Author Topic: Long term project Engine Build 440  (Read 60403 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project (April 17, 2011)
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2011 - 09:41:10 AM »
I had all winter, but i got lazy and did nothing. now it is a marathon to see what i can get done over the next month or two. My goal is to finish the interior by mid summer, and then start on the engine and powertrain this fall. Hopefully a year from now it will be complete. That is my 5 year mark, and this thing needs to be done!!    :faint:

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
Re: Long term project (April 17, 2011)
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2011 - 09:32:02 PM »
great job !! i understand you completely.
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project (May 7 2011)
« Reply #212 on: May 07, 2011 - 01:55:57 PM »
Updates   :chatting:    Well here is my take on the interior parts.  I bought front and rear panels from legendary. A-pillar covers from Roseville(Palco).   The door panels could not have fit more perfect.  very easy to put on and only required a little bit of plastic trimming behind the panel by the arm rest.  The rear panels fit okay, but the holes for the window handles were way off. Not sure how i am going to remedy that yet. i did cut a bit away to get them on, but now the crank handle trim rings do not cover the hole .  The A pillar covers from roseville are garbage!  They are the Palco brand and they do not fit well at the bottom or the top, and the screw holes do not line up either. I think i will be trying to re-furbish my old ones.  lets see what else   :clueless:   the headliner wasnt too bad to install, but if i could do it again, i would install it before i put in my front and rear glass. 
Have the rear tray in, used Jensen Excellion speakers.  I went with the jute padding insulation on the underside of the tray and also behind the panel between trunk and rear seat. I used hushmat on the roof before i put in the headliner and i also put hushmat on the back side of the rear panels. I am going to put down dynamat on the floor and behind the door panels when it comes.  I am still having issues with the trunk lid and hinges, so i am putting that off untill i really feel inspired. Still thinking about painting the rear panel black to match the tailights, but i kind of like the green in the middle, so not sure what i will do their yet. Anyhow, here is a few pictures of what i have done. have more but only will post a few. 

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project Interior issues
« Reply #213 on: May 07, 2011 - 02:12:49 PM »
Legendary front door panel with arm rest included, it is not the premium door panel, but it fit dang fine and was easy to mount. they did a good  job producing it.  Not sure what i am missing here with the door lock, i have the chrome locking lever, but not sure what else fills in this area. It sure is open   :clueless:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project Interior
« Reply #214 on: May 07, 2011 - 02:17:36 PM »
Heres a look at the rear panels. again they fit good, but the window crank holes did not line up     :pullinghair:   few wrinkles to get out of the headliner still.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #215 on: May 07, 2011 - 02:23:54 PM »
Headliner was fairly easy to install, just get used to having your arms above your head for awhile, and wear knee pads, which i didnt  (that hurt)   :'(        Headliner is a bit dirty, black definently a bit harder to keep clean. Still have a few wrinkles to work out. Waiting for a little heat and then i will stretch them aagin.  I am working on restoring my old A-pillar covers, as you can see these new ones are garbage. 

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project
« Reply #216 on: May 07, 2011 - 02:26:59 PM »
One last picture and i could use alittle input, what you guys think.  Should i leave the rear panel with the green in-between or should i black it out, same color as the taillights?

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #217 on: May 07, 2011 - 06:21:55 PM »
Black.  Kind of stupid looking stripe to have back there.

I would black out the whole front grille.  Looks good on '72-74s IMHO.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2011 - 07:41:41 AM »
Black.  Kind of stupid looking stripe to have back there.

I would black out the whole front grille.  Looks good on '72-74s IMHO.

:iagree:  X2
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2011 - 12:30:30 PM »
Blackout...

rear...yes

front...no

Let me know what you use on your A-pillars.  Mine look OK right now but if you take your fingure nail to them, the grain comes off.  It would be nice to be able to clean and respray them without damaging the grain any further.

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2011 - 07:34:54 PM »
Technically, if your car is a 72, the tail panel should be black, with argent light pods, and vice-versa if it's a 73.

....but it's your car, so do what YOU like.  :2thumbs:
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline bandt

« Reply #221 on: May 09, 2011 - 07:50:03 PM »
Black out would be better IMHO. Here's a shot of mine. Satin black, textured argent light buckets.
Here's a pic.

Brian
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011 - 07:55:13 PM by bandt »

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #222 on: May 10, 2011 - 12:34:13 AM »
Blackout...

rear...yes

front...no

Let me know what you use on your A-pillars.  Mine look OK right now but if you take your fingure nail to them, the grain comes off.  It would be nice to be able to clean and respray them without damaging the grain any further.
Blackout it is.   I think i am going to try and find a replacement pillar molding for the driver side. Mine are not in very good shape. i have painted them but they are just to chalky and grainy and it keep rubbing off.  The passenger side Palco looks and fits ok, but the driver side looked terrible.  I am not sure if their are any other companies out there that make better quality or not.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2011 - 01:52:25 PM »
I just got done painting one of my A-pillar trim pieces and it turned out awsome.  I used SEM Adesion Promoter after cleaning the piece very well.  Then I misted two coats of SEM Landau Black over the Adhesion Promoter.  The A-pillar looks brand new.  I had a few scratches in it but you can't see them any more.  The Landau Black is an almost perfect match to the origonal gloss of the plastic.

I just wanted to let you know incase you decide to redo your origonals or get a used replacement. 

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #224 on: May 14, 2011 - 04:07:36 PM »
I just got done painting one of my A-pillar trim pieces and it turned out awsome.  I used SEM Adesion Promoter after cleaning the piece very well.  Then I misted two coats of SEM Landau Black over the Adhesion Promoter.  The A-pillar looks brand new.  I had a few scratches in it but you can't see them any more.  The Landau Black is an almost perfect match to the origonal gloss of the plastic.

I just wanted to let you know incase you decide to redo your origonals or get a used replacement.
I tried to do the same with my a-pilars, but they were decomposed too much, and was missing material along the windshield side. I re-installed the new ones, but i used a heat gun to warm them up and bend them a bit to get a better fit. They look better, but not like they should. I am going to look for some good originals that i can re-stain.   I just finished restaining by sunvisors with the sem landau black. They look brand new.    :2thumbs: