Author Topic: Long term project Engine Build 440  (Read 60406 times)

Offline TROUBLE987

Re: Long term project ( Glass )
« Reply #195 on: May 29, 2010 - 02:21:28 AM »
hey i thought the vinyl top cars had a piece that made the back window look smaller :clueless:

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2010 - 06:48:24 AM »
hey i thought the vinyl top cars had a piece that made the back window look smaller :clueless:

You're thinking of S.E. models.

crazy, do you happen to have pics of the rear vinyl trim clips?
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2010 - 10:16:38 AM »
You're thinking of S.E. models.

crazy, do you happen to have pics of the rear vinyl trim clips?
I am sorry i didn't take any as i was throwing that part together.  :banghead:   I have some saved pics from somone elses project i could post, i don't think they would mind.  I had to drill holes and use the 70-71 style. A little bolt with a funky looking wire on the top. I must have laid my trim across the car a million times and made at least a half million marks before i started drilling.  It wasn't too difficult at all.   :cheers:

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #198 on: May 29, 2010 - 12:51:05 PM »
 :clapping: How awesome!! Super Job  :2thumbs:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project (Sept 9,2010)
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2010 - 11:43:31 PM »
I have been a real slacker this summer. But now that kids are back in school and it is getting to cold to boat, maybe i can get something done on the car. I still have potato harvest to get through and then i have all winter to work on the car again.
I did finish all the glass, other than i still need to buy a new glass roller kit for one of the doors, and the front windshield trim needs a bit more work on. I have all the stuff i need to cut and polish the paint, but i am still building up my nerve, so it will probably  be down the road a ways.
 I got ahead of myself and bought an engine. I just could not pass it up. A 1971 440 with a steel crank, for $500.(Hope the price is okay) Block has never been touched, so hopefully it has some potential. It will be slow process redoing the engine, i will have to have most of the work done. Have not decided how i will build it. It will probably be just a warmed up 440, nothing special.
I am still working on the trunk lid, and will probably have to cut out the new lock pillar i installed and re-weld it in. i didnt quite get it where it needs to be.  :banghead:  I should write a book about all the mistakes i have made, it would be rather large.  By the time i get this car done i think i will have it figured out for the next one (if there ever is).

Offline jrwoodjoe

Re: Long term project ( Sept 9, 2010)
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2010 - 10:50:50 AM »
 :wow: What a beautiful car. You did a great job on the trim. I have never a "serious" trim refinish job. Just general clean and polish. The trim on my car is not bad but has a couple of small dings. Seeing your post is really encouraging and I thinking hard about buying a polishing wheel and doing it myself over the winter. 

Joe

65 Barracuda
70 Challenger

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project ( Sept 9, 2010)
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2011 - 12:42:36 AM »
My how time flies. I realize i havent posted since last september, but i have gotten some stuff done. Just too darn lazy to tell anyone about it, so i am repenting and going to do better at posting my progress.    :-[   i am a bit embarrased about this, but hope to make up for my laziness.  This is what i have been up to lately;  wet sanded car with 1500, and then 2000. Buffed it out using the 3M products. It scared the heck out of me to do it, but i did not have a burn through or anything like that. I will have to go back and do some more, as i shied away from edges and now it looks kind of funny having orange peel along most of the edges. But i must have had plenty of clear on it cause i had to work it down a ways because of the orange peel.  It looks a million times better now. I will get some pictures posted soon.  I welded in the bumper slot areas on my rear valence, and so had to repaint it, and so i painted the fron valence at the same time. Just need to get them hung back on the car.
Things i have bought and are being installed :  headliner, sail panels, carpet, sill plates, carpet underlay, rear tray and insulation , new speakers, front and rear door panels(legendary),  heater box rebuild kit (my next project) new Dash pad, New mirrors, wheel well trim, hood scoops, window roller kits, a-pillar trim, seat covers and bunch of other little misc. items.  I have spent a wad of money, but now i have enough stuff to basically finish the interior over the next month or so.  I bought a roll of window tint and am currently installing on my windows now. Door windows are done, still need to do the side windows and the rear window. I think i will remove my rear window so i can do a better job. But i wanted to get that done before i started to install the interior items. Tried to get a local tinting shop to come to my house and do it, but they put me off and put me off, so i guess they didnt want any business. I promise to get a few pictures soon.  Heading out of town for a day or two and will update with pics when i get back.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project (April 17, 2011)
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2011 - 06:24:30 PM »
I apologize that  i havent had time to roll this thing outside to get some descent pictures. But i am trying to finish up some things before i do that. Here are a couple of wet sanding before i buffed it out. For the most part it looks okay, but i will need to do it some more in certain areas. I avoided getting to close to the lines and edges and they stand out as a little rough (orange peely). So i need to clean up the edges a bit more. i have some chips to repair and a scratch, so i will probably wait untill i am complete on the outside and then i will detail it again.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2011 - 06:26:56 PM »
forgot the pictures      :roflsmiley:   I have become an old man with this project.   :22yikes:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2011 - 06:29:43 PM »
I am also working on the front and rear valence. Just need to get them installed. I am waiting on the rear untill i get 2 things done there first. One, is getting the trunk lid to sit and close properly and 2, is to balckout the rear panel.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2011 - 06:35:45 PM »
I have also been working on tinting the glass. i wanted to do that before i installed all the interior. Wasnt too hard. I have a buddy that owns a car window tinting shop, he helped me out with materials and how to do ideas.  I also have installed my new mirrors on both sides, as well as wheel well trim and the hood scoops. Sorry for the fuzzy looking pictures, not sure why they took that way. And finally i have 4 boxes of goodies i have yet to install. Should keep me busy for awhile.     :bigsmile:

Offline 70shaker6pk

« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2011 - 08:57:02 AM »
Looking very NICE!!
'JS23V0B'  1970 Challenger R/T N96 440 Six Pack

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2011 - 09:37:20 AM »
Wow! You have done quite a bit since last update! Looking really sharp!  :2thumbs:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2011 - 03:26:01 PM »
lookin good !!! love the color!!!
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline usraptr

« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2011 - 04:21:57 PM »
Looks great!  I'm jealous of your progress!   :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.