Author Topic: XV Suspension Kit LV 1 Worth The Cost?  (Read 8556 times)

nivvy

Re: XV Suspension Kit LV 1 Worth The Cost?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007 - 08:34:04 PM »
Like I said! its up to what don wants......he just wants to beef it up...$2400 is nuts if you ask me...My car handles great out on the street....and its jusy my opinion that he asked if it was worth $2400... I dont think its worth it...

If someone says I want a built motor...we would all certainly have different ideas of that and of course we could all spit out the highest end part numbers as well.....  :2cents:

who cares that you can corner at 1.1 g's.... oops I forgot about the ricers...

FYI ---
MOPAR - .960" Diameter - "B" & "E" body
Fits 1966-71 B Body Cars

Improved "B/RB" and Hemi handling
$209.95
MOPP5249158

The $299 ones you referred to are .810 diameter and for drag racing not handling!!!  :burnout:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007 - 08:47:30 PM by StrOkEr »

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007 - 09:22:59 PM »
Does anyone have a pic of the XV setup installed? I think I saw a post here once before. Thanks!

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007 - 09:31:36 PM »
Even if you buy t-bars for $209, I'm saying if you individually source all the COMPARABLE parts that are in an XV kit, you will spend close to the same amount as they are charging. Now, when they were charging $3000 was it it worth it, no. But they knocked $600 off that price recently and now it is wholly competitively priced for the average enthusiast who would rather spend the time driving compared to buying and replacing multiple components or learning suspension dynamics and dialing in their roll couple ratios and shock settings. Myself, I'm in the latter catagory and won't be buying an XV kit, but for the vast majority of guys who want to significantly step up their ride comfort and cornering ability, have average mechanical in parts replacing, and want ease of purchase, the XV kit is heck of a deal.

BTW, great handling is like rich or beautiful...it is something different to each of us. XV has done a great deal of the analytic research to provide well thought out combinations that are optimized for the platform and engine combinations of  a vast majority of enthusiasts. Ultimatly yes, Don has to decide what is of value to him and how he wants his car to feel.

Offline fantum

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007 - 11:00:19 PM »
 :iagree:  well said.
Mike

nivvy

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007 - 12:32:04 AM »
well see what hes after I guess.. but $2400 to "corner" at 1.1g's is silly... I think that kit is for the pro touring type cars which isnt my type!  :working:  :2cents:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007 - 12:57:07 AM »

I just like the idea that it's a complete suspension kit. I guess the name does have something to do with it but the name is deserving of it's reputation. Also, the majority aren't as hardcore as HP2, my resto team could create a kit like HP2 would but what do I need it for? The car I'm building is 100% street. It's not a matter if "Can't" or "don't know how" just a matter of ease and simplicity. I'm sure some "degrees off" and some "70/70?" adjustments here would improve a cars handling but for me, means nothing lol. I prefer a muscle car that's harder to drive, no options, no kits, no driver aids, no traction controls, just how it was in the day. Big horsepower, stick shift and a driver.

BTW, Where is Don?  :popcorn:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007 - 01:11:03 AM »
Cuda Guy, are you building another cuda, or changing the engine in your new car?

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007 - 01:26:05 AM »
Im here guys, Im putting a BUILT 440 (Stroked) in "The Cuda Guy Project".  The goal has always been a 440 cuda.  WSM has donated the engine core.  Im looking foward to coming home and building the engine myself.  As far as the suspension, I was told I would need to beef it up.  I figure somthing that comes in a package deal at the price seemed reasonable for what parts were included.  Im going for the all around street/strip suspension.  I also dont want to skimp on quality parts.  I would rather wait than put a second rate part on the car.  So the XV Lv 1 seems ideal.  But it has been stated you can get a similar set up for about 1k cheaper by peicing it togeather.  Who knows?  I dont perfer the Pro-tour cars.  I do like them alot.  I like a car that is set up like NZ Chally, 72 Hemi chally, StRoKeR chally, or 4c Cuda.  Muscle car, but super close to stock.  Does that make sence???

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007 - 02:38:49 AM »

Makes sense to me Don. :clapping: Classy, stock appearing yet a touch of evil hidden away. :smokin: The 'Cuda will be just like Lucy. 90-95% stock appearing but with a few modern upgrades, most of which are hidden and the ones that aren't look very close to stock spec parts.

