Author Topic: Long term project Engine Build 440  (Read 60411 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008 - 03:52:11 PM »
Well i patched, and patched on the driver side, and finally made it to the front of the car. I am not at all happy with what i have. Dang it is hard. :banghead: So i discovered, with the help from some members, that AMD is now selling roof skins. I was going to wait around for some one else to try it first, but after :pullinghair: a bit more, i decided i was going to have to be that guinea pig. Besides, i am the type of person that knowing what a crappy patching job was hidden under the vinyl top, that i would never be able to fell good about my car. So instead of worrying about how it will fit, i am  :droolingbounce: for the next 5-6 days while i wait for it to come. And then i will  :working: after it again.

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008 - 04:31:16 PM »
Who did you get your trunk extensions from?Did they fit good? Thanks Chuck
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008 - 06:04:00 PM »
Who did you get your trunk extensions from?Did they fit good? Thanks Chuck
I ordered the trunk extension through Paddock parts. They were the least expensive and had the least amount of freight charges. It fit really well.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008 - 10:46:55 PM »
Can you post pics when you romove the turret skin please.  Yours will be the first with a turret transplant.  I want to see  :22yikes:

Go for it buddy. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008 - 04:23:43 PM »
Can you post pics when you romove the turret skin please.  Yours will be the first with a turret transplant.  I want to see  :22yikes:

Go for it buddy. :2thumbs:
You got it. :picture:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008 - 08:41:42 PM »
 :droolingbounce: The skin has arrived. I placed it on top of the car to check for any significant issues, and could not find anything wrong. It will be a couple weeks before i get time to remove the old skin and then i can check the fit a little closer. I think it will fit just fine. Metal quality is similar to all reproduction peices that i have previously bought ( quarters). here are a couple pics. Really can't see anything other than it does exist, which i can hardly believe myself. Anyhow i am psyched to get after it. I will keep you all posted on progress once it starts.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008 - 08:44:09 PM »
 :2thumbs:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008 - 09:15:55 PM »
 :wow: That is one smooooooooooooooth looking skin. :cooldancing:

I do not think it will be any harder than doing a replacement quarter panel, IMO. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline challenger470

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008 - 09:31:35 PM »
looks like a good project

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008 - 09:59:58 PM »
Roof panels are easy to do with new parts. Are you going the weld it or glue it?
Dave

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2008 - 10:12:48 AM »
I agree, i think this is going to be a blast putting it on. I am going to weld, and then lead the seams with my trusty little Eastwood lead kit i bought. I know once i get the old skin off, i will have to take care of some rust in the frames down the side( below the drip rails) But it will be so much easier then. :woohoo:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2008 - 10:30:40 PM »
 :banghead: Work, work , work. I swear, just when i think i am getting something accomplished, something else comes up. I got the old roof skin off, but half of my drip rail came with it.  :pullinghair: So now, i get to fabricate new drip rail before i can put my new roof on. I am almost 100% positive that i have never come across any drip rail being produced. Anybody got some good ideas on building drip rail? :1zhelp:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2008 - 10:40:20 AM »
Have most of my drip rails repaired. Wasn.t as hard as i thought it was going to be. Most of the repairs will be hidden anyway. Laid new roof on to check for fit. I am a bit perplexed at how i am going to make it fit better down the sides. It does not have enough lip material to lay flat and weld in the drip rail.  :dunno: The front and back fit great.  I may have to weld the edges, instead of doing spot welds. Can that adhesive work in conjunction with welding? If i laid a bead of adhesive under the skin, further in and up, a inch or so from where i will be welding?  :clueless:

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2008 - 10:49:17 AM »
remember that the drip rail gets a bead of caulk that will most likely hide whatever you choose to do. i would weld the entire lip personally
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2008 - 12:30:12 PM »
 :iagree:  I would do an edge weld at every old spot weld and use the sealer to cover them up and presto your done.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!