To believe or not.........

Author Topic: To believe or not.........  (Read 10213 times)

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: To believe or not.........
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007 - 03:07:14 PM »
Since all the numbers on our E-bods appear on the front, cowl, dash and radiator support I guess if the car was taken apart by drilling out all the welds and then the front was grafted on to a good rear clip and roof it wouldn't be a rebody,,, would it?

It would be alot easier just to drill out the parts with the numbers and weld them to a comeplete car though  :dunno:

It sure is nice looking whatever it is  :2thumbs:

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007 - 03:40:07 PM »
I would say a rebody is when you move vin tags and stampings form one car to another.  Is is simple as that.

If yo take a car that is rusted away, and replace the doors, the quarters the fenders etc. etc. but you are usign the origional shell, that is not a rebody, it is insane but not a rebody. 

Its like if a car gets hit int he rear and you replace the rear clip, that is not a rebody, it is collision repair.  Fixed right, it is stil a safe car.

Moving numbers from one car to another, (ehther that is drilling out the rad support or cowl at the spot welds, or cuttign just the numbers is wrong and illegal.  I see it as a very black and white issue!

Oh and I agree, it is a beautiful car, but be hosent and call it what it is.  If it was fixed and not rebodied, that show the pics of the reapirs etc.
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2007 - 04:31:39 PM »
Since some of the original shell was saved and used technically it is not a re-body but there is a vast grey area as to how much of a car you can replace without it being one. 

...and this is the HUGE grey area that causes this type of controversy. What percentage of a car must be re-used to consider the car simply rebuilt compared to rebody? Since the after market offers floors, fender, quarters, trunks, hoods, etc. how much is enough to still be original? Just the cowl, the cowl and roof, or is it the sills and firewall? Where is this line drawn? As more people buy into the mopar market, more demand for cars and parts come forward, and more parts become available, this grey area is going to continue to be exploited/capitalized on.

Just what I was thinking. What makes Gumbers Nuru so all knowing? Why does everyone take his word as gospel? If he puts his stamp of approval on a dog turd does that make it a hemicuda?  :poopoke:

Because so many people for so many years have granted him that authority through contributions of time, money, and data. He only knows so much because people have given him all the info and everytime someone is willing to pay to recieve additional info or register their car or seek his apoorval, it further solidifes the position. Not that it is all bad, after all, we have to have gurus on things to function as a society.

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2007 - 05:36:51 PM »
Now that this topic is going down this road.....I could give a rats a** about a rebody... sh*t,,, jack up the vin,, cut off the cowl, weld it in and call it done.  IF and that is the big word..IF the car IS done correctly,, who cares?? and who would ever know?  The car was built to be a Barracuda..... whether it was supposed to be a  Cuda,,, or an AAR... Or a 6 pk car.... DOESN'T MATTER..  It is only sheetmetal If you do the resto correctly... then the car is a (whatever you build it to be).

End of Story

Serious buyers will know if the car is  the real deal or not.  And if the car is redone well enough that you cannot tell .....KUDOS... :worshippy :worshippy
Hurry,, Duane the tub,,I'm Dwouning....

Offline nakita7

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2007 - 05:41:02 PM »
The guy used what he could off the original car, replaced what he had to, and used the original VIN and numbers. He fixed the ORIGINAL car the best he could. I am definately not getting the 'rebody' thing. Can someone help me out here...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007 - 05:43:21 PM by nakita7 »
72 Charger Rallye (440 auto)
72 Charger Rallye (318 auto)
71 Charger RT

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007 - 06:49:08 PM »
The guy used what he could off the original car, replaced what he had to, and used the original VIN and numbers. He fixed the ORIGINAL car the best he could. I am definately not getting the 'rebody' thing. Can someone help me out here...
               Not getting the rebody thing?   Look at that crushed ass car, and tell me that car can be put on the road again. If you take a vin off a car, and put it on a different car, it is illegal, and a rebody. And that car is not a real Hemi Cuda

Now that this topic is going down this road.....I could give a rats a** about a rebody... sh*t,,, jack up the vin,, cut off the cowl, weld it in and call it done.  IF and that is the big word..IF the car IS done correctly,, who cares?? and who would ever know?  The car was built to be a Barracuda..... whether it was supposed to be a  Cuda,,, or an AAR... Or a 6 pk car.... DOESN'T MATTER..  It is only sheetmetal If you do the resto correctly... then the car is a (whatever you build it to be).

