Author Topic: Long term project Engine Build 440  (Read 60409 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007 - 10:15:43 PM »
I had to replace the trunk extension. Too much rust around the bottom edge after i removed the quarter. Some rust that follows the flat area on the backside of the inner wheel well also. Rather than replace the inside wheel well, i opted to cut the rust out and patch. it only took about a 6" strip. i still need to smooth down the welds and blend them in, but my air compresssor is down. i coated everything with por 15 back behind the fender other than any area i will need to weld too. i found that it doesn't weld real well, through por 15.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007 - 11:22:42 PM »
One bit of advice.
Don't forget to cut the drain plug hole at the base of the drop extention BEFORE you install the quarter. It is a pain afterwords.
Don't ask me how I know. :bricks1:
Dave

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007 - 11:29:27 PM »
thanks for the reminder Dave. i will have to do that tommorrow, before i start hanging things on.

Offline A110235

• '71 Challenger JH23G1B
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007 - 09:03:15 PM »
Way to go Challengercrazy!  Looks like your about ready to rock'n roll with that rear quarter.  Keep up the good work.

Kyle

Nashville, TN         Member since October 09, 2004

Offline thelittles

• Lifes Good
    • Dan's Restorations & Family
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007 - 09:06:28 PM »
Can't wait to see more.  You are doing a great job. 

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007 - 11:56:35 PM »
It took me long enough, but i finally have the dutchman welded in, right trunk gutter and the full quarter panel. Getting things lined up and adjusted took most of the time. I only had to make a couple modifications and trimmed the lips of the dutchman panel in the corners. I was impressed with how well everything went together. I wasn't sure how much of a gap between trunk lid and fenders, so i made sure every was square and equal on the sides and in the front against the dutch panel. What do you use to fill the seam between the dutchman panel and quarter? Lead or Bondo? These pics were taken late and are hard to see, so i will try and take some more in the next couple days, during the day. It sure feels good to finally finish one part of a project and start to see things coming together.  :crazy:

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007 - 01:01:25 AM »
Looks very good keep the pics coming. :thumbsup:
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007 - 07:41:13 AM »
Keep up the good work, your doing as great job. On the seam, after you have it in primer tape each side of the seam and run a thin bead of a good seam sealer. Push it in with your finger and then pull the tape. This will leave a nice clean line.
Dave

Offline 70shaker6pk

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007 - 09:07:24 AM »
Looking GREAT!!!
'JS23V0B'  1970 Challenger R/T N96 440 Six Pack

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007 - 04:51:47 PM »
Well i better update some of my progress. Rear quarter is welded in, trunk guuter welded in, trunk extension welded in, dutchman panel welded in, some trunk patching done, and driver side floor pan welded in. Started patching on some areas of the roof. I debated about buying a donor roof for 5 monthes, now that i am patching, that $1000. does not sound too bad. Oh well, too late now. Patching hasn't been too tough yet, other than trying to make bends, curves, and peices to match up, using a few garage tools. It hasn't brought me to tears yet. I guess knowing that i am going to put a vinyl top back on, has helped me overlook some of my screw ups. However, i still want to to do it the right way, so i don't have something haunting me later on, when i try to resell it. Right now i have these patches welded in, later when it warms up some and after media blast, i will finish off the areas with a little lead work and filler.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007 - 04:57:21 PM »
I tried putting on some welding cool gel surrounding the patch , to see if it would help conatain the heat and minimze any warping. It worked great, but next time i will also put it on the peice i am welding in as well as the surrounding outer peice.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007 - 05:01:48 PM »
Now for progress on the right side. This is going to be tougher, becuase i have to make peices that will fit along the drip rail. My little harbor freight bender is going to get a work out now.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007 - 05:09:30 PM »
I laid a peice of 18 gauge inside and under part of the good metal of the roof, so that i had something to lay the thinner 20 gauge down and help to form the correct curve to the roof. I then built the angle peice to lay in the drip rail, which i welded to the patch first. I bet it took me at least a hundred trys and fitting before i finally started laying my first spot welds. That weld -cool gel as the only way to go. It cleans up fairly easy afterwards as well.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007 - 05:47:09 PM »
That's a tough area to work and your doing a real good job on it! Keep at it.
Dave

Offline Travis72

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007 - 07:21:01 PM »
Yeah that's impressive, keep up the great work.  What a pain in the butt that has to be trying to make those compound bends!  I feel for you!

Travis
72 Cuda