Author Topic: To believe or not.........  (Read 10202 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: To believe or not.........
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2007 - 02:43:11 PM »
This is exactly the issue. The vins were not cut out and transfered to another intact body. The surviving pieces, which included the vins, had the car rebuilt around them.

Then this is probably the "edge" of the gray area. If the car was built around these pieces, then it's probably not a rebody, but if an existing VIN or radiator support, or any other identifying piece was removed in order for these pieces to be used, then it is a rebody

sleepychallenger

« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2007 - 03:17:28 PM »
Just to lighten the topic a little, does anyone remember when Daffy Duck was a saleperson trying to go door to door selling stuff?  He was trying to sell all sorts of home appliances and such to Elmer Fudd (I think...).  At the the end he did something to blow up Elmer's house just when Daffy was holding the door knob on the front door, the door knob being the only thing left of the house.

His last line was, "Hey buddy, I know what I can sell you!  You need a house to go with this door knob!!!"

:roflsmiley:  :smilielol:  Eh, I thought it was funny at the time.....  :walkaway:

Just going to say that with anything, like that door knob, as HP2 said, "With enough time, money, and effort, yes, anything is repairable."

i really thing this sums up this car. I would have to agree with the what percentage of the original car must remain before it is an official rebody. I realize that they did swap out most of the body, but they saved what they could. yes i say its a rebody but i am holding back from saying it is 100% a bad thing. they did save what they could and it is now a beautiful car. also, didnt they say that they had a hemi that was date coded 71? or did i mis read that part, i know not orig engine but same could be said about a car that blew the engine back in 71 right.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2007 - 06:17:57 PM »
With enough time, money, and effort, yes, anything is repairable.

Again, what percentage or original steel must replaced for a car to be considered a rebody? 1%, 10%, 75%, 95%, where is this line drawn?

To me this is simple, anything over 50% replacement is considered a rebody.  This means over 1/2 of the car is different.  At the very least this car should have a salvaged VIN/title. 

Without seeing the "restoration" process documented it's impossible to believe the car was built from the "original Hemi" leaf spring brackets.

Offline tancuda

« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2007 - 06:49:43 PM »
My opinion is when a car is crushed, well it's over, put the vin# on a black list.
The only reason to bring back this car is for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, it's a rare car and
a dream car, but it will always be a rebody for a lot of people.
395000$ for vin# !!!  :eek4:

Nobody would've done that to a 318 barracuda !!

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2007 - 07:10:00 AM »

I agree that without other photgraphic documentation of the "resurection" we are all just guessing. Knowing the controversy about this, I'd be willing to bet that is exactly why they involved Galen from the begining.

So would the 50% be visable sheet metal or structural sheet metal?

I'm willing to bet there are a number of more "average" cars on this site that have had inner and outer fenders, doors, quarters, dutchman, and taillight panels replaced. That is easily 50%+ of the visable metal. Yet, I bet they still have their vins and title work and call themselves JS23 or BS23.

What about those race cars that have had sub frames replaced with tube frames with the floors replaced with aluminum, inner fenders removed, fiberglass doors and fenders and huge wheel tubs. Over 50% of the supporting structural metal has been replaced with something else. Granted, selling untitle or salvaged race cars is not the touchy proposition that it is with a street car.

I'm just saying this isn't all as cut and dried as many would like to think and there is no legal definition that I'm aware of that the defines the limits of rebody. It is all personal opinion. Heck, there aren't even consistent titling requirements from state to state in regard to old cars. I think Challenger HK nailed it when he said lawmakers, being predominatly non-car types, never envisioned this amount of effort in rebuilding a vehicle so they stopped at simply saying swapping vins onto another completed body is illegal. That leaves the rebuilding process completly wide open.

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2007 - 06:05:21 PM »
To me this is simple, anything over 50% replacement is considered a rebody.  This means over 1/2 of the car is different.

So if someone replaces both front fenders, the hood and trunk lid it's a re-body and should get a salvage title?  Not in my book!

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2007 - 08:24:14 PM »
So if someone replaces both front fenders, the hood and trunk lid it's a re-body and should get a salvage title?  Not in my book!

Mike

I should have been clearer, when I said 50% of car.  This includes all of the structural metal, not just exterior sheet metal.  You're scenario would be 20-25% max.  I would consider the uni-body/roof to make up >60%.

I realize this is a grey area, what if you replace 25%, then 5-10yrs later replace another 25%.  I could poke many holes in my own opinion.

The car we are talking about however has at least 75-90% of it's ENTIRE structure replaced.

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2007 - 08:47:13 PM »
That makes more sense and I think I agree with you.  Nut your estimate of 75-90% might be a little conservative for that car.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline JJ

• Challenger-Registry
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2007 - 09:18:25 PM »
It would be interesting to see if the car sells and for how much. It could probably show up at one of the auctions. I will keep my eyes open for it.
Just imagine, this car would be for sale in the crushed condition as shown on the photo, buyers would be crazy about it and it would probably sell for big $.
Anyway, this is a real nice car.

Offline inot2old

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2007 - 04:22:01 PM »
Looking at the original pic of the car, it seems to me like they would have had to use another complete parts car.  Welding the frame rails, cowl, and rad support & VIN from a Hemi car onto  a BH car doesn't make a Hemi car IMO.  :horse:
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2007 - 04:30:35 PM »
 :dunno: bout dat [forest gump] it mite ov'e used a bolt or two from that first cuda.  :roflsmiley:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD