Author Topic: re-upolster seats  (Read 3406 times)

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
re-upolster seats
« on: July 31, 2007 - 11:09:38 AM »
OK - since the cuda is now getting fresh paint, i'm considering the costs to reupolster the seats from and back. Also the spring in the back seat needs to be fixed. How much am I looking at here. I know most of you have done it to your cars by the pics I look at weekly   :bigsmile:

Is this something a novice can do if I order from legendary? Anyone out here in NJ that can mdo this. Thanks for any help

-71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
Re: re-upolster seats
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007 - 11:22:08 AM »
I did mine in a weekend.  E-body seats are very easy to do.  You cut the old hog rings, pull the covers off.  Replace foam if needed, slide the new covers on.  Keep tight and hog ring them back on.  Then use a stream machine to work out any wrinkles.  That is how we do it at the upholostory shop I work at.

If you need a spring fixed, just a quick weld or two should keep it in place.  Take everything off the seat first.  give the frame a quick coat of paint and off you go.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007 - 11:26:53 AM »
I had never done any upholstery before I did the front and back seats in my car. The only tool I needed was hog ring plyers. Get your uphostery from Legendary.  :thumbsup: I have now also done the seat in my trailer with Legendary covers. I did it myself, and even had the guys at an uphostery shop complement how good it looks.

Save yourself some cash and do it yourself, I did and am very happy with the results.  :ylsuper:

Dave :wave:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007 - 11:45:16 AM »
Awesome guys!! Your two responses are VERY encouraging! I will do it myself.

Legenday is leather correct?? not vinyl. Am i looking at 150 for each front & back

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007 - 12:01:33 PM »
I never know it would be that easy.  Any pictures of the process?   :popcorn:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007 - 12:10:48 PM »
I had never done any upholstery before I did the front and back seats in my car. The only tool I needed was hog ring plyers. Get your uphostery from Legendary.  :thumbsup: I have now also done the seat in my trailer with Legendary covers. I did it myself, and even had the guys at an uphostery shop complement how good it looks.

Save yourself some cash and do it yourself, I did and am very happy with the results.  :ylsuper:

Dave,

Are you looking to make some extra cash to fund your resto project?   :naughty:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007 - 01:11:17 PM »
Replace foam if needed

and if available  >:(

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007 - 01:37:01 PM »
71fish,

This is a post CODY made in a "how to" thread over in the Archives Board. It's a tutorial of how he redid a bucket seat in his Cuda.

http://www.lamopar.com/How%20To%27s/Bucket%20Seats/index.htm

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

nivvy

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007 - 11:22:44 PM »
You would be sick if I told  you how much I paid for this setup..

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007 - 06:09:24 AM »
71 fish,

Kenny did my seats and he used ledgedary very nice material.I am sure you can do it.Also fish kenny decided to restore some more cars he and 2 guys are going to restore andand all due to he is only able to do 1 -2 at a time by himself so keep that in mind if you decided to resto another car.

michele

He just painted another chevelle for a buddy wow what a looker it is.all blk.
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007 - 06:24:42 AM »
The legendary stuff is vinyl.

Foam for late 71-74 E-body is NOT available, learned that the hardway many times.

This is a good read to give you an idea.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0703_1971_plymouth_road_runner_interior/

I don't have pics of my redo.  I have pictures of the finished product online somewhere I gotta find later.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007 - 07:53:35 AM »
Awesome guys!! Your two responses are VERY encouraging! I will do it myself.

Legenday is leather correct?? not vinyl. Am i looking at 150 for each front & back

Legenday has leather and vinyl seat covers.  :thumbsup: Leather just costs $$$...  :money:

Dave,

Are you looking to make some extra cash to fund your resto project?   :naughty:

Mike

No Mike, I just think it is an easy job that most anyone can do. Giving words of encouragement here for others.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007 - 11:37:21 AM »
Hi Michelle - Tell kenny I said Hi. I was away when he called a few weeks ago. We'll def get in touch. I'm glad to hear Kenny did yours,, I will give it a shot, there a great link that MEK just posted.. great stuff.

I think if Kenny was closer i would've orked with him on my car. I did find a reputable guy only 5 min from my house.. and we drove the cuda there last week. I think he's going to start on it next week. I really do hope it comes out nice.. not show mind you, but nice. I may not even drive it this fall because it's hgoing to take alot of time to peice it all back together.. and I want to do the interior and some other things.

How's your cuda? You tired of her yet? I know Kenny was wanting to look for a 71 vert for you to restore.. is that gonna happen? Personally, I like the look of the hardtops.

good to hear from you

-Ken

71 fish,

Kenny did my seats and he used ledgedary very nice material.I am sure you can do it.Also fish kenny decided to restore some more cars he and 2 guys are going to restore andand all due to he is only able to do 1 -2 at a time by himself so keep that in mind if you decided to resto another car.

michele

He just painted another chevelle for a buddy wow what a looker it is.all blk.

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007 - 01:12:02 PM »
Did you have that trailer at carlisle?

I have now also done the seat in my trailer with Legendary covers. I did it myself, and even had the guys at an uphostery shop complement how good it looks.

74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007 - 03:05:04 PM »
A little bit of a thread steal here but - what does one do if they have the 71-74 seats and the foam needs replacing plus the frame needs repair or painting?
Barry (Salmon Arm)