Author Topic: Long term project Engine Build 440  (Read 60424 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project (2.5 years and close to ready for paint)
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2009 - 01:19:00 PM »
I finally built up courage to paint. Painted the rest of the interior, engine bay and cowl, and door jambs. I used PPG Concept Acrylic Urethane single stage. It painted fairly well, but whoever said painting was easy would probably get an arguement from me.  :bigsmile: Painting the bottom of the roof and up under the dash area was not easy, as well as getting down under the radiator support. At least most of thesae areas will be hidden. Anyhow, it has me anxious to paint the rest of the car this winter sometime. I will be mounting the doors and fenders next, so that i can paint everything on the car, so as to avoid the fitting and finishing alighnemnt scratches, and thus avoid a lot of bad language. Heres a a couple pics. :wave:

wagesofsin

« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2009 - 02:27:59 PM »
i think it looks friggin awesome!!!!!!

:2thumbs: :wow:

Offline Travis72

« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2009 - 09:25:28 PM »
Looks great so far!

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2009 - 05:52:02 PM »
I have done a little since the end of Nov. With the kids in basketball, Christmas and the New Year holiday season, it has been a bit difficult to get some things done. I have spent a lot of money this month (on me)  :bigsmile:   Bought a new R/T hood, Deck lid, rear valence from Dave at Roseville. Swell guy and great help. Then i spent anothe $900 for paint and supplies.  :faint: It doesn't get any better than this.
I set up a paint booth in one side of my garage. Painted the inside of my doors, hinges, and the lip area of my front fenders, so i could get all this installed in preparation forr the final body prime/paint. I am waiting for new hood hinges and then i will paint the hinges and the underside of my hood before i install them.
Sounds like alot, but it hasn't been too bad. I have been struggling getting the doors and fenders lined up. Need to wait for the hood hinges, then i will do a final alignment before i start prepping and painting.  :pullinghair:

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2009 - 06:11:37 PM »
That green is looking great..........I noticed the wheel dollies.......I have a set too and they look like those.  Sure makes for twirling the car easy..... :2thumbs:
Dave or David

wagesofsin

« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2009 - 09:24:07 PM »
That green is looking great..........I noticed the wheel dollies.......I have a set too and they look like those.  Sure makes for twirling the car easy..... :2thumbs:

i make sure we have a set for every car we do.
cant even imagine not having them.

and that car is looking prettier every post!!

way to go!!

:2thumbs:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2009 - 12:32:05 PM »
i make sure we have a set for every car we do.
cant even imagine not having them.

and that car is looking prettier every post!!

way to go!!

:2thumbs:
Thanks. It will really help when i want to turn the car sideways across my garage, when it comes time to paint.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2010 - 10:14:32 AM »
Very nice progress!!! :cheers:  That thing looks awesome in green!!! :drool:  Keep up the great work! :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2010 - 12:32:32 PM »
Very cool! Good job! :clapping: :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project ( Painting )
« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2010 - 09:11:56 PM »
I have been doing some painting, finally. I spent some time with my brother in law over in idaho, and had him teach me a little. Didn't help i still managed to screw up. I did not have my paint gun set up properly and ended up with bad orange peel in the base and a lot of runs in the clear. I have a new Sharpe HVLP gun and when it says to use 29 psi at the gun inlet to get 10 psi at the cap, that is exactly or close too what is needed. Me in my infinite wisdom thought i could go with lower pressure(15), and so i get to pay for my mistakes. But i had a lot of fun. I think i actually like to paint. I love to see the clear going on, it is amazing how shiny it is. :bigsmile: So here is a shot of my first attempt. I decided i could never be happy with my first attempt. Looked awful (too me) :walkaway: So i wet sanded with 800 and got it back looking smooth and repainted.  :eek4:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project ( painting)
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2010 - 09:22:17 PM »
I did not redo the top, because it didn't look too bad and besides i am putting a vinyl top on her next month. Besides this paint is awfully expensive and i can't be getting too crazy with it. So i reshot with a little help from a painter friend, and after he set the gun up better for me and i practiced a bit, we went for it.  :wow: HOLY CRAP did that make all the difference. I love it.  :bananasmi I painted the doors while i had them down also. Them dang things took a lot of primer. I think i shot them 6 or 7 times and sanded untill Darin said they werre good. its always good to have someone with experience to point things out. I did all this a couple weeks ago. I got the doors on and somewhat lined up. I am working on the front fenders now and hope to have them painted in a week or two.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2010 - 09:41:43 PM »
Looks Good Enough To Eat  :droolingbounce:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2010 - 09:55:42 PM »
That looks amazing!  :wow:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2010 - 10:06:22 PM »
That's looking good.  :2thumbs:
I can't wait till I smell paint on mine.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2010 - 10:27:53 PM »
The smell of paint is a wonderful thing.  :bigsmile: However my wife would strongly disagree.  :swear: I had the entire garage covered with plastic walls, taped to the floor and stappled to the ceiling. Exhausting fans sucking outside and yet it seems to find its way into the house. Oh well, a night out to dinner and a movie always seems to make up for a bit of  smell in the house.