Author Topic: I met my T/A's twin, actually we are quadruplets!!!!  (Read 4384 times)

Offline JH27N0B

I met my T/A's twin, actually we are quadruplets!!!!
« on: August 06, 2007 - 10:37:44 PM »
I never did a "newbie" intro when I joined here so please allow me a little of my background. :)
Most who know me, know me as the mild manored guy who has owned a well optioned Challenger convertible for the last 10 years. A great cruiser and very unusual, but it's no hot rod.
But back in the late '70's when I was a "Spicolli" in high school looking forward to getting my drivers license, I had decided the ultimate ride was an AAR cuda or T/A Challenger. After getting my license I spent many months watching the local papers for one of these cars to spend the money I had spent several years cutting lawns and doing odd jobs to save up.  After hitching rides to school for months my junior year, I finally found a red 4 speed T/A in December, just in time for the worst winter this area has ever seen!
Totally stupid impractical choice for a high school punk living in the snow belt, thank God it died a few weeks after I got it and sat buried under a snow drift for months until the spring thaw and I could figure out why the plugs fouled up. But almost 3 decades later it is still mine! :ylsuper:
The Grand Spaulding sticker on the spoiler meant nothing to me at the time. Lots of cars in this (Chicago) area had those stickers then.  But around the time I bought my convertible it meant something to me when I was able to purchase the original Mr. Norms paperwork for the T/A! :thumbsup:
The T/A has been in a restoration shop for too many years now, but that story and my frustration about it will need to be the subject of another thread.  I have gathered a ton of rare NOS and date coded parts for it, along with tons of research and photos, it will be done someday and I aim for it to be the best!
OK, enough ancient history, now lets move ahead to yesterday's "1st annual Mr. Norms Mopar show" at the Volo auto museum in far northern Illinois.  After a ton of rain overnight the streets dried and peeks of sun appeared, so I put the top down and headed up there in the 'vert.  Not long after arriving I spotted a T/A pulling in that looked just like mine, so I headed down to where the guy was parking it to take a look-see.  It was just like mine, in fact it was identical to mine, and the VIN was 2 numbers after mine!! :22yikes:
It gets better, this unrestored 41,000 mile car was also a documented Mr. Norms car, and what is more, the owner told me that he had found a broadcast sheet in his car for the car next in line after his, and it was another identical car.  He had found the owner of that car, which is now in GA, and it is also a documented Mr. Norms car! So last night I found out from Barry that he has documentation for the T/A next in line after mine, and it too is identical to the other 3 and was sold at Mr. Norms!!!  Unfortunately this car has not surfaced, it probably got wrapped around a tree 35 years ago or rusted away in this climate, but who knows, maybe it is still out there sitting in a barn somewhere?
So now after owning my car for decades I find it is one of 4 sequentially serial numbered identical T/A's all sold through the same dealership!!!!! And Mr. Norms dealership to boot!
If anyone knows of a red with black top 4 speed with manual steering T/A SPD of 4/15 please let me know or register it with Barry, maybe its the missing "quad"??
I am still in shock, I hope we can get these 3 cars together someday for a reunion.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007 - 11:17:09 PM by JH27N0B »

Offline JH27N0B

Re: I met my T/A's twin, actually we are quadruplets!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007 - 10:48:12 PM »
That last picture is my T/A around 13 or 14 years ago.  I added the louvers and the car had Cragars when I bought it which I replaced with rallyes.  When I got my Mr. Norms paperwork I found out my car rolled off the assembly line with steel wheels and hubcaps. 
Here is the twin 2 serial numbers after mine at the show yesterday!
Note that this car was a steel wheel car too, but the sales paperwork showed that they replaced the steel wheels with Rallyes at the dealership.  He said the same thing was shown on the sales paperwork for the car after his!  On my paperwork the salesman had written "rallye wheels" but then scratched it out, so I assume my car rolled off Mr. Norms lot with steel wheels.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007 - 10:55:32 PM »
Very cool story, but just to clarify one point....

I do not have any documentation for the 4th "missing" T/A. I have seen it and I know who has it though.   :bigsmile:

Barry

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007 - 11:32:35 PM »
My bad, "seen" the Mr. Norms paperwork for the missing quad.  By "know who has it" I assume you mean has the paperwork right?  The car has not been registered on your registry?
I don't want to violate anyone's privacy by giving out VIN's, including my own, so I hope I am not out of line if I start referring to these 4 cars by the last 2 numbers in their VINs for clarity.  My car is "36", the one from the show yesterday is "38", the car in GA is "39", the missing "quad" that Mr. Norms sales paperwork exists for is "37".  Barry told me "35" is a FY1 T/A, so its not one of this group, but he has no info on "40" so I guess there is a possibility of "quints"??
Funny aside, Mr. Norm had previously autographed "38"s aircleaner lid.  He signed it "1 of a kind! Mr. Norm".  Me and "38's" owner were joking that he should get Mr. Norm over to change the autograph to "3 of a kind" but later that evening I found that it should be "4 of a kind", though there is a chance even that is not correct. :lol:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007 - 12:21:50 AM »
Yep, I was reffering to some paperwork, not the car itself. Hopefully it still exists someplace and we can get all four of you together for a reunion sometime.  :cheers:

Barry

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007 - 04:10:02 AM »
Cool Story.  Good luck on finding #4   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007 - 10:00:18 AM »
Crazy.  Just crazy.  This stuff doesnt happen every day.   :screwy:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007 - 10:11:19 AM »
That's very cool! :thumbsup:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007 - 12:58:32 PM »
Hi,
I have 31 and 30 is in Ill. My car was sold new in Min. And so was 30. Ours are FY1 and with exception of the right side mirror ( which mine has ) ours are the same also. We have emailed several times and finally meet a couple of years ago.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007 - 02:27:15 PM »
really cool story

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007 - 04:11:17 PM »
JH27N0B thats the COOLEST story ever told!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007 - 06:57:11 PM »
Very neat   :2thumbs:

Offline xs29j8

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007 - 09:16:06 PM »
Great story!  I have an older cousin... Auto with a SPD of 4/14

XS

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007 - 09:52:57 PM »
Great story!  I have an older cousin... Auto with a SPD of 4/14

XS
There was an unrestored 14,000 mile FE5 black top T/A with a 4/14 SPD listed on ebay a couple times a few years ago, and eventually sold at a Mecum fall 2005 auction for big money.  It was a 4 speed car.  VIN ended in 199, is that close to your car?

Offline xs29j8

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007 - 10:00:08 PM »
There was an unrestored 14,000 mile FE5 black top T/A with a 4/14 SPD listed on ebay a couple times a few years ago, and eventually sold at a Mecum fall 2005 auction for big money.  It was a 4 speed car.  VIN ended in 199, is that close to your car?

Not too close... my VIN ends in 265

XS