Radiator for a Hemi

Author Topic: Radiator for a Hemi  (Read 826 times)

Offline Mopar_Mudder

• I'm a llama!
Radiator for a Hemi
« on: July 24, 2007 - 10:16:55 AM »
Going to do a Rotisserie retoration of our 1971 Cuda. It will get a Hemi in the 500-600hp area. The car is a 318 chassi so I asume that the core support is going to have to be modified for a bigger radiator. My questions is, will a stock Hemi reproduction radiator be capable of cooling a Hemi like we plan to put in? If not what are some good option on alum. radiators that will still give the stock appearance and keep the beast cool?
1971 Hemi Cuda

2005 SRT-10 Regular Cab Flame Red.   12.771 @ 109.67 <-----Time Slip --Video
Mopar: Headers, Exhaust, Ram Air, ECM

2008 3500 Mega Cab Dually, Resistal Edition

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Radiator for a Hemi
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007 - 12:41:03 AM »

I'm not sure on the make of the one I'm getting but it's a stock looking one (but aluminium) and is 26". It will be cooling a 540ci 615hp Hemi (easily). I'll be painting mine black to retain that stock look. I think it could be a Griffin? Radiator. Not sure, I put Tim in Charger of sourcing the best parts using his knowledge and past experiences.

Not sure if you have to change the core support, just swap the radiator and don't forget the fan shroud.  :2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline wiging19

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007 - 03:10:33 PM »
I've heard people talk about this aluminum radiator that looks like stock but isn’t.  I’ve been looking for it so I can make my car look stock but have the assurance of correct cooling for my new engine.  Names of the product or website would be appreciated.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007 - 04:19:45 AM »
Be Cool is probably the best for cooling a big engine as well as fitting properly but they are not cheap
 a 26 " 3 core high efficiency rad will handle it as well

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007 - 10:58:00 AM »
Some notes I found on painted vs. unpainted.

talked to a guy from a radiator shop who told me that this was not true. He said if two radiators were compared and everything but their colors were identical (one being black and the other unpainted aluminum) the black one would actually cool better than the unpainted one. He said that the only reason the manufacturers are not painting the radiators is that they are less costly to manufacture that way.

I also found some info on the internet from a radiator sales place that said that radiators are painted black because black is the best color to dissipate heat.

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007 - 11:36:38 AM »
I am running the Be Cool system in the Beast and it is pushing 800 HP.  Chryco rode with me from the Carlisle Fairgrounds back to the hotel in 90+ degree heat and the temp never rose above 190*. That little ride was 17-18 miles on the freeway at 60 mph or so.  Simply put: the Be Cool system works.  In fact we are putting the same system in a 69 496" stroker Dart that some friends are building. Already purchased the system.  It even looks purdy in the box.....     :2thumbs:     :cooldancing: 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007 - 11:38:40 AM by Old's Cool »
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"