Author Topic: Clones, Recreation, Tribute, is it real or a fake?  (Read 4428 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Clones, Recreation, Tribute, is it real or a fake?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007 - 04:58:30 PM »

I'm in the same boat as you Vette. I'm building a car very, very similar (it's scary) to the car you are. Mine is an original 383 BS23 'Cuda. It's not a clone as clones are exact replicas of the factory cars right down to the factory markings & stampings. Clones are just that, clones, just look at science, big brown fat rats cloned are big brown fat rats. Clones should look like a factory restored car that is numbers matching the only difference being it hasn't got the original engine but either a warranty block and/or date code correct power plant.

Tribute would come close to what mine & yours are. Not clone by a long ways. Making something to remember the cars that were built from factory leaves the doors open for modern touches. I'm calling mine a custom as it's not a clone because I'm using a 5-Speed and modern touches under the hood, black aluminum radiator, MSD, EFI, 4 wheel discs, etc, etc. It's custom just not to the extent of what most take custom too, ie: Foose.

At the end of the day it's a a Hemi Cuda and as you say, MOPAR.  :2cents: :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 67Vette427

• My other car is not a Rambler
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007 - 05:51:17 PM »
The comments that everybody made are very good and when I get hit with the " is it real " question I have some good replies. NZ I like the custom idea too since neither you or I are making our cars out to be a tribute, clone or a recreation. My Hemi engine isn't even from the same generation of the old ones. I'm using the OD 4 speed which I may switch out for a Tremec. I want to see how it shifts under power. I have the Tremec 6 speed in my 07 Shelby and it shifts real nice still even with the engine mods I've done. So I don't think it would be one of the three above but more a custom.

I'm thinking of getting a custom fender tag done that reads some of the codes but also has a message within the codes for all the skeptical fender tag readers out there.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007 - 07:30:53 PM by 67Vette427 »
1 of 1 Mr Norm's T/A/ 2015 Hellcat, sublime/ 13 Power Wagon

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007 - 06:36:40 PM »

We think so alike mate, it's not funny. I'm running a TKO-600 (0.82) Tremec 5-Speed and am 90% sure it will be more than adequate. However, if the engine kills the trans or it's not what I thought I may invest in a T56 Viper spec 6-Speed, WOT shifts at any rpm. Brilliant trans from what I have heard. My Hemi is a modern crate (aluminium) 540 so it's definitely out of the clone league, even though no one will be able to tell it's cubic capacity by looking in the engine bay it still won't look 100% stock due to the EFI. However, basically everything else will be stock bar the MSD, hydro boost brake cylinder and rad.

I too will be getting a custom fender tag, not sure what it will read. I was simply going to put: [1971 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda] that way anyone who knows Mopars will know straight away it's a custom car and I have and never will pass it off to be a #'s car, besides, for me, custom clone Hemis are more appealing. I couldn't drive a 3 digit 71 Hemi Cuda #'s car like I would a custom car. I may also make up some codes, one for the Keisler, the hemi etc. But, I may also just put something like:

1971 Plymouth 'Cuda
Triple Black      
540ci Aluminum Hemi
5-Speed Manual 
Enough Said

:woo:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline wiging19

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007 - 06:47:52 PM »
 :stirpot: Interesting discussion.  My initial reaction was the distinctions are really marketing labels to help sale the vehicles on Ebay.  Kind of creating a market for the different directions that people who don't have original vehicles can take.    :poopoke:

I grew up with two labels for cars(original and modified).   The distinctions people use to describe their modifications sounds good to me if your buying one.  I wonder what you would call a G car?  Probably a tribute since you have added modifications that enhance the performance of the vehicle using the latest technology.  Clones are vehicles that use close to original parts but are built the way you would have bought the car if you could when they were first available.  Of course you need a name for the cars that blend old mopar technology to enhance the original ride of their car but aren't quite at the level of the current performance cars.

