Author Topic: Do I need to mount the electronics on bare metal?  (Read 767 times)

Offline burrpenick

Do I need to mount the electronics on bare metal?
« on: August 18, 2007 - 10:53:22 PM »
Putting the electrics back in the engine bay and need to know if I should sand the paint to bare metal before I mount the electronic ignition box, the regulator, and the junction/solenoid connection beside the battery.

Thanks,
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Do I need to mount the electronics on bare metal?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007 - 06:37:10 AM »
To play it safe, I would sand a little around the holes on the ignition box and voltage regulator. They must have a solid ground connection. I've never had my starter relay off, but I would assume the same thing would apply there as well.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007 - 09:35:09 AM »
I would and do so myself, and also sand the components to bare metal. The new voltage regulators have a pretty thick layer of something on them. And for better heat dissipation I'd recommend the mounting plate for the electronic ignition box if you don't have one.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007 - 11:50:11 AM »
At the factory, the screws cut thier own threads, so they removed the paint and had a good connection. With restos geting done, the best thing would be to weld up the original holes, and let the threads cut them again. The next best thing is to srape off the piant under one ear or something, to it grounds well. I also always use some dielectric grease to seal out moisture at that point. Otherwise, it will rust again. That's the same grease you get with spark plug wires...