Author Topic: Painting your car.  (Read 4290 times)

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
Re: Painting your car.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007 - 11:16:00 PM »
I painted the interior, door jams, under hood, under deck lid, engine bay, and under side of the car with everything disassembled.  Then assembled the car and shot the outside.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007 - 12:34:03 AM »
Hemi-dog that looks great from what i can see. I think i will be okay, lots of good advice here.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007 - 12:52:53 AM »
I painted my Cuda's door jams, interior compartment, trunk, bottom side of car, engine compartment, and all the related parts apart and then put them back together. I even made up a plastic paint booth with box fans in my 2 car garage and sprayed 3 coats of ppg DBC base for a sealer to see if I had missed anythng. I let it dry for 2 weeks then blocked sanded it with 1500 and I'm glad I went this route as I found a small ding in a quarter panel and one on the top of a fender which would of been missed if I had not done this. I rented a body shops paint booth for a weekend to do the final outside spaying to keep dirt down. The box fans work good but the small filters will get dirty fast from the overspray even with HVLP guns. I have a couple of cheap HVLP guns for primer and small painted items and have even painted some big areas with these cheap gun with pretty good luck. I want a devilbiss finish line gun now but have not bought one yet.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007 - 08:40:16 AM »
71340RT
Next time when you make your booth and use the box fans don't put the filter next to the fans. Instead have the fans blow out of the booth and the filters on the other side will let the air in that way no dust gets in and with no filter next to the fan nothing will plug up. Bad part is your box fans will now be the color of your car, at least you have a matching fan for your car LOL. There is some good tips here, every buddy looks like they did some nice work.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007 - 10:28:36 AM »
I'm just waiting to get into this new garage.  Then I'll do the hood,fender tops black again.  I've actually cleaned up alot of small stuff and still drive around. Red is easy to hide :misbehaving:     

'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007 - 01:35:58 PM »
If you have your fans sucking out of the garage to the outside, is there anything you can do outside to keep overspray or mist or whatever you call air full of paint particles from floating around and covering everything outside, like sidewalk, driveway ,neighbours house etc.

Offline matt63

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007 - 02:47:38 PM »
Paint booths draw through filters.  Perhaps you could rig up something that won't reduce air flow greatly.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline LAA66

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007 - 04:36:19 PM »
 If using the fans as an exhaust, I would worry about blowing the booth (and yourself) up with all of the fumes going past the electric motors. Especially shooting lacquer.  :2cents:

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007 - 04:43:11 PM »
If using the fans as an exhaust, I would worry about blowing the booth (and yourself) up with all of the fumes going past the electric motors. Especially shooting lacquer.  :2cents:
Blow yourself up! HA! I smoke in the booth, around the booth, and have even dropped a cig in a cup of of laquer thinner and never worried about fire. It's not gasolene people. Believe me I've played with flamables and fire.
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007 - 04:57:36 PM »
Never had a problem with the fans sucking out. By time the over spray gets past the fans its pretty much dry and you can sweep it up. with that said yes it gets every where. Mine blows into the back yard so next time I mow the lawn its gone.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007 - 05:08:36 PM »
You can set up a hose with a shower effect, it will knock all the fumes & solids to the ground, guess thats if you have the exhaust fan low to the ground, my friend did it that way cause his garage is under the house(raised ranch)  worked pretty good. Rich.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007 - 07:18:34 PM »
Great ideas, thankyou.

Offline matt63

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007 - 09:50:20 PM »
I have heard that some shops will rent their paint booths out.  It may help to know someone that works there.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007 - 10:02:13 PM »
I have heard that some shops will rent their paint booths out.  It may help to know someone that works there.

I just did that last week painting a Pontiac.  $100 for 6 hours but we were out of there in 5.
( I had too many runs in the clear though :misbehaving: )  Should have been a little more carefull.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007 - 10:33:52 PM »
Blow yourself up! HA! I smoke in the booth, around the booth, and have even dropped a cig in a cup of of laquer thinner and never worried about fire. It's not gasolene people. Believe me I've played with flamables and fire.

I once caught a gasoline soaked rag on fire in the garage using a 1/4" drill motor from 4 feet away. Maybe from the sparks of the motor or from the bit.  :dunno: So do you feel lucky.........  Well do ya? :poopoke: