Author Topic: Batteries in a hybrid. What happens to them when/if they die?  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
HI guys,

Just a weird thought I always had.... I'm not that up to date on this topic.

In a hybrid car or electric car, do the batteries in the car (Not talking the one that starts the car in a hybrid but the ones repowered by the regenerative sysytem.) have a finite life?  :clueless:    What happens to the environment then?

If so, what happens to them when they are no longer of use?  I assume they are replacable if they need to be replaced.  Are they considered "hazardous waste" at that point?  Are they a danger to the environment?  I know regular car batteries can't be put on the curb with the weekly garbage.  What about these?

Thanks for any input!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
Re: Batteries in a hybrid. What happens to them when/if they die?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007 - 11:56:39 AM »
From what I understand the hybrid batteries are suppose to last atleast 10 years(could be wrong), but like you said, then they have to be replaced (hazardous).   :money:
It is also my understanding that the hybrid vehicles cause a bunch more polution in production than the standard vehicle, so why are they considered environmentally helpful.  :dunno:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007 - 12:13:07 PM »
Let's wait a few more years and see what happens.  :popcorn:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007 - 03:16:11 PM »
What I can tell you is that a few insurance adjusters that I know are already dealing with some issues related to batteries going bad....
Here 's how it goes....

"Hello,, Mr. Adjuster.... I just drove thru a huge pot hole,, bent my suspension and darn near sent me into a ditch... but now... 2 days later my electirc motors for my
hybrid car wont push the car...

Hmmmmmmmmmm................

What I DO know is that a battery replacement on a Honda Insight with no assistance from Honda is nearly 7k. 

so..... now.... how much money did you save in fuel by buying that Hybrid......????????
Hurry,, Duane the tub,,I'm Dwouning....

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007 - 07:26:03 PM »
HI guys,

I know regular car batteries can't be put on the curb with the weekly garbage.  What about these?
Send them to ALGORE!!!   :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007 - 08:25:10 PM »
From what I've read, the battery life is measured in full recharge cycles. They can be fully recharged, 300 times, 500 times, etc. Let's say that the batteries take 5 hours to charge, and you can go 100 miles. If you charge them for 2.5 hours, that's only a half cycle.

They are starting to wire together lithium-ion cells (like the ones used in laptop computers) because they produce higher output, last longer, and have more recharge cycles. I think the Tesla Roadster has 16,000 LI cells wired together into one big 900lb battery. It can go 0-60 in 4 seconds, travels over 200 miles on a charge, and can exceed 130mph.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007 - 08:47:51 PM »
Toyota has a comprehensive battery recycling program in place and has been recycling nickel-metal hydride batteries since the RAV4 Electric Vehicle was introduced in 1998. Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled. To ensure that batteries come back to Toyota, each battery has a phone number on it to call for recycling information and dealers are paid a $200 "bounty" for each battery.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007 - 10:08:37 PM »
The batteries are very hazardous and costly to dispose/reuse.  The batteries have about a 10 year span and some are actually covered under manufacturer extended warranties (I think 8 years or so.)  New batteries are EXTREMELY expensive - the cost of buying one will pretty much negate all the money you saved in gas over the past 10 years.  Of course at that point you pretty much trade the thing in for a new one.  Hopefully we'll have figured out hydrogen fuel cells by the - I think that's going to be the way to go.

And as far as the recharge cycle is concerned, hybrid batteries can completely drain in approximately 1 minute.  What I want to do know is how much heat is generated by the depletion/recharge process.  Ever talk on your cell phone while it's plugged into a charger?  Sonuvapregnant dog gets HOT...

Jeff

**EDIT**  Why the heck does it change sonuvab**ch into "sonuvapregnant dog..."  Who the heck came up with THAT one?!?
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007 - 10:54:21 PM »
Send them to ALGORE!!!   :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

:roflsmiley:  :smilielol: He'll love that!

Great link, torredcuda!  Very informative!  The comments we're real nice to read.

Thanks for all the input everyone, I've learned a lot about this topic.  :thumbsup:  I didn't know there was a recycle program for the batteries.

I think that one of the posts said it right.  That hybrids aren't the answer but they are a step in the right direction. 

It's kinda scary when you sit down and think about how finite all the resources on this little planet.   :-\
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline willhaven

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007 - 11:11:56 PM »
Yeah, as much as people like to laugh at the hybrids, they're pushing technology forward. Maybe someday we can cut our dependence on foreign oil entirely. I wonder what would happen to OPEC if nobody needed their oil anymore. :)

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007 - 07:50:38 AM »
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007 - 09:15:06 AM »
Hybrids save fuel but they use electricity to recharge the batteries so how much are they really helping?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline willhaven

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007 - 09:43:45 AM »
I don't think you have to plug them in, but I'm not entirely familiar with them. I know they recycle the energy created in braking and store that in the battery. Not sure what else. :dunno:

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007 - 11:25:35 AM »
I don't think you have to plug them in, but I'm not entirely familiar with them. I know they recycle the energy created in braking and store that in the battery. Not sure what else. :dunno:

You are correct, they do not have to be pluged in, but there are a few people who found out that if they do charge them over night, then their mpg is greatly improved. 
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar