Author Topic: Fuel Tank Sending Unit  (Read 2214 times)

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Re: Fuel Tank Sending Unit
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007 - 12:49:43 PM »
I recently bought one of those cheap $50 3/8 senders, and now it leaks out of the sender anytime there is a 1/2 tank or more.  Either the lock ring or gasket that comes with it is too thin, because when seated it fits very loose. 

Offline LAA66

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007 - 03:38:34 PM »
 I just installed the 3/8" sender from Adeals Automotive, they are on eBay also. It is not the Chinese version and it's made of stainless steel with a brass float. Something like $50-$60. I had a problem with the lock ring from the new fuel tank though. I ended up using the ring from my original. The correct tool helps a lot too as the sender will move around while tightening the lock. Just a suggestion, don't go down to the station and filler-up until your sure it's not leaking. I had to siphon it down while leaking fuel into a catch pan to refit the sender. 

nivvy

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007 - 05:49:47 PM »
I really cant remember which one I got off ebay but mine leaked a little also but all i did was tighten the ring alot more and there was no more leak after that...

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007 - 06:17:45 PM »
Guys,

I hope I can help with the leaky sending units. If you look at the sealing ring, there are 3 plateaus(or however you spell it  :lol: ). There is a long ramp leading up to each plateau, but that is the wrong way to turn the seal ring. You need to turn it towards the small ramp or lip, on the other side. It's been a few years, so I don't remember if this is clock-wise, or counter clock-wise.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Cudaah

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007 - 03:00:45 PM »
I emailed the company regarding the units on ebay.  One is 50 and the other is over 100.  The more expensive one they said is OEM specs and the 50 dollar unit is aftermarket. 

nivvy

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007 - 04:35:28 PM »
who cares about oem specs when you cant see it ???  :working:  :bigsmile:

Offline LAA66

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007 - 06:42:42 PM »
who cares about oem specs when you cant see it ???  :working:  :bigsmile:

I tend to agree however my 5/16" factory sender still works after 38 years.  :grinyes::poopoke:
 (I just upgraded to 3/8" fuel lines.)

The problem I found with the Spectra Industries lock ring was it doesn't have a gentle ramp to the plateau. It is too much all at once.

Offline wiging19

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007 - 11:40:22 AM »
I recently bought one of those cheap $50 3/8 senders, and now it leaks out of the sender anytime there is a 1/2 tank or more.  Either the lock ring or gasket that comes with it is too thin, because when seated it fits very loose. 

We had that problem on my sending unit.  We took a flat edge screw driver and hammer to the tabs.  Gave each tab a slight tap to make the tab go in more so that the seal was tight.  Probably not the best way to make it work but solved the leaking tank at half full for me.

:working:

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007 - 02:27:39 AM »
I bought a tank and sending unit from these guys for my charger about a year ago. The items worked out great.

http://www.quantaproducts.com/home.asp