Author Topic: Rant about "Painless"  (Read 2052 times)

Offline shatar4

• 71 Challenger
Rant about "Painless"
« on: August 26, 2007 - 12:13:50 PM »
For being Painless, this wiring is about the most confusing there is. I have about the same wiring experience as brain surgury. I had bought another kit to do the car for $130.00 but after getting started on installing, it was very confusing so this is why I bought Painless wiring for my 71 Challenger because it's suppose to be painless to put in. I have problems installing, write tech support and guess what, 9 to 5, Monday thru Friday! I guess most people work on their cars at this time and have no problems except M-F, 9-5. For the money I spent on this wiring kit (Mopar kit), I should have went with stock wiring thru Year one or someone else. Now I have to wait to put my dash in, int. in, because of these 7 wires until M-F, 9-5.
1971 Triple black 340 Challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Rant about "Painless"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007 - 01:00:24 PM »
That's too bad, but I can understand trying to find a way around Year One's prices. I guess Painless is a P.I.T.A.   :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007 - 01:05:29 PM »
I'm helping rewiring another members car with a kit very similar to painless...what is hard about it? its just plain time consuming. The kits are 'custom', they take time, thinking, and understanding of electrical components. I'd think everyone considering one would take that in mind before tackling it...
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

nivvy

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007 - 01:26:02 PM »
When you buy the kit what all do you actually need to buy to do the whole car??? I have a challenger...

part#'s??

Offline shatar4

• 71 Challenger
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007 - 02:04:49 PM »
Well I have seven wires that I do not know where they go or they do not go on my year of car. 2 of those 7 are not even liosted in the book so I have no idea where they go. 1966-1976 cars have different options on the cars so they may go to my year or not.

Offline shatar4

• 71 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007 - 02:10:57 PM »
I'm helping rewiring another members car with a kit very similar to painless...what is hard about it? its just plain time consuming. The kits are 'custom', they take time, thinking, and understanding of electrical components. I'd think everyone considering one would take that in mind before tackling it...

If that is the case, why do they say "It is designed for easy installation, even if you have no electrical experience."

They should take that out of their ad's and manuals.

Offline shatar4

• 71 Challenger
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007 - 02:14:40 PM »
That's too bad, but I can understand trying to find a way around Year One's prices. I guess Painless is a P.I.T.A.   :grinyes:

Mike

I really thought it was going to be easy. Their tech support is something else. Open from 9-5, M-F,. Most car people are working on the car on the weekends and have questions Sat-Sun.

nivvy

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007 - 03:49:59 PM »
Take your time you will figure it out.... :bigsmile:

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007 - 03:57:29 PM »
Easy is paying the extra for the correct wiring with the correct connectors attached. Painless is JUNK IMO!
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007 - 04:01:26 PM »
Well I have seven wires that I do not know where they go or they do not go on my year of car. 2 of those 7 are not even liosted in the book so I have no idea where they go. 1966-1976 cars have different options on the cars so they may go to my year or not.

What do they say on them?
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007 - 09:14:34 PM »
Painless is a Name Not a statement on installing it , if you have a factory service manual you should be able to figure out how to connect all the circuits

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007 - 10:51:46 PM »
I did the Painless Mopar Setup on my 71 CHallenger and had very little problem.  I had everything laid out and organized.  All the wires were labeled where they had to go.  The only problems I had was all the new ACC. I had added in.

Here is a good overview of what I did with my painless setup.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=35146.msg352917#msg352917

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline shatar4

• 71 Challenger
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007 - 01:40:31 AM »
Painless is a Name Not a statement on installing it , if you have a factory service manual you should be able to figure out how to connect all the circuits

Got this right from their manual. Section 1.0: "It is designed for easy installation, even if you have no electrical experience."

Kinda sounds "Painless" to me!

All I'm saying is they need to really think about redoing their manual so it's easier to understand. Why should I go to someother book to put their product in when they supply a manual?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007 - 03:26:20 AM »
probably because you need to understand how the circuit is routed to make it work correctly

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007 - 03:40:35 PM »
I went through their manual, seemed easy enough.  They give you the diagrams, all I had to do way lay everything out, match up the colors, and boom, install.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham