To believe or not.........

Author Topic: To believe or not.........  (Read 10224 times)

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
Re: To believe or not.........
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2007 - 10:35:04 PM »
LMAO, the jury is in ladies and gentlemen. When the Clown admits a car is beyond help then brother, it is beyond help.

:iagree:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2007 - 10:44:53 PM »
I don't think that to be true about me but am honored.And if someone here knows the guy that actually fixed that car please put them in touch with me because I would like to shake his hand.It is possible to fix anything isn't it?

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2007 - 11:06:45 AM »
With enough time, money, and effort, yes, anything is repairable.

Again, what percentage or original steel must replaced for a car to be considered a rebody? 1%, 10%, 75%, 95%, where is this line drawn?

Do replacement parts have to be from the OEM supplier or can they be aftermarket? Is my car more correct if I use NOS quarter panels which never came on it or aftermarket replacement panels that never came on it? Must I used all original parts, can I use any aftermarket parts?

Looking at the picture posted up on page 1, it is entirely possible the floorpans, frame rails, firewall, cowl, inner fenders and radiator support were salvageable. That would leave the roof, pillars, quarters, doors, trunk, hood, and fenders as replacements. Aside from the roof and pillers, I'm sure there are cars on here that have had that much metal in them replaced. With 80% of the VISABLE sheet metal replaced, are these cars considered a rebody? We see these types of cars advertised all the time as restored cars. If the structural parts are cut out and replaced with coil overs, ladder bars, aluminum panels, and a roll cage, is it still a Cuda? We see these cars for sale regularly also being sold as Cudas. Are they really?

Without any other pictures or additional information, we are all just guessing as to how much was actually saved or trashed.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007 - 11:29:04 AM by HP2 »

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2007 - 11:11:07 AM »
No , truth be told ,, I personally haven't .. but as stated above, I see no harm.. It is ONLY SHEETMETAL.. IT DOES NOT BECOME A  CUDA, AAR, CHALLY R/T, OR T/A  just because it was built with a SPECIFIC designation as to what kind of motor, exaust, or a few other options that would have been applied to the car at the time it was ordered.
IT IS ONLY METAL.  How you build it is up to YOU.. If ..YOU happen to be lucky enough to acquire a title with tags (let alone a complete drive train for that car) then you have the GOLDEN opportunity to  restore a car to its true glory, and bring it back to life.

It's not "JUST SHEETMETAL". The article plainly states that the radiator support, VIN#, etc were saved and reused.  They did not restore the original vehicle. They put the identifying parts on another vehicle. THIS IS A REBODY!

Offline nakita7

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2007 - 06:20:09 PM »
You guys keep saying the numbers were added to another vehicle. WHERE DOES IT SAY THIS??? How many times do I have to reread the article?
72 Charger Rallye (440 auto)
72 Charger Rallye (318 auto)
71 Charger RT

Offline inot2old

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007 - 09:04:54 PM »
The original frame rails, transmission cross member, rear shock cross member, k-frame, transport tie downs, front and rear hemi boxes, leaf spring front supports, and the rare front rubber bumper brackets were all used. It also has the cowl with original numbers, radiator support, and the original dash tag.

This is what he says was all that was used of the original car.  It doen't even have the original drivetrain.  I don't see how that can be called an original Hemi Cuda. :dupe:
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline tancuda

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007 - 09:32:27 PM »
Here's another ad for this car, It was about 2-3 months ago,

less details and 100 000$ more...........

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2007 - 10:13:16 PM »
This is about a car that was in my eyes beyond fixing,but thats me.Can they show proof that they fixed that mangled mess?

Even if I could afford this car, I would not buy it because there is to much "What if?" about it.  I would rather take another car and put a Hemi in it.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline tancuda

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2007 - 07:33:54 AM »
Here's another ad for this car, It was about 2-3 months ago,

less details and 100 000$ more...........

Sorry here's the ad.....  :D

Offline tancuda

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2007 - 07:38:25 AM »

Even if I could afford this car, I would not buy it because there is to much "What if?" about it.  I would rather take another car and put a Hemi in it.

:iagree: :iagree:

But very very nice car.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2007 - 12:59:41 PM »
It is possible to fix anything isn't it?

Just to lighten the topic a little, does anyone remember when Daffy Duck was a saleperson trying to go door to door selling stuff?  He was trying to sell all sorts of home appliances and such to Elmer Fudd (I think...).  At the the end he did something to blow up Elmer's house just when Daffy was holding the door knob on the front door, the door knob being the only thing left of the house.

His last line was, "Hey buddy, I know what I can sell you!  You need a house to go with this door knob!!!"

:roflsmiley:  :smilielol:  Eh, I thought it was funny at the time.....  :walkaway:

Just going to say that with anything, like that door knob, as HP2 said, "With enough time, money, and effort, yes, anything is repairable."
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2007 - 01:34:56 PM »

It'll be interesting to know what he ends up selling the car for.  I don't think anyone knowledgible (sp?) will pay top dollar.  As mentioned, it doesn't even have the original drivetrain.  I truly don't think it's worth any more than regular car with a hemi swap.

And to go 1 step further, I would rather have a rebody than this car.  If they did really "rebuild" it, it'll never be as good as original unmolested car. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007 - 01:36:54 PM by Katfish »

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2007 - 05:53:55 PM »
Just to lighten the topic a little, does anyone remember when Daffy Duck was a saleperson trying to go door to door selling stuff?  He was trying to sell all sorts of home appliances and such to Elmer Fudd (I think...).  At the the end he did something to blow up Elmer's house just when Daffy was holding the door knob on the front door, the door knob being the only thing left of the house.

His last line was, "Hey buddy, I know what I can sell you!  You need a house to go with this door knob!!!"

I LOVE THAT CARTOON!!!    :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

Offline 2TAGS

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2007 - 12:02:11 PM »
I vote rebody...he seems to be upfront with what he is selling, but doesn't want to call it a rebody.  As long as the buyer knows what he/she is getting I don't have a problem with it.  If this car were 95% original and restored correctly it could be worth $600-650K maybe more.  Is it worth $400K?  I don't lnow, but if it were 1970 and I was ordering a Hemi 'Cuda this is the car it would have been (probably would've included a wing and rear rubber bumper).  If the original buildsheet (no mention of it) and fender tags verify this car it should still be a very desirable.  I think it's great that one of the original '71 Hemi 'Cudas has been documented and resurrected.  The car looks outstanding!  I love that B5 on a '71!   :droolingbounce:
1971 'Cuda 340

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2007 - 01:15:10 PM »
I think it's great that one of the original '71 Hemi 'Cudas has been documented and resurrected. 

Unfortunately, that is the big debate here. has it been resurrected, or cloned? I don't see any clones going for that kind of money.