Author Topic: Picture of show.......  (Read 5318 times)

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
Re: Picture of show.......
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007 - 01:02:59 PM »
Switching VIN's is a Federal offense...so who do you rat to? The FBI, yes the FBI are the the VIN police, so that ought to tell you how serious it is.

Offline JJ

• Challenger-Registry
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2007 - 05:59:17 PM »
I usually be quite and listen when it comes to such stories. But I have to support the owner and the car now a little.

The owner seems to be a Gentleman and a Connaisseur when it comes to fine Automobiles. That's why he must have choosen a Hemi Cuda Convertible. We should all be honored to see such a car. Finally someone did what we all would love to do - build a Hemi Cuda Convertible. On top: It is, or both cars were, Export Models. He probably spent more time and money creating this car, than everyone can imagine.

I heard the car was built or restored in France. Domestic French cars do not have the VINs loacted at the dashboard, the VIN is stamped on the frame (legally). So you can remove that VIN-Tag on the dashboard any time you like and put something else there if you want, it means nothing. French authorities do not care about such a VIN tag at the dashboard. Same applies to Switzerland, Germany and other European Countries. So no big deal and perfectly legal. Just because it is law in the US, does not mean it is in Europe.
It still has the French license-plates, I assume it is still legally registered in France. Trust me, you can't go to the local DMV in France and simply register a car with a piece of paper or a vin-tag, they check everything. The laws there are much more strict than in the US. So somehow this must be legal. Anyway, it would be a shame if any bureau or whatever would seize that car.

I will add this fine Cuda to the Registry with all the details I am allowed to publish. I hope you guys agree with me, this car should not be on a blacklist.

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2007 - 07:04:35 PM »
I agree with you as long as the owner is honest about what the car is and not trying to pass it off as the real deal.
Dave

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2007 - 08:28:34 PM »
Sorry JJ, IMHO a rebody is a rebody is a rebody. Those frenchies can have it!

Offline 2TAGS

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007 - 11:58:46 AM »
Sorry JJ, but a gentleman wouldn't try to pass it off as the real thing.  It doesn't matter how much time and money was spent.  A legit registry could register the VIN you say is stamped on the frame this should be B?27N1B?????? or maybe a unique French VIN?  But the dash VIN tag he created (BS27R1B269563) should be black listed - if that VIN was ever a real car it has been destroyed and shouldn't be reused.  :2cents:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007 - 01:30:30 PM by 2TAGS »
1971 'Cuda 340

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2007 - 10:23:49 PM »
I agree with you as long as the owner is...not trying to pass it off as the real deal.

Which he is.  And the article in MCG goes to great lengths to describe how this car was faked.  JJ did not comment on the forged manifest sheet, build sheet, etc.  There is an ocean of difference in creating a "tribute" car and fraudulently creating a car in order to mislead.  And my understanding is that the owner did not come clean about the cars real heritage until his bluff was called.  Barring that, someone would have bought a fraudulent car.  Buyer beware? Yes, but that doesn't exclude the seller if knowingly culpable.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2007 - 11:16:44 PM »
I think a good point here is that there was another 71 hemicuda convertible and the proof is the tags that this car is now wearing.  How many more are out there.  Matt Cholack told me once that he had tags for a crushed hemicuda convertible but never seen them.   :dunno:

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2007 - 11:43:36 PM »
It makes me wonder how many times this has been done before? I am starting to not like clones at all.

Offline JJ

• Challenger-Registry
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007 - 12:49:20 AM »
I agree, if someone tries to sell a fake car as the real thing, this is not right and possibly fraud. I did not hear that the car is or was for sale, I heard the car was built as a tribute car by the owner. But there are too many rumors...and today I heard it was not built in France ?! Made in Montreal, Canada ?! Got an email with photos, shows the car during restoration. There is simply too much money involved in those cars. It was only a question of time, until such a car shows up. This will not be the last one......and maybe it was not the first one....

Anyway, a great car. All the rumors and mistery behind it will probably add some extra value to it. Just imagine 10 or 15 years from now, everyone remembers this one !

Offline 2TAGS

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007 - 11:54:47 AM »
I think a good point here is that there was another 71 hemicuda convertible and the proof is the tags that this car is now wearing. 

The MCG article states that the tags are not original.  Including the dash VIN, fender tags, stamped cowl, stamped radiator support and buildsheet - all fabricated by the owner.

I'd argue that this could be called an illegal (in U.S.A.) tribute car but not a rebody since it does not have ANY original parts from the alleged 12th '71 Hemi 'Cuda Convertible.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007 - 11:59:47 AM by 2TAGS »
1971 'Cuda 340

Offline tancuda

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007 - 11:56:56 AM »
I heard the car was done there :  http://www.ccrtechnologie.com/

In the projet section I think this is the hemicuda.

I am 30 minutes away from there.

Saw a couple of cars they did and I would not be affraid to let them
do my car. (if I had one... :crying:).

:cheers: