Author Topic: Long term project Engine Build 440  (Read 60404 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Long term project Engine Build 440
« on: August 26, 2007 - 01:59:31 PM »
Well it is probably time to get my restoration posted here. I have been communicating in our forums,asking lots of questions and learning alot. I am confident that this car is do-able and will be alot of fun learning to do everything i can. I was raised working on our own vehicles, and as i left the farm i took with me a lot of experience and learning my dad taught me. My only regret is back then my dad had no desire to have any kind of projects. I guess he was exhausting all of his time just raising the family.
This car was a runner when i purchased it, but has a lot of roof top rust, the hood is jimmy rigged with a z28 scoop from who knows when. a new hood will adorn it someday. Rear left quqrter will have to be changed as well as the dutchman and drivers side floor. Engine is a 318. All numbers match and is original. Engine will be my last phase in the future sometime. Strip down has begun. I hope to have it stripped down by thanksgiving and media blasted shortly after. Then this winter replace panels and fix rust. And blah blah blah, and so on. I will try and update as i mow along.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012 - 08:03:12 PM by Challengercrazy »

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term learning project
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007 - 02:00:35 PM »
Oh yeah my son wanted me to post his pic, so everyone knows that it is not just my project.

Swedefish

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007 - 02:14:41 PM »
Good luck with your project  :2thumbs:
Looks like a great car to start with. I`m sure of that you and your son will have a great time together during the project.

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007 - 02:36:37 PM »
Ya's are off to a good start. Take your time, keep asking questions, and most importantly  :grinyes: keep posting pictures :picture:

RusTy/SE :working:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007 - 02:52:35 PM »
Good luck with your car. It's good you have a helper too.  :thumbsup: I've seen far worse tackled, so I think your's is in good shape. Do you plan on keeping the Chebby hood scoop?   :scared:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007 - 03:10:10 PM »
Yep, hoods gotta go.   :roflsmiley:

You'll have a blast doing it with your son.   :grinyes:

Good luck!   :cheers:

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007 - 03:35:21 PM »
Have fun with your car, and make sure you keep your son involved so that he will respect all of the hard work and time spent with you.   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

nivvy

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007 - 03:48:36 PM »
dont throw that piece of crap hood out...use it for metal replacement..

Chevy hoods DO NOT belong on a mopar!

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007 - 07:22:05 PM »
The hood is gone, other than some of the sheet metal i cut out to use for my other patching jobs.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007 - 08:39:38 PM »
Well let me try this again. It has been a while since i last posted showing my progress. probably because i haven't had time and i have not made much progress. Now that harvest is out of the way( yeah, i am a farmer) i hope to have a little more time this winter to do some more. I have it pretty much stripped down, and i am in the process of replacing some sheet metal. I decided to hold foe awhile to media blast, because once i do that then i thought i would have to jump right in and get some primer and paint on to keep any rust developing. It gets wet and humid around here, and i don't have a heated shop. I am replacing the entire rear passeneger quarter, dutchman panel, one of the trunk extensions, and a couple lower patches on the left rear quarter. Trunk gutters and lots of square inches of roof rust. I have the old panel and dutchman cut out, but have some metal around the edges to get off yet.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007 - 08:52:23 PM »
Finding spot welds and drilling them has probably been the toughest yet. I cut the metal down close, then wire brushed deep until the spot welds started to show. Still hard to find all of them. My Eastwood spot weld cutter lasted for about 10 welds then went tits up. Now i am using a small drill bit to locate and mark and then a larger one to take off most of the weld.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007 - 10:28:54 PM »
Boy I remember cutting spot welds out of my Challenger all to well. Looks like you are making some progress and now that harvest is over you should be able to see some real progress.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007 - 11:14:07 PM »
Nice progress so far, Challengercrazy!!! :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007 - 06:15:20 PM »
It is slower than what i expected, but this is my first project, and i want to do it the best i can. I did finish up today getting the rest of the rear quqrter panel removed off of the bottom, door jamb, and rear roof pillar. Lots of work with my little cut off saw and drill, but they finally came loose. As soon as i get my trunk extensiuon and gutter, then i will start fitting things up.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007 - 10:02:55 PM »
It has been a long time since i updated my progress. I have the driversside floor in now, just waiting untill have i media blast before i seam seal. I coated everything underneath and crevasses with por 15, while i had the floor peice out. And used a little weld-tru primer around the edges.