Author Topic: Long term project Engine Build 440  (Read 60420 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project ( Vinyl top )
« Reply #180 on: May 19, 2010 - 11:53:14 PM »
Few more pictures showing todays progress. Have it all glued to the edges. worked on the gutters tonight. As you can see i have quite an assortment of clamps and paint sticks holding it in the gutter.    :bigsmile:   I ran out of clamps, so i will have to finish the front tommorow and then probably the rear window area first of next week.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2010 - 01:41:15 AM »
looks good from here  :ylsuper:
*** Bart ***

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2010 - 12:28:32 PM »
Started working on a few peices of trim. Bought a Harbor Freight buffing wheel and Eastwood anvil and hammer set. With a few pointers from some guys that know what their doing, i tackled my trim repair. My vinyl roof peices were bent up some and were probably in the roughest shape. Made a little tool that fit inside perfectly, and ran it along and tapped out as much of the dings i could. Tapped out the bends and filed down some of the rough spots. Then on to the buffer. Wow, that turned out to be my best friend. You can make anything look good with a buffer.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #183 on: May 26, 2010 - 12:34:07 PM »
Made a little more progress on my vinyl top as well. I now have the front completed as well as the sides. I buffed up the roof rail trim and installed them. Now i just lack gluing down the back end around the rear window. Will be doing that today.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #184 on: May 26, 2010 - 12:50:38 PM »
Very nice progress!!! :cheers:  You did a very nice job restoring your trim pieces, too!! :grinyes: :thumbsup:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2010 - 02:03:29 PM »
 :2thumbs: Fantastic!  :bigshades: Looks like I found someone in Kennewick that restores trim!  :stirpot:  :icon16:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #186 on: May 26, 2010 - 03:58:37 PM »
did your car come with a vinyl top before?

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #187 on: May 26, 2010 - 04:03:01 PM »
:2thumbs: Fantastic!  :bigshades: Looks like I found someone in Kennewick that restores trim!  :stirpot:  :icon16:
   :smilielol:  Trim restoration!  Who me?   :roflsmiley:   Actually it wasn't as bad as i thought it might be. The buffing and polishing do real good at hiding flaws, as long as you can get the peices fairly straight.  When your ready for your vinyl top Mike, i have a screaming deal for you.    :bigsmile:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #188 on: May 26, 2010 - 04:05:54 PM »
did your car come with a vinyl top before?
  Yep.  But i had to replace 1 quarter the rear panel and roof skin. So i have no hloes for the trim. That comes next. I just cant bear the thought of drilling holes.   :puke:

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #189 on: May 26, 2010 - 04:46:05 PM »
   :smilielol:  Trim restoration!  Who me?   :roflsmiley:   Actually it wasn't as bad as i thought it might be. The buffing and polishing do real good at hiding flaws, as long as you can get the peices fairly straight.  When your ready for your vinyl top Mike, i have a screaming deal for you.    :bigsmile:
Great job anyway! Actually I was thinking more along the lines of my front and rear bumpers!!!  :smilielol: :roflsmiley:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2010 - 09:49:14 PM »
Nice job on the trim! Can you show a pic of the small anvil piece you made?

Thanks,

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2010 - 01:34:00 AM »
  Yep.  But i had to replace 1 quarter the rear panel and roof skin. So i have no hloes for the trim. That comes next. I just cant bear the thought of drilling holes.   :puke:

If you don't want to drill holes, you have the option of using a stud welder to weld the stud rivets on. Here's a pic of like what I did. But you would have to sand back the paint up to a 1 inch circle for ground electrode is the downside. 

Nice work so far. 
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #192 on: May 27, 2010 - 07:47:42 PM »
Great job anyway! Actually I was thinking more along the lines of my front and rear bumpers!!!  :smilielol: :roflsmiley:
  You Killing me!    :bigsmile:

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2010 - 07:53:32 PM »
Nice job on the trim! Can you show a pic of the small anvil piece you made?

Thanks,

Dan
I'll try and dig it out and get you a closeup.  I would not waste your money on the Eastwodd tools( small anvil and hammer). Just make something to tap against and go and buy some small hammers from harbor freight. However the book that came with it was very helpful and had some good ideas.  The little peice i made to slide down the trim, took me about 15 min. to make. All you need is a peice of flat bar that can be grind down to fit up the trim. 

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Long term project ( Glass)
« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2010 - 11:17:04 PM »
Well the top is done, and the trim is installed , so now i will have to change my subject again.  The last couple days were rainy days and things were slow at the farm, so i played hooky and finished the top and also cleaned up and installed my rear window. Used all 3M materials, primer, tube of adhesive/filler, and the 5/16 bead. The trim did not require any repair, but needed to be cleaned up and buffed. Now that it is in, i wish i had waited and took it down to the tinting shop and had it tinted before i installed. Mwybe i will try that myself, heck i have done everything else myself   :bigsmile: 
Heres a few more pics anyhow. I am going to start on the side windows later next week. I will have to order a new front window next week also. I had it quoted/installed for $178 last year. i am sure it has went up since then.