Author Topic: Long term project Engine Build 440  (Read 60405 times)

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
Re: Long term project Interior
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2011 - 03:10:25 PM »
Here's a pic of blackout grille.

Not too shabby IMHO.

'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2011 - 03:58:09 PM »
That grill black out works for me.   :2thumbs:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #227 on: December 02, 2011 - 12:35:59 AM »
Hey Neighbor! Do you have your car on the road yet?  :popcorn:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2011 - 09:28:03 PM »
Hey Neighbor! Do you have your car on the road yet?  :popcorn:
Mike, I been really bad this year!  I do have the interior done, just been really lazy about documenting and posting. My apologies to you and all the members. My 5 year anniversary is May 25th 2012. My goal is to have it running and on the road by then. February and March will be my engine building months. Got a 1971  440 in storage, that will be rebuilt. I know nothing about rebuilding engines, so i will have to have it done. Thats why progress is a bit slow now while i collect the monies to do it.   :wave:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project ENGINE Build
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2012 - 08:02:11 PM »
So my engine is being built now. The builder has a couple still ahead of it, but he is getting close to a start. I need to start rounding up some parts.
Heres your chance to help me with suggestions. I have a very limited knowledge of engines. The engine is being built to the specs of a 440 magnum. I have researched some here, but still have a number of questions.
Parts, i know that i will need for sure;

Big block RB Bellhousing( my other engine  was a small block)
Big block motor mounts
Flywheel, i think i need a 130 tooth for this, but i am not sure on the internal or external reference.  Help on this?
Oil pan and a windage tray
Starter
water pump and pump housing
Distributor and electronic ignition
Intake manifold-  I have decided on the Edelbrock Rpm Performer
Carburetor - Brand and size , not sure
I am sure there are other things i am missing, but this will get me started.
Any suggestions and places to buy, would be greatly appreciated. i am currently looking at buying most stuff from summits.

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
Re: Long term project Engine Build 440
« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2012 - 09:11:26 PM »
Somebody please help him out I want to see it on the road!  Nice looking car!

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2013 - 12:51:39 AM »
My, my has time flown. I do have a few things to report. I have my engine, and i have it installed in the car now. As soon as i figure out how to use my new home computer (Mac) i will get some pictures posted up.
But i have a tale to tell about my engine.
So i dropped it off at the builders January of 2012, for the next 10 months i was snowed with excuse after excuse why it wasnt done. I even sent money for some additional work over and above a standard overhaul. I learned a lot about patience. I finally called the first week of Dec 2012. This is where the story gets interesting. He was waiting for me to call at that point. He had lost all his customer information in his shop fire.
Yes his shop burned down over thanksgiving. He lost everything, $200,000 for just his building, and around $280,000 in his equipment(so he says), as well as 20 plus engines of various customers. Including a couple numbers matching motors. The only 2 engines that survived were Mopars, my 440 and another customers 383. As would luck have it, he finished the tooling work on mine and put it in a crate and moved it out of his shop over to another building, closed up shop, jumped in his car with his family and headed out of town for the holidays. The next day he got a call from a neighbor saying his shop was on fire. Yeah it burned to the ground. It was a beautiful facility, something only dreams can imagine. So he was being held up by his insurance company, couldn't do anything. He figured he was going to get strung out for months. He assembled my engine in his house, and i went and got it in February this year. I felt bad for him, however this is not the whole story......
I will be very careful with names and places as not to create issues in case someone knows this guy. He is renown hotrod builder that came out of a west coast state about 10 years ago or so, WHEN HIS SHOP BURNED DOWN! This was shop number one, He bought a place in a neighboring state, with a little rundown garage on it. He built engines out of it for a year or so, and it mysteriously BURNED DOWN! This was shop number 2. He got another settlement and then built himself another shop, which was his most recent. It was a thing of beauty, had everything you could imagine.  Anyhow this is the shop that burnt down this past year, SHOP NUMBER 3. Now you can see why he is having such a problem with settling with his insurance company. Three burn-downs in a fairly short period of time, would definitely raise some questions by insurance investigators.
Not sure what has happened since i last talked to him, heck of a nice guy, i hope things work out for him. But if this last fire really was an accident, all i can say is it looks DANG SUSPICIOUS.
I have my engine and now i really not sure what i have. Only time will tell when i finally get this thing going.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #232 on: June 29, 2013 - 11:35:48 AM »
Sorry for the lack of posting and everything else. The engine is in.

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #233 on: June 29, 2013 - 12:38:26 PM »
sweet!!!!!!!!
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #234 on: June 30, 2013 - 12:53:52 PM »
progress....  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2013 - 07:11:51 PM »
The whole package is a good looking set up,  :iagree: sweet progress :jumping:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2013 - 09:49:17 PM »
Thanks guys. Believe it or not, i am having a heck of a time deciding what to do next. So many choices for everything i have to purchase. What you see in the picture is, is basically what i have.