Random visit from someone who saw my car in the garage-4 sale? Ever happen to U?

Author Topic: Random visit from someone who saw my car in the garage-4 sale? Ever happen to U?  (Read 2564 times)

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
The wife left the garage open yesterday. I have told her that it is likean open invitation for people. So, Some guy stopped by yesterday to ask if it was for sale.

No. Just busy working on it. Thanks though. Want to check it out?

Haha... More later.

Ever happen to you?

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline 472 R/T SE

When I had the Daytona clone, all the time.  People would practically run into parked cars driving thru the neighborhood when they seen the wing.  I eventually covered it with towels for a distraction.  :grinno:
Mostly it's folks that are walking thru the 'hood that want to stop and look.  It's funny, when they're both out of the garage they think they're either both Chargers or Challengers.  Never had a person able to distinguish that there's a difference.  :clueless:
HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
I try to keep the garage closed as much as possible. I think the fewer people who know what's in there, the better.
Dave

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
 :iagree: And keep the alarm set..  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
Its never good to get unfamilar inquireies on your cars in a garage......someone tells a friend who tells another friend....and then maybe the info gets to a bad guy......hate to be rude to people but if I do not know you then I do not want to tell you about my toys...I don't want them to disapear one nite!
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
One guy came knocking on all the doors around here because he heard there might be a 'CUDA somewhere close by.

He turned out to be a nice guy but a little scary situation at first..

Later I learned my neighbors were not happy with him or me  :dunno:
(can't please everyone)

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
That's how I hunt.  I get a story of a car yadda yadda yadda, and away I go.

Just this past weekend I heard a story of two 69 Daytonas sitting out in a field about an hour from me.  After the Thursday I had, I went driving all over the place trying to find them.  I ended up finding a Dart, Duster, Skylark Vert, Coronet and probably buying a RamCharger I found out there.

I also heard about a Charger sitting in a garage near me for a few year.  Went and found it, 70 R/T with 440 auto on the floor.  Guy's son died and he just now is getting back into it.  So I'm helping him now restore it like my blue.  And all I did was see the garage door open, and knock on the door.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline sbird426

It is a sad reflection of the times, but I now keep my garage door shut all the time as well.  I used to pull the cars out on the weekend and sort of 'admire them' as I did yardwork.

Now if I do that I put them in the back and out of site.  it's sad and I hate doing it.

When I was at the world of wheels show a mopar fan told me his challenger was stolen out of a trailer in his driveway.  Made me think for sure.

However, to answer the question.  I have had people see my cars in the garage and pull in to look at them or to make an offer.  In particular when I had my Superbird.
Dave Booker

Offline Chlngrcrzy

I was driving on the interstate, hauling my 73 challenger home on an open trailer and had a guy pull up alongside be and eyeball it for a bit. He then held up a hand written note, asking if for sell. When i got home that evening, i didn't even get it unloaded before i had a guy on a moped about crash into the sidewalk as he was oggling it. He later came by to introduce himself. Turned out to be a nice guy who knew someone in the area that restores mopars. So i was able to reap some good info from him.

Offline moparclown

• Resident
I live on a main road,and my little garage is always open.I have been asked so many times if they are for sale----now I give em a price$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and away they go.Most are just people looking to flip em.Do I worry about theives?Yes.But not to give away the way I protect my stuff,but it would be in their best interest not to go anywhere near my stuff,unless I am here.Be afraid be very very afraid.HHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Since I've started my project, I've only had a couple people I didn't know inquire about the car.  Granted, they were mostly just delivery drivers when I was purchasing all my different parts and happened to have the garage door open with the cover on.  You seem to hear a lot of stories about people they know who had a 'Cuda and such when you tell them what it is.  The best story I had was a police officer on duty made a U-turn to stop and talk about my car when I first picked it up. I have also heard several stories from MoPar locals about seeing a Plum Crazy stripped down Challenger coming back from town on a car hauler one early morning...Hmm, who could that have been. lol
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007 - 12:24:05 PM by Street_Challenged73 »
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline LAA66

I live out in the Boony's and the only people that stop by are the electric meter reader and UPS. Once I had an order from YO delivered and the garage was open. The guy laid the parts right in front of the Challenger.

Wonder if he lifted the car cover to see what was under it. :smilielol:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
I will go looking for cars just like most car nuts do. I will ask around and hunt stuff down if I get a scent trail.  I find it the height of rudeness though to go in someones yard and look at their stuff. I would never dream of popping a hood or door to check a car out mostly because I dont want to get shot! I once saw the keys dangling in a 71 RR trunk lock. I didnt know the guy and was there to ask about parts. I called him later that night and told him the keys were in the trunk of his car, He almost swallowed the phone and thanked me. I respect other peoples stuff and hopefully they will respect mine.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Do any of you have special insurance? Most of these cars are irreplacable, because of the time and efforts put into restoring them. What kind of insurance do you carry, besides a loaded 45?

sleepychallenger

my car is always out front, dont have a garage, but when i go down the streets people stop me and ask how much i want, i always just say not for sale, they say nice car and thats that. i have been known to stop by if i see cars out in the driveway but i wait until they are out and i always make sure that i am in the Dodge if i am going to stop that way they know that i am stoping for a reason, not to kick the tires and ask how much.