Author Topic: Reverse lights flash  (Read 1442 times)

Offline 70 Fish

Reverse lights flash
« on: August 04, 2007 - 06:39:52 PM »
I have a ?.  When I have my lights on my Cuda', I noticed that when I use the left turn signal the white reverse lights in that taillight lights up.  They flash in the same sequence as the turn signal light.   I do not know much about electrical stuff.  I imagine some wires were melted, but where and how do I start?? Any ideas would be helpful.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Reverse lights flash
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007 - 06:48:04 PM »
Isolating the problem between the dash & tail lights will be the 1st step...the trunk harness has a plug near the back seat so that would be the easiest to get to. ID the wires & ohm out for shorts. Hopefully the problem is there as the harness from the dash to the trunk I believe is one run so it will be more difficult to deal with.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007 - 06:50:24 PM »
I'm afraid you are right about some signals getting crossed here. Do the reverse lights operate the way they should otherwise? The back wiring harness starts behind the kick panel on the drivers side, and travels back along that sid to the trunk. Maybe wires on the trunk got pinched together, or under the carpeting along the door sill??  :dunno:  I have to admit these are weak guesses on my part.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007 - 08:47:32 PM »
most likely a ground problem , typically paint etc will force the ground through a different circuit , make sure the housings are grounded well

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007 - 11:00:05 PM »
The left turn signal 'hot' wire is crossed with the 'hot' wire for the back up light.  Start at the lights and work your way back looking for a place where they have melted together.  I have had this happen behind the rear seat before. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline 70 Fish

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007 - 09:35:25 PM »
I appreciate the responses.  I checked the ground wire from my neg terminal to the radiator cowl. It was loose.  After fixing the loose connection the problem with the reverse lights flashing with the tailights disappeared.  One thing I did notice, the left tailight did not blink as "bright" as the right side.  Any ideas?

Also, I noticed that I do not have any reverse lights.  The car has been in storage a long time, so I'm not sure if they just stopped working or have been out for a while.  I wish I knew more about electrical stuff.  Any help on both issues would be appreciated.   

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007 - 10:37:34 PM »
Wow! This is weird. I have the exact same issue with my Cuda. Back up lights don't work. If headlight switch is on, the left backup light flashes when you turn on the left blinker and the brake light goes out on that side. If the headlight switch is off, the blinkers work like normal.
Dave

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007 - 02:15:22 AM »
 :iagree:w/CP
It's a ground problem back feeding the circuit(s). 6packcuda, you have the same problem. check the grounds. You can use a jumper wire to make a redundant ground to the lamp housing(s) while the problem occurs and see if it changes. 70 fish, I had problems with my side marker lamp housings (in the trunk) not grounding correctly that were fixed temporarily by a redundant ground wire (lamps were dim on that side). Make sure the ground wire in the trunk harness is connected to a good clean ground. Also make sure one of your tail lamp bulbs isn't installed backwards - it's easier to do than you would think.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007 - 04:37:16 AM »
most likely a ground problem , typically paint etc will force the ground through a different circuit , make sure the housings are grounded well
:iagree:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline 70 Fish

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007 - 10:11:54 PM »
I appreciate all the advice. I'll be checking the ground(s) this weekend.

Offline 70 Fish

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007 - 10:14:50 PM »
One more question before I go.  Where's the best place to get a complete wiring schematic book for an e-body? Thanks.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007 - 10:54:47 PM »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!