Author Topic: Long term project Engine Build 440  (Read 60434 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2008 - 12:57:35 AM »
 :dunno:Not sure what kind of excuses i can come up with, as to why i haven't been working on the car. Other than to say, the farm has kept me really busy. I transported my car out to the farm, and have been prepping it to put on my homemade rotisserie. I got it mounted up today and have the sand blaster and compressor line up to blast it tommorrow. We have a big compressor at the farm, so i just had to rent a sand pot from a local rental store. I purchased a number of different products to use. Going to try some walnut shell, glass bead and some copper slag for the real tough areas. I will be sure to post some pics in the next day or two as i finish up sandbalsting.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2008 - 07:46:21 AM »
 :wow: that looks cool, great stuff :clapping:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2008 - 11:59:36 PM »
 :pullinghair:Well it is done. It was a dang dirty job. It was 90 degrees and i darn near went down with heat stroke. Must of drank 2 gallons of water. And i accidently lost control of the wand and blasted trough my tyvek suit and pants , and left a dang nice wound on my leg. It took me 5 steady hours, and 800 lbs od media. I did not like the walnut shell, but it was gentle on the metal. Glass bead was nice, i wish i had had more of it.  copper slag took stuff off fast and easy, however it roughed the metal some. Nothing that high build primer can't fix. I did not do any outside panels, too chicken and afraid of warpage. I did the entire inside, trunk, engine compartment and underneath the car. It took the rubber coating right off, so no scraping for me. Overall it went well, but i would never do it agin!!! Let some one else do it. I di find that i will have replace part of my trunk floor now. Lots of rust throughs. Rotisserie worked well. Just a little high though. I am going to convert it to hydraulic lift before i am ready to paint it. I will try and post pictures the first of the week, after i recover from sore eyes, sore back and heat stroke. For me it time for a couple days of R & R.  :sleeping:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2008 - 08:10:19 AM »
Rest, relax and recoupe old mate you deserve it........................ :faint:

:22yikes: Look forward to seeing what you acheived when you get the chance, Thanks :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2008 - 09:36:11 PM »
That's great you have a place to do your own blasting and can fab a rotisserie.  Awesome  :2thumbs: I'd love to have a place with the room to do that on my next project.  Sorry you got wounded in the process, but glad it didn't put you down.  Keep up the good work.  :cooldancing:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2008 - 07:05:59 PM »
I am so slow at this, that  :banghead:, but i am getting there. Here are a few pics of the finished blasting job. Not the greatest detail or anything, but does show a little bit cleaner car.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2008 - 07:11:39 PM »
After cleaning up the trunk area, i found a  few rust through holes. most are small and probably could be filled in. surrounding metal is strong. At this point i am not very excited about replacing the trunk floor. Any ideas or suggestion? Perhaps for a complete rotisserie resto i should replace the metal?

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2008 - 07:19:46 PM »
I am in the process of modifying my rotisserie stands(too tall) so that i can remount the car in my garage. My next step is to get it ready to shoot primer(in my garage). The wife doesn't know this. I still have some metal work to do. Replace the driver floor pan(2nd time), Lead in the seam area where the roof joins the quarter panels, rust spots in the trunk area(not certain on my approach there yet).
Question. Do you seam seal before shooting the primer or after the primer? I will probably using a PPG Epoxy primer or a high build primer(help hide some of my imperfections in metal work)

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2008 - 10:14:03 PM »
I would prime before doing the seam seal, this will protect it better. The trunk floor looks like a good acid cleaning will remove the remainder of the rust. Then the high build will take care of the pitting. If there is a lot of pin holes I would replace the pan.
Looks like your coming right along.
Good Luck
Dave

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2008 - 07:23:31 PM »
 :faint: Well i have it home now. I mounted it back up on the rotisserie today and dropped the suspension back off. It is so blasted hot around here, I don't have much energy to do anything with it when i get home from work. My goal is to get it at least covered in self-etching primer in the next couple weeks. I have some more sheet metal work to do, but i am getting concerned about having so much bare metal. Once i get it covered with something then i can rest easy and work on the metal. Here are a couple pics of it in my garage. not much room, but with the rotisserie i can turn it sideways across both bays of my garage. Now i just need to find a place to store my suspensions. :blah:

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2008 - 07:31:09 PM »
Looks great! be careful having all that bare metal my car has a little rust comming through the etching primer.You may want to put a dehumidifier out there.
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2008 - 10:10:26 AM »
Looks great! be careful having all that bare metal my car has a little rust comming through the etching primer.You may want to put a dehumidifier out there.
Really? I was thinking that the self etching primer was pretty indestructible once you got it down. Maybe i should use something else, after all my winters here are fairly humid. Maybe it is time to break out the Rust Bullit.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2008 - 10:25:46 AM »
Farmboy in his post many months ago, recommended using PPG DX1791 acid etch, and then topping it with PPG Dplf 50 epoxy primer. That may be the direction i need to go to hold my material from rusting untill next summer. :clueless:

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2008 - 12:00:43 PM »
That will give you real good protection while the filler work is being done. (dx1791 then DPLF-50)
Dave

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2008 - 03:52:49 PM »
Hi Dave. Thanks for checking up on me.  :bigsmile: