Author Topic: Long term project Engine Build 440  (Read 60448 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2008 - 09:10:04 PM »
That's what I had in mind doing when the time comes, but I haven't convinced the wife that it can be done. She's afraid paint will get in the house. I don't have any experience with HVLP painting. It seems to me that the paint won't atomize and create a fog. Am I right?
I had the entire garage basically wrapped in plastic with 2 box fans sucking out the garage door. I don't think it bothered anyone in the house. My wife said she could smell it a bit, but it wasn't bad. The acid etch stuff is some bad stuff, so make sure you have good ventilation with that stuff. I wore a full face respirator when i sprayed, because i wasn'r sure how my eyes would react. When  sprayed the epoxy, it wasn't tooo bad, so i traded back and forth from a half face and full face respirator. Bad stuff on the lungs, always wear a respirator. Hope it works out for ya. It really was easy, and the missus won't even know you did it.  :bigsmile:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2009 - 02:01:59 PM »
Where does the time go :clueless: I can't believe that it is Jan. I have done nothing for months now, i am a poor excuse of a member :dunno: Well i guess it is time to get after it again, i have had my share of laziness. it is hard to want to go out in that cold garage during the winter though. Weather is starting to change and it is a bit warmer now. I have my driver floor and trunk pans to do, and frame connectors, and torque boxes and then i will be finished with all the sheet metal work. Just waiting on a little refund check, so i can get my connectors and boxes purchased.
I was looking over my front frame rails, trying to decide if there was something i need to do with them. They are solid, no rust at all, however it appears that there was a little damage done by the previous owner. It tracked fine and looked real level when i bought it, measurements look good also, however the damage makes me wonder. Here are a couple pictures of the passenegr side, driver side looks normal. What do you think i should do? it looks more cosmetic than anything, butthe rail should be fairly smooth and level underneath, right?

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2009 - 02:54:57 PM »
that does look a bit scary to me...  the k-member will not fit tension-free that way. I also have my " doubts " if the welding will do what it` supposed to do on the long run... You can also see the metal ripped and some serious dents in the rail. Are you sure your measurements are correct?
*** Bart ***

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2009 - 09:12:34 PM »
that does look a bit scary to me...  the k-member will not fit tension-free that way. I also have my " doubts " if the welding will do what it` supposed to do on the long run... You can also see the metal ripped and some serious dents in the rail. Are you sure your measurements are correct?
Everything measured real close, before i stripped it down. I have even measured it out from different angles and spots on the car. The bottom is boogered up, but i can't find much more. Do they make these frame rails? or do i need to look for a salvaged one?

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2009 - 11:04:21 PM »
It has been a long time since i updated. A lot of time has gone by. I had my foot surgery and feel pretty good now, although i have been tied up some helping my parents, Dad had a minor heart attack and my mother had part of a lung removed due to cancer. Some bad stuff. But they both seem to be doing okay, for the moment.
Anyhow, the car. Well i have the torque boxes welded in and i went ahead and did a copy job on some homemade frame connectors, and have them installed, i used some 1.5x2 tubing.
Finished the driver side floor and also replaced the trunk floor. I think i am finally coming to the finale of welding and sheetmetal repair. I still have to weld in the side marker lights (70-71 style) in the front fenders. But i need to strip the paint off them first. Hopefully be doing that in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2009 - 11:10:45 PM »
I have the underside complete and ready for liner. I have decided to use the Raptor brand. I have heard a lot of good about this brand. I thought about tinting it to match the car, however i think i will stay with black, in case i repaint the car in the future.
Any body shoot their underside with liner? i need some ideas of how far up to come on the front. How about the inside front fenders and the opposite side of the engine bay sheet metal(not sure what they call this)?

Offline Travis72

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2009 - 04:26:21 PM »
I did bedliner on the underside of mine.  A good break point is the firewall to floorpan seam, which is were I stopped mine.  I also had the bedliner applied on the underside of the fenders and the outside of the engine bay sheetmetal.

Good luck.  I've heard good things about Raptor as well.  Post some pics so we can see how it comes out!

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2009 - 06:07:10 PM »
Will do travis. I think this will be good to get done, brings some closure to a lot of work. Once i get the underside sprayed, i will start working on the suspension, so i can get this car back on 4 wheels.  :bananasmi

Offline KNOT0623

• 1970 A66 Challenger
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2009 - 02:41:55 PM »
Looking Good!!! :cheers:
Get in, Sit Down, Shut up and HOLD ON!!!!
1970 A66 340 Challenger 4-speed
1970 T/A Challenger 4-speed
2006 Ram 2500 Diesel
2008 BMW M3 Vert

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2009 - 09:24:48 PM »
This past week i was able to get leadwork done on the passenger rear fender to door jamb and roof. I was able to talk to Mike ( Topcat) and get a little bit of his expertise and help, and then i jumped right in and got after it. It wasn't too bad at all. My car was still on the rotisserie so i was able to turn it up a bit to flatten out the areas i was working on and therefore minimize runoff. I think the hardest part was the Tinning part, i was using the Eastwood stuff and i couldn't get it to cover well. It turned out it was my error, i was wiping down and cleaning up before it had a chance to etch. But once i got the tinning part down, the rest was a lot easier. I have it filed down flush, but will have to do some finish work on it later. First shots are of the c pillar, and then the lower door jamb to fender.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2009 - 09:27:10 PM »
If anyone sees something that isn't right, i would appreciate a little advice. Like i say this was my first time and i still have the other side to do. :popcorn: :1zhelp:

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2009 - 10:09:48 PM »
That is what I was taught when I got in a job with a body shop.  That looks good
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2009 - 10:58:42 PM »
i think the lead is the way to go especially to fill a big area like that. exactly what i am going to do one day hopefully
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2009 - 11:55:59 PM »
Looks great Jerald. Glad I could help you. You did real good I think.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2009 - 07:53:07 AM »
Looks good! If smoothing out the lead with that hand held thingie (don't know what it is called) starts to bother you, an anglegrinder with a sanding disc is excellent for that job and zillion times faster. Only problem is that getting a mirror straight finish on longer surfaces with that is bit hard and it usually needs a thin coat of mud to fix the minor imperfections. In my case, I don't mind if there is bit mud over the lead worked area. Just remember to use a respirator if sanding lead with an anglegrinder.

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)