16 years later, and the car is still sitting in the vacant lot.......

Author Topic: 16 years later, and the car is still sitting in the vacant lot.......  (Read 1284 times)

Offline uthustler

.....the car that got me into Mopars, I found today. I was 17 in 1991 and saw it out in the country as I was driving by. I stopped, owner said, 'Dont ask, I wont sell it!' and I walked off. I checked on it ever month or two, then moved off to college.

Well i went and visited my dad today, and decided to go get lunch for us. Thought just for grins id go check on two Mopars I had seen back in high school, one was gone (70 cuda, 440-6) but as I rounded the bend the other one was still sitting there like it was in 1991. 1970, EV2 original color, 440, 4 speed 1970 Challenger R/T. No idea if it is a #'s car, but it is still sitting there under the same tree. He has faded shoe polish on the windshield that says, "DONT ASK!" so it must be fairly recent. I may go ask him again, doubt he remembers me from 16 years ago. Car still looks really good for just having sat there all these years..........

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: 16 years later, and the car is still sitting in the vacant lot.......
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007 - 04:27:53 PM »
Yeah I know the feeling. The car I missed on is a 71 Challenger vert, 318/auto/air, ralley wheels, red/white/white pwr top, slap stick. It was 1987 and I worked at a gas/service station. I could not swing the $1,500 and my dad would not co-sign the loan. This dude got it, put a new top on it and let it sit. It has been sitting in various places on his property for over 20 years. He thinks it is worth 40-60k with 2 inches of mud on everything in the interior(the top he purchased is shredded now) I bought a 70 lime green 'Cuda from the guy and would check on this car about 2 times a year. The last time I saw the guy he said he turned down 15k cash. I told him I would not be checking on the car again as it was a waste of both of our time. Guys like that get a kick out of having something no one else has but they dont care enough to get off their a$$ and fix it up. By the time someone gets that car it will be nothing but a pile of rusted junk because of how he stores it, sad thing for sure  :walkaway:

I did find out why my dad did not co-sign for me though, I was talking to him and finally told him how much it bugged me that he would not put his name on the loan, even if I had defaulted he could have easily paid it off, he said he saw 2 girls in high school roll a vert vette and as it slid down the road it smeared those girls into the street down to their shoulders. I was into the party life at that time and he worried that he would contribute to my death. I totally understood after he told me his reasoning and there was closure for the hostility that I had over the issue. I guess if I had not been such a one handed roller back then I could have had a really cool car  :hyper:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007 - 06:12:02 PM »
UT, where ya been?   There seems to have been some really nice cars slippin by.  You find you a car yet?  Seems like every clean e body I see I say to myself...ut needs to look at that..

Missed your constant posts. :2thumbs:

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007 - 06:20:37 PM »
UT, where ya been?   There seems to have been some really nice cars slippin by.  You find you a car yet?  Seems like every clean e body I see I say to myself...ut needs to look at that..

Missed your constant posts. :2thumbs:

I think me and UT are on the same boat....lol. I have been waiting for a car that is a no brainer to buy, I find lots of cars, but wont' buy a car from pictures anymore...i'm waiting till one comes up that someone knows or finds and is willing to pass along the deal.  :2thumbs:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007 - 06:25:19 PM »
I think me and UT are on the same boat....lol. I have been waiting for a car that is a no brainer to buy, I find lots of cars, but wont' buy a car from pictures anymore...i'm waiting till one comes up that someone knows or finds and is willing to pass along the deal.  :2thumbs:

I hear you 1bad, I have not forgotten about you either :2thumbs:  I'd let you look at my car and find another since I travell all the time, but trying to find a particular car like mine is harder then finding a js or bs car rust free.  My eyes are open for you.

Offline Morris'_Mopars

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007 - 06:26:46 PM »
I just dont understand some people. DONT ASK well why not if it is just going to sit there for another 16-17 years. Why do people have restorable cars but dont want to restore them or sell them!! Makes me  :pullinghair: :banghead: :stomp:.....Dont give up someday he might just give in! :2thumbs:
Morris' Mopars LLC
Raymond, Illinois
Mopar performance at affordable prices.

Offline ambitions2

• ..we gunna make it to the finish line...
    • 72 Challenger EV-2 Project
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007 - 06:50:46 PM »
I just dont understand some people. DONT ASK well why not if it is just going to sit there for another 16-17 years. Why do people have restorable cars but dont want to restore them or sell them!! Makes me  :pullinghair: :banghead: :stomp:.....Dont give up someday he might just give in! :2thumbs:

They think they will restore it one day, which if you are true to yourself and you know your not then sell it and take the money and use it for other things. 
Project: 1972 Challenger - 340 AT 8 3/4 3.23 gears
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtitan2220

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007 - 08:49:58 PM »
I hear you 1bad, I have not forgotten about you either :2thumbs:  I'd let you look at my car and find another since I travell all the time, but trying to find a particular car like mine is harder then finding a js or bs car rust free.  My eyes are open for you.

I appreciate that Al, if you come across anything of intrest in your travels definately let me or even Neil know and he can get in touch with me...and if you get tired of your car, i'd be more then interested too.   :2thumbs:   :jumping:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007 - 10:28:48 PM »
Ya theres a guy 15 minutes from me with fenced property and live's in a trailer and he is in his mid to late 40's.He has a restorable 70 duster 340/4 car i want to buy.Its been there atleast 10 years that i know of.I asked him if he would sell a few years ago.He said"I'm gonna restore it"Mind you this guy has cerebal palsy or something(I feel for him and am not throwing stones at his condition)But come on,its still sitting there rotting away.He will never get to it or is physically capable to do it.SHeesh sell it and let someone do something with it.
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007 - 12:13:22 AM »
I forgot about a guy in this state that has literally ACRES of muscle dodges and plymouths, mostly e-bodies sitting. He will not sell any but does turn out one every so often, I heard he had a 440 FM3 'Cuda vert etc. He has a LOT of the high end type mopars that people dont see very often any more. Me and my brother in law tried to track down this place and although we got really warm we never saw the promised land. Maybe some day  :drool:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007 - 07:51:31 PM »
 :useless:
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002