For me, I find it nicer to see cars stock but with planning and craftsmanship to hide the upgrades, takes more work but well worth it. Also, I like cars that are stock looking with upgrades that you can walk right up to and still think they're factory stock, especially exterior wise (body, wheels, height, etc)

Best of luck with what ever you do Don and thumbs up to Jim for donating the 440 and trans.
You're well, well, on your way to shltting your pants.  :lol:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

nivvy

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007 - 09:54:46 AM »
A StROkEd 440  :cooldancing: Well I say save a grand and dump it into the tranny .... Im sure don will start a topic on which stroker kit to buy which will cause some havic I bet...lol... :villagers:

I also do like the look of some of those pro touring mopars but just not my thing as well... I have yet to be at a car show and have someone come up to me and say hey! how does that old mopar handle.... :burnout:

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007 - 10:51:20 AM »
FWIW, there are other complete kits out there offered by PST and Just Suspension. Just Suspension offers rebuild kits from $300 to $3000. Obviously the more parts in the kit, the more it costs. Their top of the line kit also includes disc brakes, calipers, a new steering box, and tools. The kit they offer that is comparbale to XV in component count is $1800. The only problem with it is that it only comes with KYB shocks, which are not much better than OEM style shocks. So even though their kit is $800 less than XV, you would still spend that much extra to get a decent shock.

It may seem that I'm harping on shocks a lot and I am. Shocks have a huge impact on the feel and performance of the suspension as a whole. Think of them as comparable to the camshaft in an engine, they determine how all the other parts behave together. Bad ones can make even great parts not work well together. Good ones can make average parts seem great.

Consider this, any professional race team, outside of drag racing, will employ at least one person who's sole job is to dyno test shocks, record all the results, and rebuild them to optomize their performance. Once at the track, all teams have the same access to the same springs from the same manufacturers in the same rates. The application of shock technology to the car, conditions, and driver is what seperates the front of the pack from the back because they have the best shock information.

Stroker, you need to try your hand at some course racing some time. Drag racing is great fun,  but the fun only last 10-14 seconds. On a circuit race you can get that same rush for 10-14 minutes. Everyone expects a mopar to be fast in a straight line. When you can also blow them away on the cloverleaf getting on the interstate is when the jaws really start dropping.

nivvy

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007 - 10:57:03 AM »
Stroker, you need to try your hand at some course racing some time. Drag racing is great fun,  but the fun only last 10-14 seconds. On a circuit race you can get that same rush for 10-14 minutes. Everyone expects a mopar to be fast in a straight line. When you can also blow them away on the cloverleaf getting on the interstate is when the jaws really start dropping.

[/quote]

Sounds cool but nothing like that around my parts...I thought it was cool when the 68 charger beat the lotus in competition on bullrun  :burnout:

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2007 - 11:35:34 AM »
Makes sense to me Don. :clapping: Classy, stock appearing yet a touch of evil hidden away. :smokin: The 'Cuda will be just like Lucy. 90-95% stock appearing but with a few modern upgrades, most of which are hidden and the ones that aren't look very close to stock spec parts.

For me, I find it nicer to see cars stock but with planning and craftsmanship to hide the upgrades, takes more work but well worth it. Also, I like cars that are stock looking with upgrades that you can walk right up to and still think they're factory stock, especially exterior wise (body, wheels, height, etc)

Exactly!  Im still leaning toward the XV kit.

Cuda Guy

The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline willhaven

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007 - 12:18:21 PM »
I think if you can afford it, you probably won't regret it, especially if you go with the slightly low profile wheels that make it complete. 17's and 18's are generally considered optimal for performance driving these days.

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2007 - 06:21:57 PM »
Sounds cool but nothing like that around my parts...I thought it was cool when the 68 charger beat the lotus in competition on bullrun  :burnout:

google your area + autocross.  It's how I found two clubs in CT (CART & FCSCC) as well as the New England Region SCCA (centered in Western Mass).  Autocross is essentially Low Speed road racing, typically lasts anywhere from 30-75 seconds a lap.  Pretty much a road course laid out with cones in large parking lots.  It's a great intro to road racing.

Many autocross clubs include track days.  I'm just racing with CART this year, but they offer 3 trips to the Pocono Road Courses (PA) as well as 1 to Lime Rock (CT).  That's what I'm building up my Challenger for (well, as soon as it comes home)
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver