Author Topic: Long term project Engine Build 440  (Read 60436 times)

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
Re: Long term project
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2009 - 09:56:02 AM »
Good job on the leading.

I've heard no one really does that anymore w/the advent of products like Duraglass.  Plus, the lead products have changed over the years.

Careful sanding that stuff; don't want that in your lungs and be sure to bag your clothing and wash it right away; don't want to bring that dust home to your family.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2009 - 12:37:17 AM »
 :eek4:I hear you on the lead dust. I darn near stripped down to the scivies in the garage, cause i was afraid of haing some on me. I have only used the files, so most of the particles are fairly large, but one of these days i am going to have to finish getting things smoothed down.  Well i will be doing the other side hopefully this weekend.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2009 - 09:02:03 PM »
Thought i would post a few pics of what i did this past weekend. I shot the underside of my car and trunk with the Raptor brand bedliner. I must say that i am very impressed with this stuff. I went with the black in case i decide to do a repaint in the future. I had the car on the rotisserie so it was real easy to spray and get it in to areas that may be suspect to rust. These shots are terrible but should give ya an idea anyhow.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2009 - 09:07:38 PM »
Well, my next project is to work on the suspension and rear axle, so i can get this pig back on the ground. I am going to strip down the front suspension completely, sand blast, and either have some of the peices powdercoated or use Eastwoods ceramic frame and suspension paint. Rear axle will sandblast and paint.  :bricks1:Probably take me most of the summer to get this much done. :eek4:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2009 - 11:40:18 PM »
Time really flies. I have accomplished some of my goals for the summer, namely restoring the front and rear suspensions, rear axle, brake parts, etc. I had to replace quite a few items, but at least the rolling part of the car is almost complete and road worthy for when the rest of the car gets finished. The rotisserie takes up so much of the garage, thatsa why i having been working on getting it back on its wheels.
Items i have replaced are, upper control arms (with Tubulars), all bushings and pivoting pin, .96 torsion bars, sway bar bushings and control links, ball joints (all) and new bearings and seals for the axles.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2009 - 11:48:53 PM »
I painted the K member and the rear axle housing with Eastwoods Ceramic chassis paint. I must say that i will never use this stuff again!!! It paints real nice, but it chips so easy and when it does a large flake will chip off. :swear:
All the other parts i used mainly the underhood black paint (in a can) and it went on real nice and seems to be tougher than Eastwoods stuff. I went with a slightly darker than cast for most of the spindle and brake caliper parts. Lower a arm i used eastwoods spray can kit for chassis parts( i liked it).
I had a quart of Rust bullit, so i decided to apply it to my rear housing and differential housing before i paint them. That stuff is susposed to be indestructible. We will see. All my little brake parts i cleaned up in the blast cabinent and painted.
I was able to put everything in the blast cabinent except rear housing and leaf springs. I was even able to get my k member inside it. :bigsmile:
I will get some pictures posted as soon as i get them downloaded.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2009 - 12:07:03 AM »
A few pics.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2009 - 12:08:23 AM »
Give me a week and i will have evrything on and baby sitting on her wheels :bananasmi

Offline jrwoodjoe

« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2009 - 10:13:50 PM »
Your project is looking great. I went with Raptor Liner on the bottom of my Challenger also and really liked the way it turned out. Can't wait to see more pics...keep them coming.  :2thumbs:

65 Barracuda
70 Challenger

Offline farmertan

« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2009 - 09:55:58 AM »
Nice work so far. And the more cars I see with liner the more I like it.
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2009 - 09:00:37 PM »
Since my last post i have completed the suspension assembly, front and back, new brakes, new drums on the rear, and had the front discs turned. I can't believe that after all these years the front discs still had enough meat left to them to turn them one more time. That saved me some change :money:
I hand sanded my wheels down and painte them up. And after 1 1/2 years, she is finally sitting on her wheels again. :woo:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2009 - 09:06:36 PM »
Now on to my next little project. Rear deck lid!!! After a 1/2 gallon of paint stripper i finally got the top down to metal. It still has a bit to go, but i will finish with sanding. The underside will not be as easy, i have some rust issues there but nothing that i can't handle. I think i took off at least 4 layers of paint on the top and a thin layer of i think bondo. it was sure thick. I hope my doors and front fenders aren't similar. At almost $40 a gallon for stripper, its going to get pricey. :eek4:

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2009 - 10:02:20 AM »
I'd get a new decklid.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2009 - 10:09:06 AM »
 :iagree: With where it is rusted it would make it real hard to repair.   :2cents:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2009 - 08:48:19 PM »
I have definently considered a new lid. What is the difference in the two prices i see at different suppliers? I see some for around $250, and others for $around $500.