Author Topic: No spark  (Read 646 times)

Offline cmesa

No spark
« on: August 10, 2007 - 02:19:25 PM »
I have an electronic ign. sytem. My problem is I have no spark getting to plugs. Can this be a bad ign. box?

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: No spark
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007 - 02:55:14 PM »
Which ignition do you have? The chrysler one or MSD etc??

If chrysler:
1. unplug the coil wire from the distributor, set near a good ground (1/4" or so).
2. unplug the distributor 2 wire plug.
3. turn the ignition to the on position
3. using the harness end of the distributor plug, scratch the exposed terminal to a good ground, you should see a spark from the coil wire to ground.

Let us know what happens
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: No spark
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007 - 06:51:05 PM »
I have an electronic ign. sytem. My problem is I have no spark getting to plugs. Can this be a bad ign. box?

How do you know there is no spark? What testing have you done? Have you recently made any changes to the engine bay? If you are familiar with a volt meter, with the key in the "on" position, you should have around 9-10 volts on the "+" side of the coil. If you have that, we can move on from there. It could be ignition box, coil, ballast resistor, bad wiring, bad ignition switch...

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.