Author Topic: Almost Got Smoked Earlier Tonight While Out On The Motorcycle  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Almost Got Smoked Earlier Tonight While Out On The Motorcycle
« on: August 03, 2007 - 11:00:39 PM »
Well, I took the Suzuki out earlier tonight to stop by and visit one of my Mopar neighbors.  Well, there's a 4-way stop sign just up the road from me.  As I pulled up to it and was stopped, I saw another car coming perpendicular to where I was sitting at the sign.  I waited as I usually do when I see other vehicles approaching me perpendicularly and it's a d@mn good thing I did 'cause this idiot BLEW the sign as if it wasn't there!!! :swear: :swear:  So as if that wasn't the worst part, this plunker hits the brakes after he crossed the intersection...Not wanting to get hit by this idiot, I dropped the hammer and got around only to see him put the car into reverse, back-up through the intersection again, then wait a while and turn right. (Which he would have seen had he acknowledged the "Stop Sign Ahead" sign as well as the 'Stop Sign' itself.  If I would've gotten hit at that intersection, that would have been the second time I had an accident on that road with the bike as it's the same one I nailed the black bear.

I drive back from the U.P. every single day after work thinking to myself how some of these people up here still have cars to drive and their lives 'cause the majority of these "Yoopers" really don't know how to drive or shouldn't be 'cause they don't hold a valid driver's license!!! :villagers: :pullinghair: :swear:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline fantum

Re: Almost Got Smoked Earlier Tonight While Out On The Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007 - 11:07:14 PM »
That's pretty scary.  And I thought things were bad here in Miami when my step-daughter was hit at a toll booth by someone who didn't even hit the brakes.

Glad things turned out okay for you.  Good thing that sixth sense was working for you.

fantum
Mike

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007 - 11:12:43 PM »
Glad to see you're OK!  My Dad always taught me to drive defensively.  You have to anticipate what potential nut jobs around you are going to do.   :faint:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007 - 12:31:17 AM »
sellthebike

;)

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007 - 01:22:35 AM »
Glad to see you are ok.   :2thumbs:

I think Friday was a day for the crazy drivers, I had several close calls just today.   :scared:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007 - 07:32:23 AM »
Over the years I have learned defensive driving or more accurately-watch out for the idiots!Good thing you also watch out for them and it`s 10X more important to do that on the bike.I ride mine to work 2-3 days a week and I`m always very carefull around cars.My last incident was when some lady tried to take a right onto an onramp from the left lane in front of me,happens a lot at this spot but I get real mad when they do it when I`m on the bike!  :swear:  :villagers: Selling the bike is an option but anything in life has risks,just need to minimize them or stay home and don`t get out of bed but even that has risks.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007 - 08:24:58 AM »
Be very very careful on your bike,I promised my wife years ago that I would stay away from the bikes until my kids were grown up.

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007 - 08:49:18 AM »
Torred, I couldn't imagine riding a bike in a larger city like that during rush-hour traffic.  I was just shocked to see this 'cause this is a very small town up here and the 4-way has been around for a long time and people still don't seem to obey it. :screwy: >:(  I've driven around campus down at school and have been in the Chicago suburbs on a bike and have never had any problems with people acknowledging that I was there.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007 - 09:10:54 AM »
Glad you're ok Mark.  I really want a bike someday, but with the way people are driving now, no way.   :walkaway:

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007 - 09:19:01 AM »
Wow, glad nothing happened to you. Pat yourself on the back for some smart biking, keep it up. Maybe even look up in the sky and say thank you. Remember the book Animal Farm...2 wheels bad, 4 wheels good.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007 - 09:57:23 AM »
Yep, those "U-pers" are a different breed up there. Great folks though. I went down in a pretty bad accident and nothing will keep me from wheelin'.
 Remember, there are two kinds of bikers, those who have gone down and those who are going to go down. No reason to sel the bike.
I look at it this way, I've been in more car wrecks than bike wrecks.LOL

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007 - 10:19:26 AM »
Street glad your ok! My brother -in-law has had more than one miss-hap with cars while riding. There are so my idiots on the road. On the local news just a few days ago they said 89,000 people in the area are driving without a valid license... 89,000  :screwy:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007 - 12:04:07 PM »
Glad you're okay.

I learned a long time ago, that when driving a bike, you have to have the mindset that EVERYONE is out to get you, and EVERYONE will do EVERYTHING possible to make you wreck.

I call it Two-Wheel-Paranoia.

Has saved my butt quite a few times.

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007 - 10:21:34 PM »
Glad you're okay.

I learned a long time ago, that when driving a bike, you have to have the mindset that EVERYONE is out to get you, and EVERYONE will do EVERYTHING possible to make you wreck.

I call it Two-Wheel-Paranoia.

Has saved my butt quite a few times.

I usually only have to have that mindset when it comes to bears, wolves, and deer while out riding.  This incident has definitely made me more cautious when I'm around areas such as stoplights and stop signs now.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007 - 10:58:52 PM »
Street

You can never be to careful!  I just had a family aquaintance get killed in a bike wreck.  He was also a Soldier.  Be careful!  Glad your ok!

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002