Author Topic: 6.1 crate  (Read 2381 times)

Offline MoparCar

Re: 6.1 crate
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007 - 09:25:11 AM »
Glad to hear that. They were very nice on the phone to deal with too!
Wes

Offline gkring

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007 - 06:53:12 PM »
here's one for you.
Are 6.1 hemi long blocks available? I already have a 5.7 I bought when the 6.1 were still high. Now that they are down I wish I hadn't bought the 5.7. Probably not going to have the money to get a 6.1 before the prices go back up. I don't need the 6.1 headers, oil pan, cam, intake, since they will all be upgraded anyway. I see short blocks 6.1 are selling for $2500, how much to get the heads as well? I plan on using a big nasty comp cam and four barrell style FI intake and headers and pan to fit the Ebody. Is it worth it to just buy teh 6.1 crate and sell off the intake, cam, and any thing else not needed?
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007 - 07:54:57 PM »
I sort of went through the same thought process before purchasing mine. I was actually hoping the 392 long block would become available soon. Oh well.

I'm sure you probably could sell the pieces off pretty easily if you wanted. Another option is build the 5.7. Go to big block dart.com and take a look at one of the threads going there regarding building the 5.7. Some are saying that you can overbore that block a lot further than the 6.1. I haven't actually looked into this since I wanted the 6.1 put it's likely. The heads themselves I believe (6.1L) are a couple of grand from Mopar. And the XV intake is about $450 so that's pretty close to the whole motor if you were to buy the shortblock. The nice thing about the 6.1 crate is that you get the injectors, sensors, harness which don't come with the 6.1 short.

Wes