Author Topic: my project for the next 6 weeks  (Read 8643 times)

Offline 73 challenger 440

my project for the next 6 weeks
« on: August 18, 2007 - 01:53:11 PM »
I started to sand dowm my car, with my dads help looks like I need to cut a section out.  where should I start to cut the old section, and what gauge metal should I replace it with? I was hoping on going some fab work to get another piece of metal in there close to the shape.
heres a pic of me and my brother and the car before and after sanded, and ofcourse the rot.. there are 2 mpre spots on the car, door and lower panel that has some bubbling very minor, but that could turn out to be bad.. this is the only spot I see a major concern...

Offline willhaven

Re: my project for the next 6 weeks
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007 - 05:01:21 PM »
What color are you going to go with? Green again?

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007 - 06:24:09 PM »
18 gauge is correct on the sheet metal question.

Offline ambitions2

• ..we gunna make it to the finish line...
    • 72 Challenger EV-2 Project
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007 - 07:12:17 PM »
Whats going on, I'm 21 and it is cool see someone younger doing this too.  Car looks solid, and if that is the only part you really need to finish you could probably get that fabbed or even see if someone has a parts car that you could get that piece off.  Good luck, whats your plans
Project: 1972 Challenger - 340 AT 8 3/4 3.23 gears
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtitan2220

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007 - 08:11:31 PM »
Whats going on, I'm 21 and it is cool see someone younger doing this too.  Car looks solid, and if that is the only part you really need to finish you could probably get that fabbed or even see if someone has a parts car that you could get that piece off.  Good luck, whats your plans

thanks.. I just turned 20 a week ago.. bought the car at 18...
I am making it into a t/a clone, I know it's 73, but I love the look... I bought a new front bumper because the olds one was weather beaten, not really shiny anymore, and I ordered the t/a exhaust for it, I have headers so i'll have to probaly get pipes that will line up with the t/a mufflers..  I'ts going subline green, (standox paint) I already have the flat black decals for the sides, I got the 440 6 pack decals as well, but i'll change the 6 to an 8.. the hood will be painted the correct black, as  the rear light section.. the interior is almost excellent condition, the door panels are not that great, the headliner is leather, new uphostery no dash cracks, new carpet... but I'll look on ebay or if anyone hear wants to sell me or point me in the direction of someone that would be willing to part with this section I would very much appreaciate it... one more bolt and the bumper is off,,

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007 - 08:13:16 PM »
also, the previous owner had the car painted in 1993... it was a garage kept car..

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007 - 12:12:54 PM »
how do I remove the window molding, I want to start with the rear window,

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007 - 07:56:39 PM »
Good luck on your project.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007 - 08:57:50 PM »
Good luck on your project.

thanks.....
figured out how to get the molding off, not that bad....... hopefully I'll have it in epoxy in a week, hardest part is door jambs and trunk...

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007 - 04:56:17 PM »
I ordered frame connectors, I want to know if I have the jack stands is in the correct location for sopporting the weight? I have a hydraulic supporting the front of the car, when I let it down the car looks like it's going downhill.., I know it's the flex of the weight in the front, but should I let it hang when installing the subrame connectors??
I'll continue to use this thread for my post, i'll know i'll run into snags..

Offline ambitions2

• ..we gunna make it to the finish line...
    • 72 Challenger EV-2 Project
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007 - 11:56:31 PM »
thanks.. I just turned 20 a week ago.. bought the car at 18...
I am making it into a t/a clone, I know it's 73, but I love the look... I bought a new front bumper because the olds one was weather beaten, not really shiny anymore, and I ordered the t/a exhaust for it, I have headers so i'll have to probaly get pipes that will line up with the t/a mufflers..  I'ts going subline green, (standox paint) I already have the flat black decals for the sides, I got the 440 6 pack decals as well, but i'll change the 6 to an 8.. the hood will be painted the correct black, as  the rear light section.. the interior is almost excellent condition, the door panels are not that great, the headliner is leather, new uphostery no dash cracks, new carpet... but I'll look on ebay or if anyone hear wants to sell me or point me in the direction of someone that would be willing to part with this section I would very much appreaciate it... one more bolt and the bumper is off,,

Who cares if its a 73, I have a 72.  I got my when I was 18 also, drove it for a summer and then started to rip it apart.  As for the frame connectors, where'd you get them?  I am getting mine from either XV or US-Tool.  IF I'm not mistaken, I thought I read somewhere that when putting the frame connectors on the best methods are:
(1) Putting them on with a surface plate
and if you can't do that way
(2) take 10 - 12 jackstands and position them around the car.

Ha found the article, damn I was close....http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=34144.0
Project: 1972 Challenger - 340 AT 8 3/4 3.23 gears
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtitan2220

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007 - 10:10:17 PM »
thanks for the info...
I ordered magnum force connectors, not top quality, but It's better than having nothing. I'll weld them in.. I got a lot to do with little time...

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007 - 10:51:46 AM »
well here's where I am at today... got the epoxy on and the primer.. my Dad says 3-4 more weeks of body work, even though there are 3 spots we welded metal in, it's getting the car flat, we haven't even done any primer work to the hood.. hoping to get paint on it this year, but it looks like I wont be finished in time to drive it, to much stuff to do, after the paint, I still got the exhaust and frame connectors.. but we'll see.

Swedefish

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007 - 01:34:00 PM »
You`re doing a great job :2thumbs:. It will be ready for the streets in no time.
Keep them pics coming.

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007 - 10:56:32 AM »
thought I would add an update, I had some metal to replace. the car has been blocksanded after the bodywork was done, I reshot the car in primer now I'll go over anything that we have missed,  air bubbles in the filler,ect.. then I just spray the work the I may have to do, then blocksande the car again, and then paint..  I got standox for paint and clear.. 4 quarts of ready to spray paint 350.00 that autobody supplier dont carry standox, so my dad usually gets it from a guy he knows at a bodyshop..
here are some pics of the work we done so far.. got the frame connectors painted and installed, there bolted but are being welded as well... still have and exhaust to put on and change the intake manifold gasket before painting..