painted one and fitted it to a car to check for fit/finish problems if any.

:2cents:

*Although I am direct competitor of these companies I wish them no ill will, there's something for everybody now, it just depends on your budget, your build goal priorities in terms of accuracey, and your abilities, as to which product is best suited for you.
 :cheers:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2007 - 02:49:40 AM »

Al have you seen these hoods yet?  If so what are they like? 

Cuda Guy

:iagree: Can't wait to see these hoods, most of the repro stuff out these is from Taiwan, some good, some bad.

Hopefully their professional service is good too.  :wave:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2007 - 02:52:54 AM »
I was at the Goodmark shop in so cal last week to pick up some boxes to ship my fenders, we got to talkin about the new stuff coming out and they mentioned the shaker hoods will be out in a couple more months (before year end for sure), I specifically asked if they were going to be the thin chinese made stamped steel and they sain no, that they would be quality think gauge steel made here in the USA.  They also had a beautiful '70 Cuda grill on the shelf, when I asked about that they said it was a prototype for their soon to be released repop grill.  It looked awsome, had the stainless trim and everything that was also going to be repoped, so the whole thing will be available soon. They will not be repoping the '71 grill however.  Just though you guys would like to know what was going on with them...

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2007 - 03:12:32 AM »
I was at the Goodmark shop in so cal last week to pick up some boxes to ship my fenders, we got to talkin about the new stuff coming out and they mentioned the shaker hoods will be out in a couple more months (before year end for sure), I specifically asked if they were going to be the thin chinese made stamped steel and they sain no, that they would be quality think gauge steel made here in the USA.  They also had a beautiful '70 Cuda grill on the shelf, when I asked about that they said it was a prototype for their soon to be released repop grill.  It looked awsome, had the stainless trim and everything that was also going to be repoped, so the whole thing will be available soon. They will not be repoping the '71 grill however.  Just though you guys would like to know what was going on with them...

Awesome, steel gauge and good quality. Should be a great selling product.  :clapping:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2007 - 08:26:55 AM »
Al have you seen these hoods yet?  If so what are they like?  Also did you get the email I sent you?

Cuda Guy

Ted had told me a couple of weeks ago that they were already on the ship and enroute. He had said he was taking his rig over to AMD in Georgia and bringing  some over to his place in around 45 days. That was around 10 days ago. I have not seen the hood myself. I'm as curious as everyone else. But I would assume since they are being mass produced, the fit will be pretty good. They went off a pattern that was fit to an original car. Nothing is perfect in a world today. But I am sure we will be happy and hope they fit like the mass produced challenger sport hoods. If anyone needs me to pick one up for them and hold it till they can get it, drop me a line. Use the PM box. I am usually on my laptop on the road and use my business Email address for security reasons.

I returned an email to you Don about the wheels, I will see if you sent me more. Wireless high speed in motels gets flaky at times.

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2007 - 11:12:47 AM »
You would think, of all the thousands of people that went to Carlysle and Nats, that someone would have taken real decent, close-up pics of the hoods ('specially the underside)??? :clueless:

I'd like to see them fitted too.  I wonder why the prototypes weren't installed on a car.  They couldn't find an e-body to display them on??? :sly:
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2007 - 12:30:04 PM »
I specifically asked if they were going to be the thin chinese made stamped steel and they sain no, that they would be quality think gauge steel made here in the USA.

I have no doubt that Goodmark will eventually offer a Shaker Hood, they've been promoting one for almost a year now (when they will arrive remains to be seen). However, I would doubt the "Made in the USA" comment, this would be a departure from nearly everything else they manufacture if true, (BTW, they manufacture thier other products in Taiwan, not China) I'm thinking you may have been given some bad information? BTW, what did he mean by "thin gauge" steel?

They also had a beautiful '70 Cuda grill on the shelf, when I asked about that they said it was a prototype for their soon to be released repop grill.  It looked awsome, had the stainless trim and everything that was also going to be repoped, so the whole thing will be available soon.

Yes, they are planning on introducing a 70 Cuda grill, one that is injection molded plastic as originals were, not cast resin like a couple current vendors products. Interestingly there are two other companies who are also working on their own versions if you can believe that! Ironic how 3 different vendors decided to do them all at the same time. I have not seen the prototype at Goodmark that you saw but was told that the trim and other bolt on detail items were original parts added to the prototype grill shell. Plans do include reproduction stainless trim.

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2007 - 12:41:30 PM »
I was the one who asked them if the new hood would be thin gauge chinese crap (as we all know most all the repop metal these days are thinner gauge and inferior to the originals, and they admitted as much),again, they said no.  as to their truthfulness, time will tell I guess...

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2007 - 01:08:49 PM »
Ok, FM3, I understand.

Keep in mind that most of the Goodmark products (and AMD's as well) actually use the SAME or very similar gauge as what was produced at the factory 40 years ago, the differences are the type of tooling, the grade of steel used, and the method of stamping the parts.

Both vendors utilize a softer grade of steel (lower carbon content or similar) which results in a more dent prone panel as compared to OEM steel panels. This softer type of steel is used because the process they use (called Hydroforming) requires a softer metal. Harder steel would damage the molds they now use (which is resin based not hardened tool steel as original). This is also why many reproduction parts have softer edges, softer bends, and more draft on the contours, most of the resin molds used today have the sharp "stress riser" areas softened up with added draft and increased radius to reduce damage issues to the composit materials.

So they could have truthfully stated that the steel would be the same gauge as original, however the "Made in the USA" part I would SERIOUSLY doubt.. I'm not knocking thier products, just telling it like it is. The way the produce thier tooling is about the only affordable way to do so when producing a large part in small quantities, it's good to have so many parts available that we would typically never have available, just don't expect "NOS" detail or quality because that's not being realistic with the methods used to reproduce the parts.

:2cents:

Offline 67Vette427

• My other car is not a Rambler
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2007 - 10:17:08 PM »
I'm happy I went with the flat Barracuda hood and then converted it to the shaker. I bought a repop valance and it was crap. Like Harm's said you can feel the difference in it. I ended up welding in a patch panel where the rust was in my original exhaust valance. I bought one of the repop grills too....It went on ebay because the resin is hard to paint, lost 150.00 on it.
1 of 1 Mr Norm's T/A/ 2015 Hellcat, sublime/ 13 Power Wagon