My ears perked up...

Author Topic: My ears perked up...  (Read 5421 times)

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
Re: My ears perked up...
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007 - 10:52:53 PM »
pics required if you get that far.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007 - 02:04:33 PM »
The people that don't want to sell usually start out not selling because of sentimental reason (Look how many of us have said "I wish I never would have sold my first Mopar"), but then, when the value goes up, or they see the same car on BJ, they start thinking that their car is worth that, or that if it's worth a lot now, it'll be worth a lot more next year. LOL. I've had a lot of in-depth conversations with people that don't want to sell a car, and it almost always comes down to the same thing.

Then there's the BS factor. I don't know how many times I have heard of a 60's something big-block Vette that is for sale somewhere for really cheap because someone died in it and was there for a few days in the hot sun. Been hearing that one for the last 30 years. ALways turns out to be "Heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend whose mother sat next to the mother of the third cousin of the wife the uncle of the son of the last owner who was the one that died in it!" LOL.

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007 - 03:17:37 PM »
Here's an idea... If you can get a location of the car, go to the door and start up a conversation, but do not say the roofer told you as it may get him in trouble. Say you just heard about it being here. Take some pictures of your car, have them developed, and ask him if he would like to see the one you own. He may show you his car, and offer to wash and wax it if it is in Perhaps you and he will start a relationship and as long as he knows you have one and take care of it, he may call you out of the blue and ask if you would like to buy it. Good Luck

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007 - 03:53:52 PM »
Here's an idea... If you can get a location of the car, go to the door and start up a conversation, but do not say the roofer told you as it may get him in trouble. Say you just heard about it being here. Take some pictures of your car, have them developed, and ask him if he would like to see the one you own. He may show you his car, and offer to wash and wax it if it is in Perhaps you and he will start a relationship and as long as he knows you have one and take care of it, he may call you out of the blue and ask if you would like to buy it. Good Luck

Thanks for the advice, thats how I usually go about everything.  By showing someone that you take care of something can really sway a person's thinking.  Still havent gotten the call yet, unless he didnt leave a message while I was out.    :P  I'm not getting too excited, and I wont until I talk to this guy in person.   :-\

Offline RabidScott

• Work in Progress
    • waywardgarage.com
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007 - 04:39:26 PM »
You never know.... here in California we still have "barn finds" of 30's era cars, might be more difficult in the rust belt.

I followed up on a rumor couple years ago I heard from a Chevy guy who "got three carbs off a 'Cuda in a field".  I went to check it out, and there it sat, an almost complete (minus carbs and air cleaner) complete Plum crazy pistol grip '70 T/A Challenger.  I found the owner and asked, but the guy didn't want to sell because it was his high school car.  He did eventually drag it out of the field, and I haven't seen it since.

1970 Dodge Challenger
13.9 @ 101 with stock internally 440, OD 4 speed, 3.23 LSD

WaywardGarage.com

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007 - 09:13:35 PM »
I had a bus driver give me an old dodge car from the 60's. I was a sophomore in high school then(81). It had a 426 hemi in it. It was winter then and it was snowed in, and i couldn't get at it. I figured i could wait untill spring then go get it. It was parked by the river along with all his other junk. That spring was really wet and the river flooded. So long car, i never could find it. probably at the bottom of the river.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007 - 10:32:03 PM »
You never know....

Very true!

I just spoke to a guy I know today that his sister works in a battery production plant in the next town.  Supposedly in the warehouse is a white '70 Challenger R/T 440 6pack that's been sitting there for many a year. It had belonged to the owner of the battery plant and he died.  The car's title is lost and the 2 sons inherited the plant and both of them won't let the other get the car so it still sits there still today.  I might check it out after I get back from vacation in a week or wo.  Not to try to buy, but just to look at it.  If I do I'll post pics.

71bigblock, keep us updated!  :thumbsup:

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007 - 10:01:06 AM »
You never know what you are going to find....  I can atest to that.  I've found hundreds of muscle cars from word of mouth, just check out my site below.  I took every one of those pictures personally.

