XV Suspension Kit LV 1 Worth The Cost?

Author Topic: XV Suspension Kit LV 1 Worth The Cost?  (Read 8557 times)

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
XV Suspension Kit LV 1 Worth The Cost?
« on: August 17, 2007 - 03:58:56 PM »
Ok some of you know that Im planning on building a 440 for "The Cuda Guy Project".  I mean the goal is to beat StRoKeR in a heads up race in the 1/4!  WSM has donated the engine/trans (Cores), I know I want to add frame rails ect.  I will have to upgrade the suspension, my question is the XV LV 1 Kit worth the $2400.00?  Any input will be great.  I know NZ is a big fan of it.  Anyone else?

Cuda Guy
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007 - 04:02:27 PM by The Cuda Guy »
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
Re: XV Suspension Kit LV 1 Worth The Cost?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007 - 04:29:52 PM »
Sure looks pretty! I know to buy front and rear swaybar kits from Firmfeel would be about $600 alone, not sure how much springs and the rest of the stuff is worth, but it sure looks purdy!   :droolingbounce:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007 - 04:36:13 PM »
..."I mean the goal is to beat StRoKeR in a heads up race in the 1/4!"

If the goal is just drag racing, you can go the regular S/S spring, small torsion bar, adj. pinion snubber route for a lot less.

If you want handling, then this would be one way to go.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007 - 04:45:38 PM »
..."I mean the goal is to beat StRoKeR in a heads up race in the 1/4!"

That was just a little   :poopoke:    :poopoke:    :poopoke:

I was told I would need to beef up the supension if I went the bb route.

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007 - 05:09:27 PM »
If I had a stock set up I'd definately run the XV stuff.  All the hassle of tuning and compatability have been addressed in one nice package!  The performance upgrade is substantial!
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007 - 05:09:50 PM »
Don,

Really, the only difference in a setup between a small block and big block, would be larger torsion bars up front, and 6 leaf springs in the back. This is the minimum upgrade. If you want anything else... that just adds to the pot.  :money:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007 - 05:45:43 PM »
Yes and no. If you want a simple phone call for parts and then bolt them together and have them perform flawlessly, they are hard to beat. If you have the time and know how to source parts from multiple vendors, understand how to evaluate roll couple percentages, know suspension dynamics of the changes you are making, are willing to take the time to tune in adjustable shocks, and are willing to alter spring rates to find the sweet spot, then you can probably save some cash over the XV system.

Their system for big block/small block goes beyond just torsion bar sizes as shock valving is impacted by the weights as well. Shocks are a huge influence of the whole suspension and the value of having these be on the money out of the box can save countless weekends of frustration getting the settings right. Now, if you want the ability to alter dampening characteristics for the strip, the street, or a road course, then it is hard to beat adjustable shocks.

For drag strip use, a firm, dial in handling suspension will not give you the optimal chassis set up and  the quickest e.t.s. However, it will be deadly consistent and repeatable and will allow you to run your number within thousanths of a second run after run.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007 - 06:43:52 PM »
With the right wheels and tires, that setup will allow you to corner at over 1G sustained.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007 - 10:35:11 PM »
With the right wheels and tires, that setup will allow you to corner at over 1G sustained.
I thought the level II made that claim, maybe I'm wrong...

70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007 - 11:53:10 PM »

Don, I ordered the XV L1 kit and I go to pick it up with my 'Cuda in a few days. I obviously haven't tried it yet but I wanted a complete kit that was exhaustively researched by professionals. I would have liked an XV L2 kit but the main reason I opted for the L1 kit was that you have to run 17"+ rims to fit the brakes etc in the LV2 kit. Even if you could get 15" wheels on it defeats the purpose of getting the kit with tire roll/bulge.

I could never put 17"+ rims on my car as I love stock looking cars with hidden craftsmanship and of course big BFGoodrich white letter tires with Rallyes and/or cop wheels. Stock but lethal is the aim of this car, similar to Lucy but this car will be on another level, performance wise. I know you like G-Machines so the XVL2 kit would suit people like you, for guys like me who want the stock look with a little better performance and handling, the XVL1 is the way to go IMO. As HP2 said you could make your own kit using various brands if you knew what you're doing, for me, this was just the best solution and I didn't mind spending the money on a kit that was made to work as one.

:2cents: :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

nivvy

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007 - 08:02:30 AM »
Don I think that is awesome dropping a 440 in there.... my car was a 318 car also
That kit dont look like there is $2400 ???

Anyway a 440 and some rims I think that will win a trophy at carlilse....  :cooldancing:

FYI

my setup

Competition Engineering 3 Way Shocks      79.90
Competition Engineering 3 Way Shocks      79.90
Mopar Super Stock Spring Kit                  230.00
Mopar Spring Relo Kit                               114.95
Mopar HD Torsion Bars (.960)                       139.95
Solid Spring Eye bushing                                     39.95
PST Super Kit Polygraphite                               389.00
PST Front Sway Bar Polygraphite                   129.00
PST Pitman Arm                                           100.00
PST Sway Bar Bushings                                       25.00
PST Transmission Polygraphite Bushing      35.00

$1362.65 with a rear sway bar about $150 more but I believe you cant have a rear sway with SS Springs...

Anyway its a grand cheaper and a grand will build you a nice tranny... depending on your stance buy a lighter load SS spring..my car has the 3400lb springs and mounted on the upper hole of the front spring hanger...

Big difference in price.. I think you would be just paying for the XV Motorsports name.... :burnout:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007 - 08:18:41 AM by StrOkEr »

Offline willhaven

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007 - 10:51:20 AM »
I thought the level II made that claim, maybe I'm wrong...
Speaking about the Level I kit, John stated it was close to 1.1Gs. Even the Level I kit will turn an E body into a monster. :)

Do you have any figures on the Stage II g's? If the Stage I will sustain 1G, what is the Stage II doing (roughly speaking)?

Thanks, Wes
In our testing it was clse to 1.1 G's.

Yes, during our testing we found the car pulled 1G sustained lateral. 
To hit those numbers you need to run good low profile tires. 
We also had chassis stiffenig on the car, which is always a good idea to improve ride and performance.

nivvy

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007 - 01:59:32 PM »
I guess it depends on what don wants.... I personally dont care about g's  ??? only car links  :cooldancing:

And don I dont race against other mopars.... :swaying: :jumping: :crazy: unless the have chevy engines in them\.....lol

Offline fantum

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007 - 02:44:28 PM »
Don didn't really mean "race!"  He was just trying to ensure that his car would be able to stand up to the challenges presented by the blue oval and bowtie boys.  What better way than selecting the car to test his against that he believes has the strongest chances of maintaining the MOPAR image.   :stirpot:

Mike

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007 - 07:21:27 PM »
strOker, you forgot a few important items realtive to the original post. First, torsion bar prices have doubles to over $300 a set. Secondly, while CE three way adjustable shocks are okay for a bracket car, they are marginal for the street with their rear 50/50, 70/30 and 80/20 adjustments (never mind fronts at 90/10), and absolutly unacceptable for a handling application where 50/50 is a must and the changes in compression and rebound dampening must be control via valving. To get a comparable shock to the XV units, you would need to get double adjustable, aluminum body, rebuildable, custom valved Afcos. These are going to run $250+ each, so the grand you saved on your set up is now gone if you piece the stuff together using a comparable shock absorber. Finally, the SS rear springs are not the best match for a handling combination as they have excessive arch and unless you running 1.22 torsion bars, have too much spring rate to be matched to the suspension frequency of the front.

Don't now what kind of race you guys have planned, but if it includes corners, cuda guy will take you in them with an XV set up. If it is only straights, then stoker is going to clean your clock, cuda guy. You can look at roads in one of two ways, it is all straights connected by those dang corners, or it is full or corners interupted by those freakin straights. How you set your car up depends on which view you take.

If you look closely at the picture posted higher up, you will notice that the XV set up has torsion bars and front sway bars that are the same, or close to the same, diameter. This means XV is using t-bars that are in the 1.12 range with a matching 1.125 front sway bar. Pretty stout combo there.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007 - 07:23:23 PM by HP2 »