Author Topic: Looking for thermoquad assistance  (Read 4413 times)

Offline rottenfish

• http://www.wlrgroupco.com/auto
Looking for thermoquad assistance
« on: August 05, 2007 - 08:06:05 AM »
I am trying to put a few miles on my mildly built 360/4spd, but I am having trouble with the carb. I am running a TQ. I have two of them, both them are exhibiting some drivability problems. The one that has me stumped is this:
It starts and idles fine, but when you try and accelerate lightly or cruise, it "seems" like it is running out of fuel. It wants to die, and the engine decelerates while you are trying to cruise. If you push it a little harder, as soon as the secondaries start to open, it takes right off. It seems that something in the primary metering is out. The fact that it has plenty of fuel in the secondaries leads me to believe the floats and float valves are good and set correctly. I have had this carb apart a few times, but I can't find the problem. Is this an issue with the metering rods or the jets in the floor of the carb? The primary nozzle wells?

The other TQ surges, and won't idle at all. Any input on either problems would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.
1974 Barracuda ?? 4spd
1975 Ramcharger SE 440/4spd
1986 GLH Turbo
1995 NYG ACR Neon

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
Re: Looking for thermoquad assistance
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007 - 08:46:40 AM »
I love my TQs. They are famous for having a dead spot in them. It's been a long time since I tinkered with the adjustments. I do know there is an adjustment on the side that help eliminate the dead spot. Chryco will probably know.
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007 - 09:45:09 AM »
The float level has more to do with the idle transition circuit than you may think, other than needing cleaning out that may be where the problem is...
Local guy has a cammed 440 & says the metering rod spring was difficult to get right because the vacuum being low he needed a lighter spring.
 check this carb basics article, its about Holly's but the basic concepts are the same.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/83118_carburetor_basics/
good T/Q Specific article
http://australianfordhardtopclub.org/Carter_Thermoquad_info.htm

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007 - 11:43:24 AM »
It sounds as if your secondary air door is opening too soon causing a lean condition. It needs more tension.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline rottenfish

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007 - 06:28:45 PM »
Thanks guys, great info. The TQ article on the Australian site was A1. I think my problem is in the metering rod adjustment. It seems that the issue is happening before I am engaging the secondaries. I haven't tried anything since my original post, but I have a few things to check now. I am going to lock out the secondaries just to confirm that the problem is in the primaries, then raise the rods a hair to richen the mix. I will post my results...
1974 Barracuda ?? 4spd
1986 GLH Turbo
1995 NYG ACR Neon

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007 - 07:24:34 PM »
Swapping to a Holley will change things.   :poopoke:  :poopoke:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 73HEMIRALLYEGUY

• Mean Green
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007 - 12:01:22 AM »
The problem you are having isn't going to be fixed with the metering rods. I have over 22 years experience with Thermo-quads on mopars. The problem will be solved by drilling out the small brass emulsion tubes. These tubes areinside of the aluminum tubes that sit against the o-rings in the bottom of the main well of the plastic bowl. Be careful here. You will need a carburetor drill set. Mac tool or snap-on dealer. Carefully gauge the current emulsion tube size using you drill set. Once you have determined the size. Open the tube diameter by .008 or as close to that as possible on both sides. assemble carb and test drive. You may need to repeat this proceedure more than once . until the flat spot or lag is gone. Good luck.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007 - 04:25:24 PM »
I would also scrounge the wrecking yards for parts (jets/metering rods etc.) for some tuning options in case you get to a point where you want to start drilling the jets too...

Since most guys don't mess with them you can usually get spares cheap or free. Might want to practice on a junker carb before drilling on your good one
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 73HEMIRALLYEGUY

• Mean Green
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007 - 07:33:41 PM »
Very good point.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007 - 11:23:47 PM »
Although not specific to what you are doing, here is a good article with some more insight into how to modify the t-quad even though they are working with E-85...it's an interesting read.

http://www.moparts.org/moparts/picture/print/pages/Vraa.html
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 73HEMIRALLYEGUY

• Mean Green
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007 - 01:04:20 AM »
Good article. Information is where it's at. Like No.5 said MORE INPUT!

Offline rottenfish

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007 - 10:07:37 AM »
I have done some tinkering... I found the "tree" that the rods ride on was loose in the center, and was hanging up on one side. I replaced the tree, which now moves freely and stays level. Tomorrow is test drive day to see where we are at.

I am curious about these emulsion tubes... what would cause them to have to be drilled out? Is this a modification, or a cleaning procedure? The engine is warmed over, but I can't imagine it is enough to render the TQ this helpless. Engine is 360 +.60, ~10.5:1, 276*/474 cam, 340 exhaust manifolds, weiand dual plane intake, HV mechanical fuel pump, 4spd trans.

Thanks all, I am learning more than I ever wanted to about these TQ's. I have always liked them, but never really had to troubleshoot them before. I have been fortunate enough to just be able to rebuild them and have them work great; up until now.
1974 Barracuda ?? 4spd
1986 GLH Turbo
1995 NYG ACR Neon

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007 - 01:30:57 PM »
It's a modification, from the factory, the carb is calibrated for the stock engine and low(er) emissions. Once you change the combination outside of the factory "window" then modifications are in order. If the metering rod hangar was sticking, that will make a huge difference by itself. Guys I know that have done the emulsion tube modifications have been very happy with them, even with a stock engine. Just take small steps.