Author Topic: Great story: found his old 70 Challenger..  (Read 1845 times)

Offline tosho62

Great story: found his old 70 Challenger..
« on: August 06, 2007 - 07:25:42 PM »
I'll try and keep this the shortened version.  :lol2:   Some 18-19 odd years ago we had a nice bunch of guys in a local club.  Most of us had E bods.  Years go by, lives change and we either sold, lost interest for a while, whatever.  A friend of my brother & myself had an awesome '70 Challenger R/T, # matching 383 car.  FY1 yellow, black top, auto trans. 
   Anyhow he actually sold the car TWICE in the late 80's.  Some kids mommy made him re-purchase it from her son cause it was too much of a mans car I guess. {netted a cool 3 grand for a weeks loaner}  Then found an adult in the Danbury Ct area who was seroius and layed out the cash.   Car has been out of sight since @ 1989, even rumored to have been wrecked.   So he starts gettin the itch, and decides just to "inquire" with the man whom he sold to way back when.  Gets to the house, starts to feel queasy about the whole thing and walks away.  His brother urges him to 'just go knock on the door".. Whattay got to lose, right?    The same gentleman still lives at the house, remembers Greg, and a conversation ensues about the car for some time.  The whole time Greg is thinking, " yep my car got wrecked!".  Finally the guy says, "well the cars at my sons house, i gave it to him about 5 years ago".   :woohoo:
     K, now Gregs feeling a bit lightheaded  as you can expect.  Money is NO object here, just how the F#%k is he gonna get this guy to sell it...??   Gets to the house, is less than 4 miles from where Greg grew up.  Its in a garage, covered up, and apparently has made a convenient storage area to lean 2x4's, 2x6's and other lumber materials.  Owner is a cabinet maker/carpenter and is way too busy to be bothered with a car.  Cover is peeled back, and there she be!!!   Just as she looked all them years ago.  {To show ya how nuts Greg was over the car-he remembered the VIN all that time}    So Greg leans on the guy, tells him he MUST have the car back, its rightfully mine and this has gotta happen.  The carpenter tells him he will consider it, and Greg says he'll call him back.    Being the "patient" person he is, Greg calls him back in about an hour and.........well the guy agreed to sell!   :jumping:    The selling price was, ummm, about 50% of what you can expect to pay.  {this sh!t aint right}  and the car was safely back in Gregs garage the same evening.
    This part is unbelievable,  the owner(s) for the last 19 years amassed a grand total of FIFTY SEVEN miles on the car!  Yep, just (57)  ..And 5 of which was when Gregs brother delivered the car TO the mans house.    Considering how many post ya read when someone has tried to recover a long lost car-or their original block this is finally one that turned out right.   Greg is currently having my brother restore the body detailing back to factory (undo some of the things we did as kids in the 80's)  .
     To boot, the car had an extra build sheet the factory screwed up with for someone elses '70 R/T Chally that is F'n LOADED!!  A Plum Crazy 4 speed car-white top, white bumblebee stripe, 383 magnum and lots more.  My brother is de-coding the build sheet and plans to post to reunite the owner with some important paperwork..

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
Re: Great story: found his old 70 Challenger..
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007 - 07:43:13 PM »
Congrats man :wow: :cheers: That's a beautiful thing :smokin:

Russ
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007 - 07:45:50 PM »
Great story, with a happy ending!

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007 - 07:47:58 PM »
Great story, with a happy ending!

:iagree:

Couldnt agree more.  Its stuff like this that makes a person smile.   :bigsmile:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007 - 07:55:07 PM »
           UNREAL   :faint:   congrats to your bud!
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007 - 07:57:14 PM »
 :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  Story of a life time, time for a nice vacation and the purchase of ONE lotto ticket, with that kind of good fortune that's all he will need.  :clapping: Now, when can we see some pics ?
  :useless:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007 - 08:01:04 PM »
WOW,
Man, that's awesome. I love a story with a happy ending. And only 57 mile to boot!! That is soooo cool!! :woohoo:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline tosho62

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007 - 08:05:17 PM »
Pics soon to come after my brother does some minor rust repair and reapplies the stripe.  Greg wants to put on the 15" rallyes too..{I hope I have him talked out of keeping the scoop inserts  black.}..They look good the way they came from the factory. Then some pics..SOOON!
   Folow up on the extra build sheet,  its posted under the VIN decode section under "build sheet found" by Todd383.     Would be cool if that car still exist.  One correction, no vinyl top.

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007 - 08:06:44 PM »
Great Story!    :droolingbounce:

:useless: :useless:

:bigsmile:

Vermont MOPAR
VT MOPAR

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007 - 08:10:44 PM »
Great story. :clapping: :clapping:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007 - 08:12:00 PM »
That's awesome!!! :clapping:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline FY1443433

• 1971 Superbee, 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007 - 09:00:55 PM »
 :popcorn:

Another FY1  :cheers:

:cooldancing:

FY1

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007 - 09:13:38 PM »
As the saying goes... "things that will never happen to me"....  :crazy:  That is an awesome story!

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007 - 10:10:54 PM »
To good to be true!  What an awesome story!

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007 - 12:08:40 AM »
Well I see they drove it alot!   :screwy:  I do love a happy ending though . .  :bananasmi   :bananasmi   :bananasmi