I'm not sure what the label people put on our cars matter to us since no matter what category your car is in the joy of driving it is what most of us are all about.  It is just a fluke of nature that we happen to enjoy a vehicle that has become so popular.  We have a love affair with our car.  When you get behind the wheel, start the engine and back it out of the drive way we remember how much fun we've had in this car and at the end of our drive, look forward to the next time we can pull it out on the road.  It doesn't matter if the car is primo or a car needing alot of work.  The pride and joy of owning the car is pretty much the same no matter how well preserved the car is.   :working:

nivvy

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007 - 07:43:05 PM »
If someone asks me if it a real hemi cuda I would say yea.... think about it... there a hemi in there and it a cuda.... :horse:

Or I would answer yea its a real 2007 1972 Dodge Challenger 499 Stroker 1 of 1  :cooldancing:

daves70

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007 - 08:04:00 PM »
I agree with NZ. Call it a tribute. My challey isn't # matching and I'm replacing my 440-SIXPACK with a 482 Hemi stroker. Why? Because it's what I have wanted ever since drag racing my 68 Coronet Hemi wagon. Is it real? Yes, it is a 70 Challenger R/T and it has a HEMI. Just my  :2cents:

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007 - 08:20:57 PM »
What I still dont get is why the hate for fender tag readers?  Or is it really fender tag readers, and following the reading they criticize?  I like to look at the tag.  I like to see if I can remember certain options, etc.  I would never criticise someones car after looking at it.  My car has few options, I dont care.  Why do people show cars?  Because they are proud of it.  Thats all that matters.   :thumbsup:

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007 - 09:25:32 PM »
A clone looks EXACTLY like a factory car with those options anyhting else is just a modified or custom or whatever you like to call it.I love to see nice originals and modified cars but agree that too many are cloned into R/Ts or `cudas.Mine is modified, not a clone as it has some `cuda stuff on it but it obviuosly not 100% stock looking.We use to just call them all musclecars or street machines!
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007 - 09:56:27 PM »
I'd say it was a tribute to all my hard work and dedication.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007 - 10:19:34 PM »
 :iagree:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007 - 10:53:30 PM »
If someone asks me if it a real hemi cuda I would say yea.... think about it... there a hemi in there and it a cuda.... :horse:

Or a HEMI Chally!!  :grinyes:                                                                                                                     
Is it real? Yes, it is a 70 Challenger R/T and it has a HEMI. Just my  :2cents:
:2thumbs:

:grinyes:  :grinyes:  :grinyes:  :grinyes:  :grinyes:   :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007 - 10:59:37 PM »

Just walk over and poke it with your finger and say "Yep, it's real".   :clapping:

Offline 67Vette427

• My other car is not a Rambler
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007 - 01:56:23 AM »
I don't mind them reading the fender tag or even the VIN tag. Most people enjoy seeing what codes the car came with and mine had the rear wing, rally dash, billboards and the cassette player so its a decent tag.
1 of 1 Mr Norm's T/A/ 2015 Hellcat, sublime/ 13 Power Wagon

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007 - 09:37:11 AM »
Just walk over and poke it with your finger and say "Yep, it's real".   :clapping:
:iagree: :smilielol:

TO me a tribute is more of a stock car done up as a STOCK CAR or DRAG CAR, think Sox & Martin, Petty, etc...

Personally nothing makes a hemi better than a 318.  Both cars had equal chance of becoming anything, just the options assigned to that car are more desirable.  You weren't around to order it the way you wanted it so now you make it the way you want it, I call that a special order.  Someone asks is it a real car just tell them that you don't really care.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007 - 01:27:21 PM »
I attended a car show last weekend, on questions about if it's a real AAR, I replied "No". Then we started to talk about the car, and everybody tought it was a cool looking car. I don't say I have a clone, I just think the AARs look badass, so I built my car the way I wanted it. But if I had a Hemi in it I'd probably call it a HemiCuda, becouse thats what it is. A Cuda with a Hemi.
Member of The Rapid Transit System