"You have a Superbird in the barn?  Sure you do......"

"Ah crappers..."

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007 - 04:28:32 PM »
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007 - 01:37:17 PM »
Well, I have an update for you guys.  I talked to the roofer in person today, he stopped out to write out a quote.  I did get a name and a city from him, problem is, its about 2 hours away, and I dont have a phone number or address.   :bricks1:

He did say that the guy is older, and likes his liquor.  Back in the 80's this guy had started taking this car apart, and never reassembled it.  He said a few years back (who knows how long ago that was) he asked him if he wanted to sell it.  He had had a few drinks and he said he'd take $5k cash for it.  He said he talked for another minute and was on the way to the bank when he said no.  BUT he did say that it was a "1970 'Cuda with the four-twenty six Hemi"  (thats exactly how he said it)  So, I have some info. 

If this is a dream come true, I would of course have to sell my car and some other things to buy it. 

Still, I dont have a phone or address, so this is going to get difficult, especially since I dont know how to spell his last name.  ( I can say it, just dont know EXACTLY how its spelled.)  Plus, he said he was old enough to where he could have passed by now? ???

You guys do realize the closer I come to this thing the less info I'm going to give?   :bigsmile: :rofl:

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007 - 01:55:46 PM »
Well, I have an update for you guys.  I talked to the roofer in person today, he stopped out to write out a quote.  I did get a name and a city from him, problem is, its about 2 hours away, and I dont have a phone number or address.   :bricks1:

He did say that the guy is older, and likes his liquor.  Back in the 80's this guy had started taking this car apart, and never reassembled it.  He said a few years back (who knows how long ago that was) he asked him if he wanted to sell it.  He had had a few drinks and he said he'd take $5k cash for it.  He said he talked for another minute and was on the way to the bank when he said no.  BUT he did say that it was a "1970 'Cuda with the four-twenty six Hemi"  (thats exactly how he said it)  So, I have some info. 

If this is a dream come true, I would of course have to sell my car and some other things to buy it. 

Still, I dont have a phone or address, so this is going to get difficult, especially since I dont know how to spell his last name.  ( I can say it, just dont know EXACTLY how its spelled.)  Plus, he said he was old enough to where he could have passed by now? ???

You guys do realize the closer I come to this thing the less info I'm going to give?   :bigsmile: :rofl:

Sounds like a good weekend trip to me....you'd be surprised how much you can find out by talking to people at service stations. I was in a small town getting gas one time, asked the old guy working if he knew of any mopars around this area, and he said he remember one sitting by a small lake in a guys yard. I drove up the road, and sure enough, behind a treeline was a 74 Rallye Challenger 4spd, guy wouldn't sell it.

Take a drive up, get nosey, and you'll find it, unless the town is Milwakee...lol.

Keep us posted.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007 - 03:06:39 PM »
 :wow: steve,just found this thread.Lets go find this cuda NOW!!!!We have a three day weekend so lets go.........  :naughty: Man if this turns out for you, which i hope it does that will be a find of a lifetime.seriously though,and i'm not b/s's around,do you won't to go try to find it this weekend.PM me and let me know.
On a side note,breaking out the Blood hounds and coming to you know where.  :lol:  :lol: If this roofer iss'nt b/s ing you around i would love to be there when you find it.  :drool:  :drool:  :droolingbounce:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007 - 03:09:51 PM »
 :bigsmile: oh ya,by the way,since you already have a HEMI and i don't,,,,,,,,,,,,HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!  :thinkerg:  ;D  :naughty:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007 - 03:40:02 PM »
Eh, it is just a Hemi Cuda.  I know of 2 sitting in a barn near me.  Seriously.

Good luck on your adventure.  You never know.  I've gone on hunts and found nothing... sometimes I find something... somthing real good.

Sounds like a nice weekend drive.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007 - 11:18:18 AM »
it sounds like you need to stop off at the liquor store on the way!! get him drunk!
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100