Author Topic: Road trip plans to get my car down South  (Read 485 times)

Offline Grancoupe

Road trip plans to get my car down South
« on: August 20, 2007 - 06:48:45 PM »
OK. So i''m at a point where i've moved down to NC and am in the process of getting settled in. My friend and I have worked out a plan of scheduling a road trip and driving my car down from LI NY to Apex NC. Which brings up the reason for this post. Can anyone recommend any contacts down here to get a diff built? The car has an 8 3/4 with a 489 carrier and 456 gears. Not about to drive that down the way it is. I am looking to get a 489 or 742 carrier put together with a posi and a set of 355's. If I remember correctly the 742 and the 489 are at the same level give or take on strength? I know the car has the large yokes on it and also installed the Mopar kit that removed the adjuster on the pass side. Any way, the plan is to get this built and drive it up to NY in a rental along with some tools, install it and drive the car back down. The motor and tranny should have no issues for a 600 mile run as I left the car in storage in good runnning order.
Anyone got any connections down here?
Again Raleigh NC area. Will travel if a good deal is around.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: Road trip plans to get my car down South
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007 - 07:28:09 PM »
You can pick up a 2.76 open diff real cheap just for the drive and it should be pretty easy to find one.   :2cents:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Grancoupe

Re: Road trip plans to get my car down South
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007 - 09:35:32 PM »
hey torred, i guess im going to have to start picking the bone yards.