End of Story

Serious buyers will know if the car is  the real deal or not.  And if the car is redone well enough that you cannot tell .....KUDOS... :worshippy :worshippy

Wang, your shady as hell dude, i bet you do some vin swaping yourself, dont cha.

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2007 - 07:03:42 PM »
               Not getting the rebody thing?   Look at that crushed ass car, and tell me that car can be put on the road again. If you take a vin off a car, and put it on a different car, it is illegal, and a rebody. And that car is not a real Hemi Cuda

Wang, your shady as hell dude, i bet you do some vin swaping yourself, dont cha.

No , truth be told ,, I personally haven't .. but as stated above, I see no harm.. It is ONLY SHEETMETAL.. IT DOES NOT BECOME A  CUDA, AAR, CHALLY R/T, OR T/A  just because it was built with a SPECIFIC designation as to what kind of motor, exaust, or a few other options that would have been applied to the car at the time it was ordered.
IT IS ONLY METAL.  How you build it is up to YOU.. If ..YOU happen to be lucky enough to acquire a title with tags (let alone a complete drive train for that car) then you have the GOLDEN opportunity to  restore a car to its true glory, and bring it back to life.

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2007 - 07:07:37 PM »
No , truth be told ,, I personally haven't .. but as stated above, I see no harm.. It is ONLY SHEETMETAL.. IT DOES NOT BECOME A  CUDA, AAR, CHALLY R/T, OR T/A  just because it was built with a SPECIFIC designation as to what kind of motor, exaust, or a few other options that would have been applied to the car at the time it was ordered.
IT IS ONLY METAL.  How you build it is up to YOU.. If ..YOU happen to be lucky enough to acquire a title with tags (let alone a complete drive train for that car) then you have the GOLDEN opportunity to  restore a car to its true glory, and bring it back to life.

Little lone the fact that I truly believe the REALISTIC possibilities of this happening are becoming VERY slim. ........ think about it before you tear me apart.......

Offline nakita7

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007 - 08:47:31 PM »
"If you take a vin off a car, and put it on a different car, it is illegal, and a rebody. :poopoke:"

WHO said he did this?????
72 Charger Rallye (440 auto)
72 Charger Rallye (318 auto)
71 Charger RT

Offline aussie-e-body

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007 - 08:56:58 PM »
WOW,thats a beautifully restored set of hemi frame rails
i want it all-i want it yesterday-and i want it for nothing

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007 - 08:57:29 PM »
Where is the input from our body guys...I'd like to hear their opinion, by the looks of the car i'd be surprised if the firewall, cowl, rad support everything wasn't crushed....i'm no body man but that thing looks like it should have RIP....there should be some sort of guidelines as to what cars are able to be rebuilt and what ones should always remain salvage, you should have to get proper approval from a government official that labels the car as "rebuildable"  :dunno:                

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2007 - 09:32:21 PM »
Wang.....What makes a T/A...AAR...R/T or Cuda?  It is the SPECIFIC designation that the factory put them as. Limited production #s and special options are what its all about. No matter what symbols, or engine you put on a car, it does not make it real one.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007 - 09:50:12 PM »
While I believe our cars are rare enough to be worthwhile even in base form, there is something to the vin number. Rarity is earned by the fact that 10's of thousands of base /6 and 318 Challengers and Barracudas were made but only a handful by comparison of the heavy hitters were made. hundreds of 440-6 and barely over 100 hemi coupes or even less. Rare is rare and is by its very nature much more valuable. Yeah, sure, you can take a sheet of metal and make a new body but is it rare or valuable? This just might answer that question, how much for a legit Cobra? how much is an exact replica worth? I rest my case on that.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007 - 10:05:00 PM »
This is about a car that was in my eyes beyond fixing,but thats me.Can they show proof that they fixed that mangled mess?

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2007 - 10:27:31 PM »
This is about a car that was in my eyes beyond fixing,but thats me.Can they show proof that they fixed that mangled mess?

LMAO, the jury is in ladies and gentlemen. When the Clown admits a car is beyond help then brother, it is beyond help.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*